Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-13-2020, 08:28 AM   #701
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 116
Update on my personal early retirement journey - my replacement has been stretched too thin between his old position and the new one, so the learning's been a little slow. However, he's committed to a renewed emphasis on "taking the reins" once he returns from PTO tomorrow. We'll see.... has no impact on my plans!

Progress has been made!
  • Post-retirement medical insurance application completed and submitted
  • Early retirement application completed, to be notarized at the pool today, and submitted tomorrow
  • I became a "heart patient" this year (no event, just test results), so I just ordered 90 days worth of statins (while I still have the old insurance)
  • Got my wellness check in Friday for my small HSA kickback. (Actually was a followup for said heart condition, but doc generously offered to code it as a wellness check)
  • Got my final, covered annual eye exam scheduled in time

Really, REALLY starting to feel real now... 11/1 is 48 calendar days away! Wow, that was literally my first realization that I'm under 50 days! w00t!!
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2020, 08:36 AM   #702
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap470 View Post
Draggon - please add me to the list as "Retired 6/26/2020. I left quietly with little fanfare in this Covid environment. Past 2 months have been wonderful...even if I can't go anywhere other than grocery shopping and Home Depot/Lowes.
You got it, nap470! And a big CONGRATULATIONS on your sneaky retirement! I expect mine will go much the same way. We're still in "work-from-home", no-physical-meetings mode, so I expect I'll just fade away. And that's alright with me; even after 32 years!

I saw your response in time to still be able to edit my last update, so you're officially on The List!
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:24 AM   #703
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 294
Had to change my date to 1April 2021
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #704
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East of Cleveland
Posts: 8
My last working day was the 17th. My crew gave me a nice pizza and ice cream send off. Not missing the job but I do miss the daily interaction with the guys that I worked with for decades. I am sleeping better and getting more exercise.

Also, it is nice to be able to watch sports in the evening instead of being in bed due to having to get up at 0400.
ohiodep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #705
Recycles dryer sheets
KarlH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 102
Congratulations
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #706
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 138
So, so frustrated... still hanging on to 2020 for now (and wondering if I'll just walk out tomorrow). I have a "working interview" in another week at another local brewery to see how I like it and if I'm a good fit... something I really want to do for fun and would act as a bridge job to help me make the leap in these uncertain times -though I'm mostly doing it for fun with the pay as a gravy. At current valuations, I am looking at a WDR of about 3.3% and if I take the fun "job" would be about 2.7% (which makes me feel better given what I perceive as high valuations and COVID and election uncertainty).



Small possibility I could slip to 2021 if I make it do December as I will find out then about any bonus payment that would come near the end of January and that I would lose if I quit before payout. It would likely only be a few hundred dollars (hardly enough to make a material difference to me but I hate leaving money on the table). Cutting it close for class of 2020 and really burned out. Stay tuned!
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:01 PM   #707
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ugeauxgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rural Alabama
Posts: 1,088
I'd love to tell you what's going on with my job, but I don't know. Company okayed us seeing clients in person again, and I worked meeting with clients and their new advisors for about a week and a half and then Hurricane Sally showed up and closed the office again for another month. (Lots of damage)

Clients don't really want to come in anyway. So I have been working very little. Which is FUN! But where the end is, I do not know.... And there is ANOTHER hurricane headed this way. Ridiculous. I'm so over 2020.
__________________
Projected retirement--2020 at age 48
ugeauxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #708
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Way up North
Posts: 307
Done

Last day at work was Monday a week ago, 9/28. Actually was held over 5 days at work and should have been done 9/23. Last day the crew I worked with had a barbecue at the worksite, which was unexpected and nice. I was officially an employee until 9/30.

Severance check hit my account on the 1st. I signed up for retiree medical, the same HDHP I had as an active employee. I would normally return to work on 10/7, so I haven't missed a show up day yet. That is when it'll be real.

