Join Early Retirement Today

Clark Howard Retiring
Old 11-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Clark Howard Retiring

Although I haven't listened to him since leaving Atlanta, I used to really enjoy his finance show. His advice is varied but was always interesting and pretty credible in my opinion. Congrats and enjoy retirement Clark! Well, sort of...seems like he will still have a podcast and daily bits on the local stations in Atlanta.

https://www.ajc.com/life/radiotvtalk...dwwYrsSY9rt0l0
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #2

Well, of all the nerve! Practice what he preaches and then reaps the benefits.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well good for him. I have been a fan for years but haven't listened to him much lately. IMO his advice was pretty solid.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...target 65/35/0 AA TBD
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I understand his desire to move on. He is a man of SS age after all. And he does have prostate cancer, which is under 'watchful waiting'. Lately, he has commented on his show that he has several medical conditions that put him in the Covid high-risk category. Perhaps he needs more time to take care of his health.

He is one of the few voices of reason in today's sound-byte world.
The guy is a real Boy Scout. And, I mean that in the most complimentary terms.

I hope you are safe and well; neither imprisoned by anxiety nor liberated by foolhardiness.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I understand his desire to move on. He is a man of SS age after all. And he does have prostate cancer, which is under 'watchful waiting'. Lately, he has commented on his show that he has several medical conditions that put him in the Covid high-risk category. Perhaps he needs more time to take care of his health.

He is one of the few voices of reason in today's sound-byte world.
The guy is a real Boy Scout. And, I mean that in the most complimentary terms.
Ah man, I didn't know about his cancer deal. Bummer! When we lived in Atlanta, my DW and I volunteered for a few years with his "Clark's Kids" which provided toys for kiddos that were in state custody (foster care). He is most certainly a class act!
Old 11-30-2020, 03:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I haven't seen/heard his show in years but I thought he was pretty good.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Yeah, heard his announcement today. I listen to him daily and will miss his show but I am happy for him.
gattara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #8

I hope he has enough money for a decent retirement.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
HenryD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Maybe he'll show up here with a "Do I have enough?" post. Seriously I thought he was very good. Enjoyable and more comprehensive than just about anybody else but I never lived in a market that carried his show. I just listened here and there while traveling around. Bob Brinker and now Clark.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Haven't heard his show in years but I do check out his website for deals and info. Glad to hear he's not retiring from the web, only from his syndicated radio program.

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 05:08 PM   #12

Hope he can live on less than 4%!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Haven't heard his show in years but I do check out his website for deals and info. Glad to hear he's not retiring from the web, only from his syndicated radio program.
Yeah, I can't imagine him completely hanging it up. I can get that the daily grind of a radio show gets old, but website stuff, possible books in the future, staying active with some presence in the field of money management, I can still see that.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #13

One of the best shows on the radio. Sad to see him go.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

He mentioned he would still do podcasts. His information once helped me to help a gal I was dating save $200 on her new iPad. Thanks Clark!

I hope you are safe and well; neither imprisoned by anxiety nor liberated by foolhardiness.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 08:43 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Although I haven't listened to him since leaving Atlanta, I used to really enjoy his finance show. His advice is varied but was always interesting and pretty credible in my opinion. Congrats and enjoy retirement Clark! Well, sort of...seems like he will still have a podcast and daily bits on the local stations in Atlanta.

https://www.ajc.com/life/radiotvtalk...dwwYrsSY9rt0l0
I have not listened to his shows in yrs but I always liked him. I had a problem with a deposit at a hotel over 30 yrs ago and called his show. a few days later a person from the hotel called his show and twisted the info. around so I call back and got thru right after the show ended and the operator at the station put him on the line. after talking about the call he asked where we ended up staying and how my vacation went. We talked for about 5 minutes Real nice guy hope he has a great and long retirement
SJ1_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 08:14 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have always liked his shows and I think he might be ok in retirement!
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #17

I thought he was retired and did his show as a hobby, to help others.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:42 PM   #18

I am glad Clark is going to retire and enjoy life. Good for him. But I am also glad he will continue his website. I consult his website about consumer questions very frequently. I wonder if he knows about this retirement forum? It would be fun to get his perspective on some of our topics here.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #19
gone traveling

I too lived in Atlanta until the traffic did me in. Clark went into business in a travel agency upon receiving his MBA. He was successful enough to sell out and retire the first time at age 35.

Clark went to work writing articles about travel in the Atlanta Constitution newspaper. Then he went on WSM-750 doing snippets about travel. Then he opened an agency in association with the newspaper to help people solve various problems, and had a large volunteer staff help him. Later, Clark had the mid afternoon talk radio show about consumerism on WSM radio and it was such a hit that it was syndicated throughout much of the U.S.--on sister radio stations.

He used to come up with incredible travel deals, including weekend excursions in cahoots with Delta Airlines and later AirTran. The guy saved consumers $ millions in airfares and cheap accommodations. And he was so successful that he made a fortune with 3 jobs at once most of the time.

My hat's off to Clark. He's who taught my wife and I how to travel frugally and often. And 30 years later, we're still at it--except in 2020.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:45 AM   #20

My uncle told me about Clark 5 or 7 years ago, and I started getting his podcasts. Listened regularly for a while, but only sporadically lately. He brings a lot of value to a lot of people, and doesn't seem to put his interests ahead of his listeners, so he's in my 'hero' category. And bravery; not afraid to take a position against larger interests, and stick to it, while acknowledging the other side of the argument.

I've been amazed at how prolific he's been, so the idea of stepping away from the daily radio show isn't too surprising. I'll keep following whatever he decides to do.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote