Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Might be a good time to plan a vacation to China.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Location: An island off the coast of Florida. (Ok - if you really need to know it's Vero Beach)
Sell? Not yet.
DW and I are 62/62. 100% equities 31 years. FIRE'd August 2019. Non-cola pension cashed out Dec 2022 before segmentation rates reduced balance - rolled to MM fund, max SS for DH and DW at FRA. Mega retiree health available. IRA rollover from 401k Jan 2020 for NUA treatment. LTCG for 3 years. Next few years will be IRA cash withdrawals or until Stock Market recovers. AA 33% stocks, 67% MM and T-Bills. Rising equity glidepath.
atmsmshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

I just got back from camping (which was a blessing with no internet); it looks like I need to go again!!
freetodream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #44

Since my only moves are to take a little off the table at all time highs there's nothing for me to do.

Now the tariff thing ticks me off. Merely a tax on the US consumer. My only strategy is to minimize purchases of goods and blow my dough on experiences.
Old 08-05-2019, 02:24 PM   #45

I've only read two of his books from the library, don't have cable so i do not watch him at all, but i do use thestreet.com's info on company financial reports, as it is free to access.
I did see this quote from Cramer, today:

"Remember we are a domestic, service economy, not a big exporter, so it's not all that hard to find good stocks."
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #46

Already took my allocation for the year (until April 2020). I’ll worry about it then
Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #47
gone traveling

https://youtu.be/cVsQLlk-T0s

Cowbell good!
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
Might be a good time to plan a vacation to China.
I watched some videos posted by a Youtuber who lived in China. He described how the government propaganda machine occasionally whipped the citizenry into a frenzy against foreign foes, past and present. They have rioted and smashed stores selling Japanese goods, for example, even though the store are Chinese owned, while policemen stood and watched. China recently banned its citizens from traveling to Taiwan.

I would be hesitant to visit China right now.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:49 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I watched some videos posted by a Youtuber who lived in China. He described how the government propaganda machine occasionally whipped the citizenry into a frenzy against foreign foes, past and present. They have rioted and smashed stores selling Japanese goods, for example, even though the store are Chinese owned, while policemen stood and watched. China recently banned its citizens from traveling to Taiwan.

I would be hesitant to visit China right now.

Snyder: China Is Extremely Angry, And Now Considers The United States To Be Enemy #1

"Have relations between the United States and China finally reached the point of no return? At this moment, it would be difficult to overstate how angry the Chinese are with the United States. "

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...tes-be-enemy-1
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #50
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post
Snyder: China Is Extremely Angry, And Now Considers The United States To Be Enemy #1

"Have relations between the United States and China finally reached the point of no return? At this moment, it would be difficult to overstate how angry the Chinese are with the United States. "

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...tes-be-enemy-1
When you say Chinese, you mean the government of China or the country's people?
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:03 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I would say that the Chinese people are behind their government 99%.

When they have no access to any outside information, what do you think? For example, mainland Chinese do not know or are shown how large the demonstration crowd is in Hong Kong. And practically none has heard of Tiananmen protest and massacre.

Back on traveling to China, now is not the time.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
When you say Chinese, you mean the government of China or the country's people?
Well, I didn't say it. I just quoted the first line in the article. So, I guess everyone could interpret it differently.
ESRwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:16 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

It's not just the trade war hurting farmers. RIN waivers granted to refiners is taking a toll also.

A fairly recent article: https://www.radioiowa.com/2019/07/31/145604/

A northwest Iowa ethanol plant suspended production this week “until further notice.” Plymouth Energy in Merrill is one of at least 10 ethanol plants in the country to temporarily shut down. Three others have closed.

Shaw said this supply-demand imbalance is caused by waivers federal officials are granting big oil companies — so refiners don’t have to blend as much ethanol into gasoline.

Shaw said if the EPA were to adhere to the rules outlined by the Renewable Fuels Standard, there would be an “immediate impact” on corn prices and ethanol production would quickly rebound.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

A "Who blinks first" scenario?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:50 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Luckily for me Fidelity and I cashed out about $800,000 that I had in one of my IRA’s so all that money has not been affected by the drop Friday or today so I’m gonna hold onto that cash position for the next few days and see what happens then I will jump right back in
Florida, that's what I had planned, too--even did a post about "going to cash"-- but ... I didn't. Hoping it will not be a long-term thing, but that'll teach me to wait when I feel like things are overblown ...
SoReadyToRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESRwannabe View Post

Here's a different take on how the entrepreneurs might be feeling. Very interesting:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/world/201...minxin-pei.cnn
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:59 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

When the exchange rate hits 10:1, it will be a good time to book a trip to China...
DINKFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINKFIRE View Post
When the exchange rate hits 10:1, it will be a good time to book a trip to China...
I have been to China at least 20 times on business. In my retired life, there will NEVER be a good time to book a trip to China.
Old 08-05-2019, 04:12 PM   #59

Bought 300 shares of XOM at 69.80
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Thoughts on the farm economy? Not much said recently about the Chinese switch from the US to Brazil on soy beans among other commodities. The seasonal market is a moving proposition, and not just resolved by temporary storage.
The US farms sell soybeans to Brazil. The Brazilian's sell soybeans to China. Problem solved.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote