Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-11-2020, 04:58 PM   #541
Recycles dryer sheets

OTD, that was hilarious! I mean, yeah, sorry about the delayed retirement, but your post made me laugh. Excellent use of emoticons throughout...

Unfortunately, I'm fearing a very similar scenario for myself a bit later this year. All efforts to replace me were put on hold in early March...
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #542
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
My Husband retired Saturday Unfortunately, due to COVID, graduation ceremonies for the University were cancelled. He was looking forward to marching for the final time. Since he was teaching on-line, there was no real closure or saying goodbye to colleagues. Very anticlimactic, but happy nonetheless!
Congrats on the husband's retirement!

I just had a similar conversation with my niece who graduated from college this spring. She used the very same word - anticlimatic.

Is your hubby a forum member? If not, I'll add him to our list as "Lucie's Hubby"...
Old 05-11-2020, 05:27 PM   #543
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can add me to the class of 2020 please. Target is December 2020. Some possibility I might get booted earlier, or go voluntarily, due to employer chaos at the moment. Would rather keep to my plan, but we shall see.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #544
Dryer sheet wannabe

I am ready financially to retired in 2020. But I am not sure that i will have the courage to do it. Maybe in several month after the "second wave" outcome.
The book How Much Can I Spend in Retirement by Wade Pfau was very helpful
to pull it all together.

These 2 concepts has help me understand what asset allocations adjustment was needed to have confident in funding for retirement.
The funded ratio concept( your assets divided by your liabilities – can help guide you toward the retirement you want)
Reducing Volatility when it matters most (near retirement)

Other data were helpful.
example: for 35 years retirement w/ 10% failure optimal asset allocation: 56% stock/44% bond. These allocations should be in conjunction w/ one's funded ratio.
Thanks.
bfrank12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:35 AM   #545
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank12 View Post
I am ready financially to retired in 2020. But I am not sure that i will have the courage to do it. Maybe in several month after the "second wave" outcome.
The book How Much Can I Spend in Retirement by Wade Pfau was very helpful
to pull it all together.

These 2 concepts has help me understand what asset allocations adjustment was needed to have confident in funding for retirement.
The funded ratio concept( your assets divided by your liabilities – can help guide you toward the retirement you want)
Reducing Volatility when it matters most (near retirement)

Other data were helpful.
example: for 35 years retirement w/ 10% failure optimal asset allocation: 56% stock/44% bond. These allocations should be in conjunction w/ one's funded ratio.
Thanks.
These are interesting concepts. If you have access to Fidelity's retirement planner they calculate a ratio similar to your funded ratio concept. They calculate what percentage you have above or below hitting 100% of your target funding. They call it RPM, retirement preparedness measure.

The second concept of reducing volatility can also be called sequence of returns risk.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2020 addition
Old 05-13-2020, 10:09 AM   #546
Confused about dryer sheets

Class of 2020 addition

You can add me to the 2020 class! I should be retiring at age of 55.5 at the end of this year. I may be retiring from my home den rather than the office cubicle, but that still works for me!
Magoo30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #547
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo30 View Post
You can add me to the 2020 class! I should be retiring at age of 55.5 at the end of this year. I may be retiring from my home den rather than the office cubicle, but that still works for me!
Congratulations!
georgemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:47 AM   #548
Recycles dryer sheets

It's getting real now!
Three days off, four days on, four days off then three days on. My last working day is May 29th. Vacation (or more likely quarantine) the month of June and the first week of July. I check in with HR July 6th to drop of my badge and sign some papers. Sadly I will not get to do a traditional farewell tour due to the new pandemic restrictions. Maybe a Zoom party!

I got a taste of the next adventure. I was furloughed for 7 weeks and just returned to work. During my time off I worked a part time (unpaid) position of hired hand here at the NeverDone Ranch. I believe I impressed the supervisor enough that she may let me stay on indefinitely!
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 07:50 AM   #549
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post
It's getting real now!
Three days off, four days on, four days off then three days on. My last working day is May 29th. Vacation (or more likely quarantine) the month of June and the first week of July. I check in with HR July 6th to drop of my badge and sign some papers. Sadly I will not get to do a traditional farewell tour due to the new pandemic restrictions. Maybe a Zoom party!

I got a taste of the next adventure. I was furloughed for 7 weeks and just returned to work. During my time off I worked a part time (unpaid) position of hired hand here at the NeverDone Ranch. I believe I impressed the supervisor enough that she may let me stay on indefinitely!
When the future is way more exciting than the past, then you know you are making the right decision.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:33 AM   #550
Recycles dryer sheets

One week to go and I am out
Mountain skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 10:04 AM   #551
Dryer sheet wannabe

Today is the 30th anniversary of my start date at work. Seems like yesterday and a million years ago. Looking forward to getting out.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #552
Recycles dryer sheets

Well folks I retired today

Thank you to the many on this forum who helped educated me on financial matters and retirement advice.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:51 PM   #553
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain skier View Post

Thank you to the many on this forum who helped educated me on financial matters and retirement advice.
Let the good times roll!! Congrats!
Born2Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:54 PM   #554
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you. I wonder how long it takes to sink in lol?
Old 05-22-2020, 08:30 AM   #555
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations, Mountain skier! Your time is now your own - that's gotta feel nice!
Old 05-22-2020, 09:16 AM   #556
Recycles dryer sheets

I was informed I have many projects to do for the wife lol
Old 05-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #557
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have more clarity now about timing from mega-corp and my retirement date
is no longer just a placeholder. My last day at work will be 9/23 and I will be
officially unemployed 9/30 For the hassle of accommodating mega-
corp's staffing needs the last few months, I'm getting 15 months pay in
severance plus retiree medical. Not a bad deal, since my intended retirement
date without severance was within a month or two of the actual date.

Congrats to the class of 2020, only 4 more months before I officially join.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #558
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congratulations and welcome to the Retirement Club!
Old 05-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #559
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Filed grades Monday and spent about 3 minutes/day checking for last minute emails (University extended the grading period 10 days to allow student to opt for pass/fail grades.)
So I'm fully "retarded" as granddad used to say, although since I spread out paychecks on a 12 month schedule, I'll still get checks until October.

Congrats to all of 2020 who finished before me and good luck to the stragglers.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:39 AM   #560
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
So I'm fully "retarded" as granddad used to say, although since I spread out paychecks on a 12 month schedule, I'll still get checks until October.

Congrats to all of 2020 who finished before me and good luck to the stragglers.
Congrats to you, RobLJ!