Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #121
Administrator

I got my PIN in the mail today for the new Penfed CHIP card I got a few days ago. It clearly states that this PIN is for use in ATM machines to receive cash. So, with the words "VISA Signature" on the front of the card and the PIN instructions today and past recent experience then I'm sure I have a Penfed CHIP and Signature card despite what their website and their rep says.

I listened to a BBC Moneybox program a few weeks back where they were warning about a spike in fraud where thieves see a "target" entering a PIN at a machine then either later steal the wallet or purse, and obtain cash from an ATM before the card is cancelled.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2014, 04:20 PM   #122
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I was on the USAA site yesterday and they said they would be replacing card with chip and pin, starting 2014 and would be complete by 2016. They also said if you were planning a trip to Europe the would replace your card on request now.
Looks good, and the USAA site clearly states CHIP and PIN, with instructions on how to use it.

http://content.usaa.com/mcontent/sta...ocs/126885.pdf
Old 06-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #123
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I got my PIN in the mail today for the new Penfed CHIP card I got a few days ago. It clearly states that this PIN is for use in ATM machines to receive cash. So, with the words "VISA Signature" on the front of the card and the PIN instructions today and past recent experience then I'm sure I have a Penfed CHIP and Signature card despite what their website and their rep says.

Alan, I don't think the 'signature' part refers to the card being a chip and signature type. The 'signature' branding appears on non chip cards as well. It's a minor benefits upgrade to standard Visa cards ... you supposedly get priority access to concerts, restaurants, etc. I did get a free blanket when we went to a Steely Dan concert a while back.
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:08 PM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My BofA chip and signature VISA says signature, but my PenFed chip and pin cash rewards VISA says platinum in the same spot, so who knows.

Actually, the PIN they sent me says it can be used in any ATM. It doesn't say ONLY for ATM use.

AFAIK - I have the right card.

We opted for a system generated PIN. Maybe there is no difference.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #125
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
My BofA chip and signature VISA says signature, but my PenFed chip and pin cash rewards VISA says platinum in the same spot, so who knows.

Actually, the PIN they sent me says it can be used in any ATM. It doesn't say ONLY for ATM use.

AFAIK - I have the right card.

We opted for a system generated PIN. Maybe there is no difference.
The CHIP and PIn card I had that only worked as chip and signature said Platinum in the same spot but as I said above it wouldn't work in an unattended kiosk in Canada and never prompted for a PIN which is why they said it was a faulty CHIP and changed it. Now it says Signature where it once said Platinum, and I did opt for a system generated PIN as that is what the rep told me would work.

I don't expect it to work as CHIP and PIN in Australia, but I have a backup UK card that will work.

I surrender.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:08 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The CHIP and PIn card I had that only worked as chip and signature said Platinum in the same spot but as I said above it wouldn't work in an unattended kiosk in Canada and never prompted for a PIN which is why they said it was a faulty CHIP and changed it. Now it says Signature where it once said Platinum, and I did opt for a system generated PIN as that is what the rep told me would work.

I don't expect it to work as CHIP and PIN in Australia, but I have a backup UK card that will work.

I surrender.
Hi Alan

You said the one time that the car park machine you tried your card in said VISA or MasterCard only, and you had an American Express. And it did tell you invalid card. That makes sense if it didn't accept Amex. Do I have it right?

Thinking on it further, I'm not worried about the language in the PIN document as you would only have one PIN for a card, I would think, so it seems more likely that PenFed just uses some standard language in their PIN letters.

As far as I've read, some folks have been able to use the PenFed VISA chip and pin cards in some automated machines in Europe even though they require sig in manned locations, so things have worked in the past.

I'm glad I opted for system generated PIN. We'll find out when I get around to using it.

I expect the signature label just indicates level of service on your card, and is not related to signature only.

Audrey
Old 06-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #127
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Alan

You said the one time that the car park machine you tried your card in said VISA or MasterCard only, and you had an American Express. And it did tell you invalid card. That makes sense if it didn't accept Amex. Do I have it right?
Correct.

I tried the Penfed VISA twice and the machine just sat there with no message, but when I inserted my Amex CHIP and signature it rejected it with an "Invalid card" message. That told me the machine was reading the card, and was confirmed when my Canadian friend used his VISA card and it prompted for a PIN.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Correct.

