Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-31-2020, 03:33 PM   #661
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTDasap2020 View Post
So wish me luck as i take the first step to being an unproductive burden on society.
Congratulations, and good luck! I'm looking forward to also being an unproductive burden...
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #662
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaPop View Post
I announced last Friday on my MegaCorp 30yr anniversary. Giving up a nice salary but my brain was rotting. Excited and naturally scared having to cover healthcare for 8 more years...
Congrats, Lima! Do you want to be included on The List? If so, what is your retirement date?
Old 07-31-2020, 04:03 PM   #663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggon View Post
Congratulations, and good luck! I'm looking forward to also being an unproductive burden...
I look at FIRE as quite the opposite. We're making jobs available for younger folks, and are spending our lifetime of accumulation, helping out the economy, buying goods and services, travel, real estate, etc. Our $ are either in the markets or are providing housing in the form of rentals. Just because we're no longer personally a 'productive member of society', doesn't mean we're a burden...

Personally, I'll be hiring a yard crew to maintain my yard, paying a lot of property taxes, etc. But my new PV system will have me paying almost no electricity bill. Once we've gotten COVID-19 under control, we can resume travel and help the restaurants, airlines, and tourist locales recover from the current devastation!
Old 07-31-2020, 04:08 PM   #664
Recycles dryer sheets

Well... we've still got a pandemic. We're still learning more every day and still don't seem to be a whole lot closer to knowing how this all ends. But, I'm hopeful our brilliant scientists will figure this out and the world will find some level of normalcy... someday... soon?

On a brighter note, Your LIST update is here! We have a few new retirees, a few altered plans, and a handful of additions to the 2020 Class, so please welcome them aboard the train!

PLEASE NOTE: I went back through the forum and added "Announcement" links to all who notified us of their successful retirement. If you find an error, please let me know as this is a bit of a tedious cut & paste task! Also, if you'd like your Announcement to point somewhere else, let me know - I can do that, too! LoL - I also just found out that there is a limit of 15 emoticons per post - so no more smilies from me!!

Congratulations to everyone that's "Made It" so far! Livin' the dream (although likely in isolation)!

Class of 2020 (Un)Official List... (I like lists! ):
Trivia Item: (The Birth of The List)
  • dingo - 1/2/2020 (Congrats! (snuck in front of Ergragg1)) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Erbragg1 - 1/3/2020 (Early bird... Teacher's pet... ) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Octogirl - 1/3/2020 {CHECK} (Completing part-time assignment 7/24/20) (Announcement) (Update)
  • INTJ10 - 1/9/2020 {CHECK} (W*rking an overpaid temp job) (Announcement)
  • Out_the_Door - 1/24/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • idledancer - 1/27/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • nobodyspecial - 1/31/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • AS2019 - 2/14/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Third Son - 2/29/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • target2019 - 2/28/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • JakeinChina - 3/1/2020 {CHECK} (41!) (Announcement)
  • HighFlight - 3/4/2020 {CHECK} (but not the easy way!) (Announcement)
  • nobody - 3/6/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • 51notout - 3/6/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Maenad - 3/13/2020 {Waiting for Update...}
  • Go-NoGo - 3/16/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • georgemoe - 3/20/2020 (after 43 years!) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • CoastboundPNW - 4/1/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Grimelowe - 4/3/2020 (45yo - Nice!) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • TN Jim - 4/10/2020 (Earlier than expected; nice!) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Born2Fish - 4/16/2020 (Hey, I'm here and retired!) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • jaharrer - 4/30/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • 1242Vintage - 4/30/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Lucie's Husband - 5/9/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • RobLJ - 5/19/2020 (Retiring the rest of the way! ) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Mountain skier - 5/21/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Ger0n1mo - 5/31/2020 (Hoping...) {Waiting for update...}
  • mattwallace24 - 5/2020 (Placeholder) {Waiting for update...}
  • kingkarmann - 6/5/2020 (Accelerated!) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Dalmore - 6/11/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • roadtripper - 6/30/2020 (Left 6/19 or 6/12?) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Lienlord - 7/1/2020 (fuzzy - due to pandemic!) {Waiting for update...}
  • DRC726 - 7/1/2020 (Placeholder - pandemic delay) {Waiting for update...}
  • COcheesehead - 7/10/2020 (Countdown is on!!) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • wmackey - 7/10/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • Markola - 7/10/2020 {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • OTDasap2020 - 7/31/2020 (A sap? ) {CHECK} (Announcement)
  • brainsagolfer - 8/1/2020 (PTO started 6/24)
  • fishnfool - 8/7/2020 (guesstimate from "35 working days" from 6/23)
  • lampshade - 8/28/2020 (Last working day is 7/31)
  • free2020 - 8/31/2020
  • FlyFisher - 9/1/2020
  • L Carlisle - 9/1/2020 (MOSTly retiring...)
  • albireo13 - 9/4/2020 (Sounds like the best of the dates you've proposed so far!)
  • spikeykiller - 9/10/2020 (Say "NO!" to OMY! )
  • GoBugGo - 9/25/2020
  • bada bing - 9/30/2020 (Landed a great package!)
  • firewhen - 9/30/2020 (Finally got the nudge they needed!)(Slight delay, but still 2020!)
  • KarlH - 9/30/2020 (Date taken from "hopefully before I turn 55 in October")
  • Unpaintedhuffhines - 10/1/2020 (RSU's FTW! )
  • Draggon - 11/1/2020 (1st date eligible)
  • Mr. Vacation4us - 11/2/2020
  • f35phixer - 11/12/2020 (Not committed - likes their J*B!?)
  • ugeauxgirl - 11/15/2020 (Class ringleader )(Corona delay!)
  • ohiodep and the DW - 12/1/2020 (Leaving work 9/17/2020 on vacay!)
  • tinlizzy - 12/1/2020 (deferred from 6/1 - i.e. Plan B!)
  • Mrs. Vacation4us - 12/15/2020 (Mr. V cut in front of her!)
  • FLSUnFIRE - 12/31/2020 (date taken from "the end of the year")
  • cnocmmz - 12/31/2020 (deferred due to pandemic )
  • Magoo30 - 12/31/2020
  • pdxgal - 6/30/2020 (COVID delay)
  • retire202052 - 12/2020 (I may have figured out the pattern of your UserID )
  • Marita40 - 12/2020
  • gamboolman - 12/31/2020 (g-man says 1/1/21, but I'm giving him 12/31 to keep him in our class!)
  • HNL Bill - 1/15(ish)/2021 (Former classmate, now a proud member of the Class of 2021!)
  • RxMan - ??/20?? (Class of 2020 Official Stalker)

Anyone else want to post their target? Also, lemme know if I miss one.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:13 PM   #665
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I look at FIRE as quite the opposite.
I completely agree with you, but that is a much less humorous way of describing one's retired self...
Old 07-31-2020, 04:20 PM   #666
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, it's getting more and more real... they hired my replacement; started this past Monday. He's excited about the job, so that makes it a little more fun to try to distill my years of infinite wisdom into little nuggets to be absorbed.

So, now I'm a lame duck until my last working day which will now likely be 10/30/2020. I was previously planning to take PTO starting 9/23, but there's really no good reason to do that in today's climate. Working from home has had a most noticeable reduction in my stress levels, plus getting paid for the PTO will be a nice little bonus since I'm forgoing this year's actual bonus by leaving... QUACK!
Old 08-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #667
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had to check the calendar to make sure, but I am entering my 4th week of retirement. Time has a way of getting muddled. I have to stop and think about what day of the week it is.
I am amazed at how quickly all the little w*rk related annoyances have faded away. I had something flash through my brain recently related to my old job and I had an “oh, yea, forget all about that” moment. It made me realize how quickly I have moved on from my recent past.
Days fly by. We have been hiking, biking, golfing, socializing (socially distanced of course), doing day trips, playing guitar... I am busier in retirement than I thought. I also picked up a two day a week gig working at a local winery helping out where I can. That’s been really fun.

So to all my classmates before me, thanks for the inspiration. For all of you behind me, you won’t regret a thing.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2020
Old 08-03-2020, 07:49 AM   #668

Class of 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I had to check the calendar to make sure, but I am entering my 4th week of retirement. Time has a way of getting muddled. I have to stop and think about what day of the week it is.
I am amazed at how quickly all the little w*rk related annoyances have faded away. I had something flash through my brain recently related to my old job and I had an “oh, yea, forget all about that” moment. It made me realize how quickly I have moved on from my recent past.
Days fly by. We have been hiking, biking, golfing, socializing (socially distanced of course), doing day trips, playing guitar... I am busier in retirement than I thought. I also picked up a two day a week gig working at a local winery helping out where I can. That’s been really fun.

So to all my classmates before me, thanks for the inspiration. For all of you behind me, you won’t regret a thing.

100% my experience since my last day on July 8, right down to playing more guitar. I could have almost written your post. Amazing, isn’t it? We pinch ourselves.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 AM   #669
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
100% my experience since my last day on July 8, right down to playing more guitar. I could have almost written your post. Amazing, isn’t it? We pinch ourselves.
Trust me, I do overlook how fortunate I am.
Old 08-03-2020, 08:21 AM   #670
Recycles dryer sheets

I've gotten so distracted with futzing around in retirement I forgot to post an update!

We did indeed retire on March 13th. My last real day was the 12th, and I just called in to my exit interview on the morning of the 13th. After I'd handed in my laptop and was making my last rounds, I heard that the word had just come down to start working from home Monday the 16th, so I left just before the fit hit the shan.

We've been doing a whole lot of nothing, decompressing from work stress. My parents' health is in pretty rapid decline, so I've taken up a lot of driving for groceries, errands, and doc appointments. I'm really glad I'm able to help, my brother is local (as are my folks), and he's done a lot to help them, but he's having a really hard time dealing with this, so I'm glad to pick up a larger share right now.

Our spending has been a little less than before we retired, but a lot of that is because we're being careful about it, both because of the shock of turning off the firehose of income, and the current economic uncertainty. We did just switch our phones from Verizon to Google Fi, which should be about $50 a month less. Today we're looking into internet and if we can reduce that some.

I'm sleeping much better these days, and don't need as much. It's wonderful to wake up rested. However, neither one of us has as much energy as we'd like. We're not sure if we're still recovering from work, or if we've let ourselves get lazy. Since it hasn't been 5 months yet, I'm not worried, just kind of observing.
Maenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #671
Recycles dryer sheets

After a couple of months into retirement I regret to inform you all that I still know what day it is! Wondering when I'll start forgetting?
I truly have not been more relaxed in my whole adult life!
To DRAGGON, thanks for the work you do. I can tell it's a labor of love. We need more of that
To all of you that have FIRED in the "Year of Covid" stay well and, CONGRATS!!!
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2020
Old 08-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #672

Class of 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maenad View Post

I'm sleeping much better these days, and don't need as much. It's wonderful to wake up rested. However, neither one of us has as much energy as we'd like. We're not sure if we're still recovering from work, or if we've let ourselves get lazy. Since it hasn't been 5 months yet, I'm not worried, just kind of observing.

Interesting observation. I’ve been pondering all the little ways the expectations of other people motivated me to do stuff, which required energy. Bosses, coworkers, meetings, deadlines. All that stuff is GONE but it’s too recently departed to have rebuilt a new internal motivational system to require me to put one foot in front of the other and get the energy flowing. I’ll have to sit on the couch and give that a good think.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:17 PM   #673
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Trust me, I do overlook how fortunate I am.
I mean do NOT overlook....
After 50 years of going back to school not this year!
Old 08-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #674
Dryer sheet wannabe

After 50 years of going back to school not this year!

I retired yesterday! I am not going back to teach under these conditions. I have been saving for 30 years so it is all good! Good luck to all the poor teachers who can not afford to retire. It is not the virus that is the issue it is the unknown and being asked to do 10 jobs at one time.
makingaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by makingaplan View Post
I retired yesterday! I am not going back to teach under these conditions. I have been saving for 30 years so it is all good! Good luck to all the poor teachers who can not afford to retire. It is not the virus that is the issue it is the unknown and being asked to do 10 jobs at one time.
Congrats!
Old 08-06-2020, 06:16 AM   #676
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I retired yesterday!
Congratulations. Saving for 30 years has its rewards. I wish it could have been under better circumstances.
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #677

Quote:

Congrats! You REALLY earned it!
Old 08-06-2020, 09:01 AM   #678
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congratulations! I am very jealous. I'm going back to the classroom for my last year and I'm a nervous wreck.

Enjoy your retirement!!
caramel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:29 PM   #679
Recycles dryer sheets

Retired 7/10 from mega corp, but will be back in classroom at the end of month teaching one night a week. Went in today for training on how class will be run. Lots of separation between me and each of the students.
wmackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #680
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC726 View Post
I will also be joining the class of 2020 on March 31, 2020. A little earlier than planned but my work situation is not great and it makes sense financially (not to mention for stress reduction) to pull the plug at that time. Looking forward to the next chapter!!
Update: With the pandemic, I actually did not retire until 7 31/2020. So far it feels like a long weekend! Guess it will take a while to sink in. That's ok, I've got plenty of time!!
DRC726 is offline   Reply With Quote