Chip and PIN credit cards for Europe

The devices at Chillis do allow tipping (as well as sell games on the side). In Chillis the device is assigned to a single table so it stays there and this is how it knows which bill to present. It presents a screen where you can set the tip with a slider to vary the amount. Of course they still swipe and don't use the chip.

Right. They've had this for years now. Serious time saving for wait staff. Don't see why most US chains aren't already doing this.

There's certainly a cost to equipping terminals at every table.

I'm just talking about those little handheld things that are a little more bigger and thicker than one of those old cordless phones.

The waitress brings it over to your table in Europe when you tell them you want to pay by credit card. You can enter a PIN there or it will print out a slip for you to sign if you have a US card. But the newest ones also have the NFC chip and will show the contactless symbol on the screen. That is when I use my iPhone.

I usually tell them I want to tap or use contactless. Then they have to enter in the amount and then the contactless prompt comes up.

Anyways those little terminals are maybe $200 at the most.

A lot of small restaurants may not be able to absorb that cost, especially if they need to get several of them.

But my suspicion is that many banks, especially in Spain, will lease or provide those terminals, just so you end up using those banks to clear the transaction, for which they get a fee.

So I contrast that with Austrian and German restaurants who want cash unless the bill is at least 20-25 Euros.

In Spain, a lot of my bills were 11-12 Euros (and they were some of the best deals, good 2-3 course meal with house wine in Asturias).

There's certainly a cost to equipping terminals at every table.

I'm just talking about those little handheld things that are a little more bigger and thicker than one of those old cordless phones.

The waitress brings it over to your table in Europe when you tell them you want to pay by credit card. You can enter a PIN there or it will print out a slip for you to sign if you have a US card. But the newest ones also have the NFC chip and will show the contactless symbol on the screen. That is when I use my iPhone.

I usually tell them I want to tap or use contactless. Then they have to enter in the amount and then the contactless prompt comes up.

Anyways those little terminals are maybe $200 at the most.

A lot of small restaurants may not be able to absorb that cost, especially if they need to get several of them.

But my suspicion is that many banks, especially in Spain, will lease or provide those terminals, just so you end up using those banks to clear the transaction, for which they get a fee.

So I contrast that with Austrian and German restaurants who want cash unless the bill is at least 20-25 Euros.

In Spain, a lot of my bills were 11-12 Euros (and they were some of the best deals, good 2-3 course meal with house wine in Asturias).

I think you mean POS terminals like these. They are ubiquitous in Canada.

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produ...-of-sale/accept-payments-at-point-of-sale.jsp

I pay cash for meals at 'family' owned restaurants. Otherwise, the bank fees take to big a chunk of their profits. I enjoy the smaller family restaurants and want them to stay in business.

Same with hotels. Small family hotels have to give a huge chunk of the rent to those online booking outfits, so, if possible, I reserve a room directly with the hotel.

Penfed chip and pin Visa works well in Europe for me including many ticket machines. My Barclay card is supposed to work as chip-n-pin but I have never actually had it work as a true chip-n-pin in Europe, even after using it as chip and signature for the first transaction. Thankfully, both have no foreign transaction fees.

I pay cash for meals at 'family' owned restaurants. Otherwise, the bank fees take to big a chunk of their profits. I enjoy the smaller family restaurants and want them to stay in business.

Same with hotels. Small family hotels have to give a huge chunk of the rent to those online booking outfits, so, if possible, I reserve a room directly with the hotel.

Penfed chip and pin Visa works well in Europe for me including many ticket machines. My Barclay card is supposed to work as chip-n-pin but I have never actually had it work as a true chip-n-pin in Europe, even after using it as chip and signature for the first transaction. Thankfully, both have no foreign transaction fees.

If you look up the chip verification list for the Barclay card you'll see that it is signature priority.

The only US issued PIN priority cards currently AFAIK are the First Tech Credit Union MasterCard and a United Nations credit union credit card.

I don't know about mushrooms. I'm not a big fan of indigenous Austrian cooking, which is often schnitzel or some kind of boiled beef or pork. Had some great risotto which came with some grilled beef filets. It had chanterelles and I often saw menu items with chanterelles.

I don't know if those are indigenous to Austria?
Austrians promote telling you that kangaroos are not indigenous there. Many signs & items for sale saying so.

I gather you haven't been to Iceland, then. I just traveled from Zurich to Reykjavik, and can promise you that Switzerland is bargain-basement compared to Iceland. Oslo, Norway is also far pricier than Switzerland. I'll agree that Switzerland is more expensive than most countries, but nothing prepared me for the sticker shock in Reykjavik.
Good to know. Thanks. I'll go elsewhere.

I know you addressed this to jonat, but here are a few examples from my trip last month: Horsemeat steak with baked potato and salad, $36 before drinks or dessert (posted outside- did not try it). Long lines every day outside hot dog stand where one went for $4.50. Large plastic cup of fresh veggies and dip (similar to those found in convenience stores here)- $7. Dinner with a friend- two medium-size pizzas and 4 beers- $62.
Lucerne: medium-large pizza, large salad, 500 mL bottle sparkling water, 500 mL house wine: $60.

50cl flask of house wine - $35. (Alcohol is VERY expensive - one is advised to stock up at the airport store before heading into town if you can.) The $4.50 hot dog is actually pretty good for the price (had one yesterday). But I bought a simple wool cap and two pairs of Polarfleece gloves, not even made in Iceland - $150.