I tried the Penfed VISA twice and the machine just sat there with no message, but when I inserted my Amex CHIP and signature it rejected it with an "Invalid card" message. That told me the machine was reading the card, and was confirmed when my Canadian friend used his VISA card and it prompted for a PIN.
OK - didn't realize you also had a PenFed VISA with chip. But if your PenFed VISA was chip and signature, it probably would not have worked anyway.

Anyway, I think you cleared up my confusion from some of you earlier posts.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #129
Administrator

Quote:
OK - didn't realize you also had a PenFed VISA with chip. But if your PenFed VISA was chip and signature, it probably would not have worked anyway.

Anyway, I think you cleared up my confusion from some of you earlier posts.
Just to summarize, this is my 3rd "CHIP and PIN" Penfed VISA card since October since the reps and website keep assuring me that they are CHIP and PIN but I've only ever had them work as CHIP and signature. Maybe I am just unlucky.

The following is the last e-mail I received before requesting my last card, the one that has VISA Signature stamped on the front of it.

Quote:
PenFed Member Service

May 19

Thank you for contacting Pentagon Federal Credit Union.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you. This
is not a known issue for our Chip/PIN cards. If the PIN you chose is not working
with your PenFed Platinum Visa Signature Card, we can mail you a new system
generated PIN. For security reasons, we cannot accept your request by e-mail.
Please contact a Member Service Representative for assistance at 1 800 247-5626
or 510 376-7328 from a Class A DSN phone line, 7 days a week during the
following hours:

Monday - Friday: 7:00 am to 11:00 pm ET
Saturday - Sunday: 8:00 am to 11:00 pm ET

The representative will verify your security code.

If you need further assistance, please contact us.

Sincerely,
Amber Frank
Pentagon Federal Credit Union
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #130

Just a quick note to update. I have two cards with chips:
a Visa from Andrews Federal Credit Union, and
a MasterCard from USAA Federal Savings Bank.

I've been looking forward to putting them through their paces. Just spent a few days in Iceland and then some days in Belgium.

The USAA MasterCard always functioned as a true chip & PIN card.

The Visa was schizophrenic about it. In unattended kiosks such as ticket machines in train stations, it was simply a true chip & PIN card. But when there was human interaction such as in a shop when buying something, it asked for a signature.

Of course my regular swipe ATM card was fine for getting local cash from machines.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

USAA is US military or family of military?
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:35 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
USAA is US military or family of military?

No, that is just their insurance.
Anyone can open a bank account.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #133
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I've been looking forward to putting them through their paces. Just spent a few days in Iceland and then some days in Belgium.

The Visa was schizophrenic about it. In unattended kiosks such as ticket machines in train stations, it was simply a true chip & PIN card. But when there was human interaction such as in a shop when buying something, it asked for a signature.

Of course my regular swipe ATM card was fine for getting local cash from machines.
Good feedback, especially regarding the ATM's working with swipe cards.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The VISA is just showing its signature priority configuration. It only asks for a PIN if used in an unattended location. Most US chip and PIN cards are set up this way.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #135
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
No, that is just their insurance.
Anyone can open a bank account.
I just tried to apply for the USAA World Master Card, and was informed that credit cards are only available for military affiliates or family members of USAA insurance customers.

Sent from my DROID4 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
EasyAsianFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:47 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

You'd think the banks would issue chip and PIN if their US card holders travel to foreign countries and found anything other than chip and PIN isn't accepted.
Old 06-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I was on the USAA site yesterday and they said they would be replacing card with chip and pin, starting 2014 and would be complete by 2016. They also said if you were planning a trip to Europe the would replace your card on request now.
Thanks for the info. I usually use the chip and pin card issued by my European bank. But I am worried that my account there might be closed in the future due to FACTA. Since I already bank at USAA, it would be a convenient alternative. I already have a USAA Mastercard, but that card has a fee on foreign transactions. Hopefully their chip and pin card does not.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:46 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

BTW, has anyone found a good ATM card that doesn't impose fees for international ATM withdraws?

I've been using an Etrade card for years and looks like they've started imposing a 1% fee.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:48 AM   #139
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
BTW, has anyone found a good ATM card that doesn't impose fees for international ATM withdraws?
I believe that CapitalOne 360 checking (formerly Ing Direct) allows international ATM withdrawals with no international transaction fee.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #140
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

I've been using an Etrade card for years and looks like they've started imposing a 1% fee.
Schwab Bank ATM refunds all the ATM fees globally at the end of each month.
EasyAsianFrog is offline   Reply With Quote