Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 AM   #201
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmersinking View Post
2020, is doable. I would like to retire to get the stock grants and get locked in on the pension and simply go somewhere else for a few years and be productive. I guess I am afraid there is a hidden clause somewhere about noncompete in my defined pension and that is the only thing that keeps me in the 2023 class. Otherwise I would punch out.
Why would you go elsewhere for a few years? Financial reasons or just not ready?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2019, 02:50 PM   #202
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Why would you go elsewhere for a few years? Financial reasons or just not ready?

I have 2 in college and the thought of being part of a startup appeals to me much more that current situation. Even if class of 2023 got delayed.
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:38 AM   #203
Full time employment: Posting here.

Figure I better get on this thread. Planning on July 2020 right around my 46th birthday... giving myself the gift of freedom and I should earn just enough take home to cover my expenses for 2020 and allow me to max out my 401K one more year. Numbers work but I'm obsessively checking/rerunning them and definitely have a lot of anxiety/impatience.... going to be the longest 9 months of my life!
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:01 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Figure I better get on this thread. Planning on July 2020 right around my 46th birthday... giving myself the gift of freedom and I should earn just enough take home to cover my expenses for 2020 and allow me to max out my 401K one more year. Numbers work but I'm obsessively checking/rerunning them and definitely have a lot of anxiety/impatience.... going to be the longest 9 months of my life!
Welcome to the thread!
Old 10-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #205
Recycles dryer sheets

I am also class of 2020, retiring at 60!
Third Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:11 AM   #206
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Son View Post
I am also class of 2020, retiring at 60!
Welcome, Third Son - what's your story?
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #207

Hi, Class of 2020. I feel like I have one leg in your class and one in the 2015 Class. I semiretired in 2015 to teach part-time online (flexible hours/days for 9 months) at half my salary, and while the purists don't call me retired, I certainly feel retired in comparison to my former work life.

It looks like the online gig will run out in May, so at that point I will be fully retired, even to the purists (paychecks will continue until Sept 2020).

In my case, this has worked out fine, since my 1/2 salary is equivalent to pretty close to what DW and I will pull down in SS, which I plan to take in 4.5 years. I can pull from DW's IRA in 3 years, so the next 3 years are the hole in the donut and I have enough cash in my 403b (and 8% of the portfolio in a brokerage account) to carry us to that point when I can pull from both accounts. I'll probably pull about 4.5-5% withdrawals for 5 years (with a lot of flexible spending in that withdrawal), but that seems manageable; after I draw SS it should go down to 3.5-4%, then drop even further when DW starts drawing.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:42 AM   #208

Greetings!! Today is my LAST day at w*rk!! Retired officially tomorrow from all sources at age 49!! (although hubby & I still have a side gig selling jerky at beer/wine festivals, but down to only 5 shows per year)

On top of that, just signed closing documents for the sale of our home!! We bought our retirement home on a lake in July - and are living there while we wait on Mother Nature to be nice to get rolling on some renovations. Life is good!!
Old 10-31-2019, 12:58 PM   #209
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Greetings!! Today is my LAST day at w*rk!! Retired officially tomorrow from all sources at age 49!!
Class of 2019 is down the hall....

JUST KIDDING! Congratulations on your last day of work! I can't wait to be able to say that on 9/23/2020. The selling jerky thing sounds a lot more like fun than work. Enjoy!
Old 10-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
Greetings!! Today is my LAST day at w*rk!! Retired officially tomorrow from all sources at age 49!! (although hubby & I still have a side gig selling jerky at beer/wine festivals, but down to only 5 shows per year)

On top of that, just signed closing documents for the sale of our home!! We bought our retirement home on a lake in July - and are living there while we wait on Mother Nature to be nice to get rolling on some renovations. Life is good!!
An early graduation. I'm jealous.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:51 PM   #211

Joining class of 2020. DH and I will retire in November 2020. Plan is to move home from NCAL to SCal to our paid off home. DH pension will cover HC and everything else till I can access my 401k at 59.5.

We are looking forward to traveling and not working!
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
My story...retirement at 60
Old 11-01-2019, 06:03 AM   #212
Recycles dryer sheets

My story...retirement at 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggon View Post
Welcome, Third Son - what's your story?

36 years working in the same field with different two companies. Married 34 yrs. Four kids graduated college and self-supporting. No debt. $2.2M in tax deferred 401K, $200K in tIRA, $72K in Roth $160K in taxable funds and $120K cash.

How's that?
Third Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:32 PM   #213
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Son View Post
36 years working in the same field with different two companies. Married 34 yrs. Four kids graduated college and self-supporting. No debt. $2.2M in tax deferred 401K, $200K in tIRA, $72K in Roth $160K in taxable funds and $120K cash.

How's that?
Sounds like a winning combination to me!
Old 11-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #214
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, it wasn't my resignation letter, but I did send an email notification to our SVP about my plan to retire in 2020. Felt weird to hit the "Send" button, but I did it...
Old 11-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #215
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggon View Post
Well, it wasn't my resignation letter, but I did send an email notification to our SVP about my plan to retire in 2020. Felt weird to hit the "Send" button, but I did it...
That's great that it is now officially 'out there'. For me, that was the first thing that made it feel 'real'. I'm getting close to my 2020 date - 122 days and counting!
CoastboundPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:14 PM   #216

94 days on my count down calendar. Successor in place- that was the last hurdle to clear before I could submit my retirement plan to the committee. Turning that sucker in next week. Happy Thanksgiving y'all! Lots to be thankful for today.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #217
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
94 days on my count down calendar. Successor in place- that was the last hurdle to clear before I could submit my retirement plan to the committee. Turning that sucker in next week. Happy Thanksgiving y'all! Lots to be thankful for today.

Awesome you found a successor, hopefully they won't bail out this time.
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:31 PM   #218
Recycles dryer sheets

Great news, ugg!

My development is that when I get back to work on Monday, I'll see my first countdown numbers under 300*... it's gettin' "real" as Coastbound noted above!

* on my "with PTO" countdown. This 'could' be messed with since I'm still officially an employee, but I don't think they will.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:32 PM   #219

I知 pretty sure I知 a member of class of 2020. A week ago I informed work that I知 taking a one year sabbatical. But that one year may turn into 50.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:23 PM   #220

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
I知 pretty sure I知 a member of class of 2020. A week ago I informed work that I知 taking a one year sabbatical. But that one year may turn into 50.
I'd love a sabbatical but my industry doesn't do those. Congrats to you though- when does yours begin?