Some things seem expensive but are worth it - the Braud & Co. cinnamon rolls, at $4.50, for example. But last night my wife and I had dinner for two (set menu) with 50cl wine - $210.
I make a point of taking 750 mL bourbon on trips to Europe & elsewhere out of USA. Saves a lot. Relaxing.

I gather you haven't been to Iceland, then. I just traveled from Zurich to Reykjavik, and can promise you that Switzerland is bargain-basement compared to Iceland.

I was in Lucerne and Zurich last week, and although everything is very expensive, I would say that Iceland prices are pretty comparable (my last trip there was in 2014).

I make a point of taking 750 mL bourbon on trips to Europe & elsewhere out of USA. Saves a lot. Relaxing.

Yeah, I got by with a very nice bottle of Scotch I picked up in Boston Duty-Free before I left the US. Still had some when I returned home.

I gather you haven't been to Iceland, then. I just traveled from Zurich to Reykjavik, and can promise you that Switzerland is bargain-basement compared to Iceland. Oslo, Norway is also far pricier than Switzerland. I'll agree that Switzerland is more expensive than most countries, but nothing prepared me for the sticker shock in Reykjavik.

I've never been to Iceland so I don't have an opinion on this, but I see that numbeo disagrees with you: https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livi...=Switzerland&city2=Zurich&displayCurrency=USD

That site seems to focus on cost of living, not cost of visiting. I can speak only from my own experience, going from one to the other directly and having spent several days in each.

That site seems to focus on cost of living, not cost of visiting.

That's a fair comment. Usually I wouldn't expect that the city that's 20% more expensive to live in would also be a relative "bargain basement" for travelers, but maybe Reykjavik is special. In this survey of costs for travelers, Reykjavik is the 2nd-most expensive European city--2nd only to Zurich: https://www.priceoftravel.com/2427/europe-3-star-traveler-index/

Barclaycard Arrival+ Mastercard

I just returned from a trip to Munich for Oktorberfest (definitely something to do at least once if you enjoy beer and crowds) where I used my Barclaycard in several different situations. In Munich's main airport, the card required me to enter a PIN when I used it to buy a train/metro pass (Isarcard) from a machine. I did have my PIN with me, written on a piece of paper!, so I was able to complete the transaction. However, I did not have my PIN handy when I tried to use my card to buy groceries from a self-checkout machine, so I had to use Euros. I was not prompted for a PIN when I used the card to buy some souvenirs at a shop where an attendant handled the transaction. In summary, I did not encounter any situation where my card didn't work if you ignore the stupid user issue.

Regarding Reykajavik, I was chatting with 2 travelers in the border control line coming home and they said buying food there was very expensive. At least 50% more than what I spent in Munich. They bought food in markets to save money.

I used our Chase no fee, no FX cashback card in Berlin and France everywhere. Also used NFC in several merchants. Tolls was the most convenient.

In one parking lot, it was rejected and they would not accept my Euros! After many tries, I switched to another machine and the CC worked fine.

All restaurants accepted the tip amount added to the bill. And thanked us.

That's interesting that in your experience every restaurant accepted adding the tip to the bill. For our extended Netherlands and some Germany trip this summer, only one restaurant offered that option.

Tipping is still uncommon in Europe, though as more and more American tourists, who are accustomed to tipping visit, it is showing up with increasing frequency. On my recent travels through multiple European countries, the option to tip at restaurants was in the minority.

Tipping is still uncommon in Europe, though as more and more American tourists, who are accustomed to tipping visit, it is showing up with increasing frequency. On my recent travels through multiple European countries, the option to tip at restaurants was in the minority.

The option is always there to leave some cash on the table or the tip. And I don't think it's that uncommon for Europeans to tip. It's just much smaller amounts and left in cash, or refusal to take change or only taking part of the change when paying in cash. I've seen Europeans do the last two pretty often.

That's interesting that in your experience every restaurant accepted adding the tip to the bill. For our extended Netherlands and some Germany trip this summer, only one restaurant offered that option.
It was never offered. I would just say: Please make the amount XX and they would say thank you and proceed with the transaction. In Germany and France. No one ever refused to do it. They always seemed to understand.

It saved carrying a bunch of small change around. And I never noticed lots of change left on tables so I am thinking that others do the same thing. I used 10% as a guideline. More for exceptional service.

I just spent 5 days in Ireland. I did not use cash even once. For small purchases I used contactless payment. For larger purchases, I used Chip and PIN. I was always offered a choice between billing in Euros or in Canadian dollars (better exchange rates with the latter). WiFi was everywhere I went. The technology appears to be at the same level as in Canada.

Here's an update: I got a new Chip-and-Pin card from 1st Tech. I plan to use it in Canada and Europe, and I was wondering how I can check to make sure it's working.

A few days ago I wandered into a local grocery store that is owned by Kroger. I slipped the card into the machine expecting to have to sign a slip as usual. Instead, up popped a message asking me to enter my pin!!!! I did and it worked, showing Pin Verification on the receipt.

One problem: The request for my pin was in Spanish. :confused:

One problem: The request for my pin was in Spanish. :confused:

I suspect it's a setting in the individual machine.

Last week I was using mine often in Sweden. About half the time it asked me for the PIN in Swedish, the rest of the time it asked in English. Not a big deal IMHO because it's pretty easy to figure out what it wants.

Back
Top Bottom