Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I spent the past month traveling in 6 European countries with my Canadian Chip & Pin card and found the procedure to be exactly as it is in Canada. No problems whatsoever. And there are no unexpected charges on my credit card.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 07:44 PM   #82
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I spent the past month traveling in 6 European countries with my Canadian Chip & Pin card and found the procedure to be exactly as it is in Canada. No problems whatsoever. And there are no unexpected charges on my credit card.
Our Canadian friends had no problems with their CHIP and PIN card in the same machine that rejected our Penfed CHIP and PIN.

Sigh, I live in a city that is the center of the US space program and sent men to the moon, but I can't get a CHIP and PIN that works outside of the country. Still waiting for the replacement card from Penfed since they don't understand why their card won't work with a PIN and believe I have a card with a defective PIN.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Not about technology. It's about the greedy fight over transaction fees.

That is why there isn't a widespread system of mobile payments either.

We should be able to load up our credit cards and things like Oyster card credits on apps. On our smartphones and use them to pay, rather than pulling out credit cards.

The tech exists but none of the players want to compromise on fees.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:28 PM   #84
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
Not about technology. It's about the greedy fight over transaction fees.

That is why there isn't a widespread system of mobile payments either.

We should be able to load up our credit cards and things like Oyster card credits on apps. On our smartphones and use them to pay, rather than pulling out credit cards.

The tech exists but none of the players want to compromise on fees.
I'm afraid that's the top and bottom of it, but BofA, Chase and Amex all stated that they only provide CHIP and Signature, Penfed seem convinced from both their website and the discussions I've had with them that they provide CHIP and PIN. I don't think Penfed are lying, they just can't get the technology right ( or whoever is producing their cards)
Old 05-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

I have read posts that say that the PenFed chip and PIN works fine in the UK with the PIN, so some of the cards work as expected.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #86
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I have read posts that say that the PenFed chip and PIN works fine in the UK with the PIN, so some of the cards work as expected.
Since I am waiting for the 3rd chip and pin card I have requested from Penfed I'm sure you can understand why I am doubtful that I will have one that works as it should, in Australia when we get there in July. It will only be a problem in unattended kiosks which should be infrequent and I will have my UK chip and pin Visa debit card that I know works, but has transaction fees. (I have enough money in my UK bank account to cover those inconveniences should they occur).
Old 05-29-2014, 01:25 AM   #87
Give me a forum ...

There's suppose to be some priority settings in the chip about which form of authentication it prefers.

Also there is a bias against foreign cards. You can't do certain web transactions for instance. In Amsterdam, the terminal screens immediately switched to English when I inserted my Chase Sapphire Preferred card so it tracks the nationality of the bearer.

And probably changes the authentication requirements.

I've heard of some French sites accepting cards from nearby uk and Benelux but not more distant EU countries.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:04 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There's suppose to be some priority settings in the chip about which form of authentication it prefers.

Also there is a bias against foreign cards. You can't do certain web transactions for instance. In Amsterdam, the terminal screens immediately switched to English when I inserted my Chase Sapphire Preferred card so it tracks the nationality of the bearer.

I've heard of some French sites accepting cards from nearby uk and Benelux but not more distant EU countries.
Yeah, sounds like this has something to do with it. I've read on the web that in France, if it's not tied to a French bank account, some kiosks won't accept it. What a pain.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:12 AM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Also, cards with a VISA logo seem to be more widely accepted than others in Europe.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Maybe there's a way to report to Visa which kiosks are rejecting the cards.

They are part of a big push to get chipped cards, tho not necessarily chip and PIN.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:21 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Yes, after inserting my Chip & Pin card in the Point of Sale terminal, I was repeatedly asked whether I would like the bill in Canadian dollars or in Euros, Forints or Korunas, respectively.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #92
Administrator

Quote:
This is exactly what the Penfed rep told me, that at shops and restaurants it will prompt for a signature but will prompt for a PIN at unattended kiosks like pay and display car parks, where my card didn't work.

For this to work it would require chip and pin terminals to indicate which type they are and I don't see the financial benefits to the machine makers to make 2 types of terminal. (outside of the USA that is)

This is why I have little hope that when I receive my 3rd card that it will work any better at unattended kiosks. But I think it is better to complain and have them go to the expense of re-issuing cards than just living with what I've got. I have no auto-pay accounts set up on the card so getting a new card each time is no big hassle these days.

I just looked at the statements tab on my Penfed account, which lists past statements due to a major complaint by REWAHOO a few years ago, and this next card will be my 6th card in 6 years. I got my first card in June 2008, 3 have been compromised and I have now had 2 failed attempts at CHIP and PIN.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #93
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I just looked at the statements tab on my Penfed account, which lists past statements due to a major complaint by REWAHOO a few years ago...
I seriously doubt mine was the only complaint PenFed received, but I was happy to see them provide the ability to see my statements from reissued CC account numbers online. Bet they got tired of making and mailing paper copies when members like me insisted on having that information.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:56 AM   #94
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I seriously doubt mine was the only complaint PenFed received, but I was happy to see them provide the ability to see my statements from reissued CC account numbers online. Bet they got tired of making and mailing paper copies when members like me insisted on having that information.
I remember being impressed my your, ahem, ranting on this site about getting old statements after your card had been compromised and cancelled, that when I saw the new feature appear I thought to myself,"That's my mate REW got that fixed!!"
Just got back
Old 05-30-2014, 06:08 AM   #95
Dryer sheet wannabe

Just got back

We just returned the other day from a jaunt through Germany, Venice, and Amsterdam where we charged nearly everything to our card. Every other hotel, restaurant, bar, and store we visited was fine with our swipe and sign. The ONLY place we had a problem with was trying to purchase a train ticket from Amsterdam to Landstuhl and couldn't use our typical US swipe/sign card (kiosks be damned...we couldn't even use it at the counter. Cost us a 5 euro+3% fee on a 500 euro withdrawal from Travelex). The station had 1 ATM that was out of order so every foreigner without enough Euros had to wait in the Travelex line for money. Great racket they had going on there.

Didn't have time to get a chip and pin. We decided on Sunday to go to Venice on Monday, just one day later. Packed some bags, hit BWI, and off we went for a week...
23Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Red View Post
We just returned the other day from a jaunt through Germany, Venice, and Amsterdam where we charged nearly everything to our card. Every other hotel, restaurant, bar, and store we visited was fine with our swipe and sign. The ONLY place we had a problem with was trying to purchase a train ticket from Amsterdam to Landstuhl and couldn't use our typical US swipe/sign card (kiosks be damned...we couldn't even use it at the counter. Cost us a 5 euro+3% fee on a 500 euro withdrawal from Travelex). The station had 1 ATM that was out of order so every foreigner without enough Euros had to wait in the Travelex line for money. Great racket they had going on there.

Didn't have time to get a chip and pin. We decided on Sunday to go to Venice on Monday, just one day later. Packed some bags, hit BWI, and off we went for a week...
They accepted my BofA chip and signature card just fine at the train ticket desk in Amsterdam Central Station, and yes their sign indicated no swipe cards.
Old 05-30-2014, 08:05 AM   #97
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Since I am waiting for the 3rd chip and pin card I have requested from Penfed I'm sure you can understand why I am doubtful that I will have one that works as it should, in Australia when we get there in July. It will only be a problem in unattended kiosks which should be infrequent and I will have my UK chip and pin Visa debit card that I know works, but has transaction fees. (I have enough money in my UK bank account to cover those inconveniences should they occur).
Alan,

I have a question of how the PINs work when PenFed reissues a chip enabled card. Do the existing PINs carry over, or are new ones created?

The reason that I ask is that when I initially requested a chip enabled card (for my penfed existing magstrip card). I was prompted to enter a PIN on the web site. I then received a slip in the US Mail containing a totally different PIN. As such I am totally confused.

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #98
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Alan,

I have a question of how the PINs work when PenFed reissues a chip enabled card. Do the existing PINs carry over, or are new ones created?

The reason that I ask is that when I initially requested a chip enabled card (for my penfed existing magstrip card). I was prompted to enter a PIN on the web site. I then received a slip in the US Mail containing a totally different PIN. As such I am totally confused.

Thanks for any info that you can provide.

-gauss
Well, my new CHIP and PIN card arrived, exactly the same number as the old card, different 3 digit CCV number on the back. The rep told me I will receive a new PIN in the mail, but this card actually says VISA Signature on the front of the card so I definitely don't expect it to work any better than the CHIP card it is replacing.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:20 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets

So does it even make sense for me to go to Pen Fed and get a chip and pin cc for Europe UK trip in Oct. What other card would be comparable? I have an Am Ex and a Bank of America cash back Visa but I need to check on foreign transaction fees.

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD
Debinnov a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 06:26 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Alan, you are the chip and pin crusader for the rest of us! I would wager that you know a lot more about how these cards should work than the credit card companies issuing them in the USA do.