On to the next phase
__________________
Retired 9/30/20 at age 61 from Evil Mega Big Oil Corp (EMBO corp)
Living on Social Security (Age 70) +
Modest private pension (Age 71) +
Modest nest egg, 60/40 indexed (now) +
My good looks and sparkling conversation
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #709
Dryer sheet aficionado
51notout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing View Post
Done



Last day at work was Monday a week ago, 9/28. Actually was held over 5 days at work and should have been done 9/23. Last day the crew I worked with had a barbecue at the worksite, which was unexpected and nice. I was officially an employee until 9/30.



Severance check hit my account on the 1st. I signed up for retiree medical, the same HDHP I had as an active employee. I would normally return to work on 10/7, so I haven't missed a show up day yet. That is when it'll be real.



On to the next phase


Congratulations!!!!
51notout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:58 AM   #710
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 116
Congratulations to ohiodep and bada bing! I'm not sure how I missed those notifications, but "better late than never"?

Enjoy your new (non)employment status!

I've got four more working days!! Well, that plus an hour or so to grab some personal stuff from the office I haven't seen in months, drop off my company laptop, company ID, and go through what I expect to be a fairly short exit interview on Friday...
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:27 PM   #711
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
May 1 2020 is the plan. Will be 62 +3. DW will 67+5. Ready to go now. Just greed and fear holding me back. Every month adds about $50/mo increase in income. Too hard to pass up so far.
Haha, just saw this from mid 2017! This thread started in 2013! I left May 31, 2019. ERP kept me paid with double dipping (pay + pension) through July 2020, so bottom line of both portfolio and pension was higher than had I worked through May 2020 as originally planned. Timing is everything.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #712
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Haha, just saw this from mid 2017! This thread started in 2013! I left May 31, 2019. ERP kept me paid with double dipping (pay + pension) through July 2020, so bottom line of both portfolio and pension was higher than had I worked through May 2020 as originally planned. Timing is everything.
Nice! It's fun to go back and find those old posts to see what your former self's plans were and how they worked out. In this case, I'd say you outperformed! Congrats on your earlier-than-planned retirement. Hope you're enjoying!
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Switched to 2020
Old 10-25-2020, 07:12 AM   #713
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 14
Switched to 2020

Well I was in the 2021 group with a date a few months away. This month my company had other plans so my retirement moved to this month. Biggest issue we have is healthcare, the cost and the Plans. The ACA Plans are all HMO's and we're having a hard time getting our heads around doing an HMO with all the restrictions. Leaning towards just doing Cobra for a year and seeing what 2022 may bring.
GATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:42 AM   #714
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Living the Dream!
Posts: 169
Love reading all the experience of my fellow class of 2020 retirees as we start this next stage of our lives.

I retired back on May 1 and it has been a truly awesome six months. All the stress and anxiety I had about retirement leading up to May 1 has vaporized.

Since we cannot travel anywhere this year, wife had her other knee replaced and is recovering nicely. We have also spent lots of quality time with parents and siblings. And Iíve been focusing on regaining the fitness I had when I was younger and returning to a healthy weight. Also spending far less in retirement than we projected.

Things we look forward to in 2021 are a trip down to Mexico in January with brother and SIL, daughters graduation from Johns Hopkins nursing school in May, a meandering road trip with family through Alaska in June and a trip to British Columbia in August to compete in a multi-stage bicycle race through the Rockies.

Retirement life is good!
1242Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2020 Member
Old 10-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #715
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ypsilanti
Posts: 142
Class of 2020 Member

Wow! I guess I am really tardy with this post.

I retired effective July 1st, 2020.
Staying busy volunteering as a Docent at Greenfield Village Museum outside of Detroit, restoring/building my 1964 Formula Car (see pre-work photo of car parked next to my convertible below), and spent a couple weeks watching our infant Grandson while his parents worked.

Where I Volunteer:
https://www.thehenryford.org/collect...d=exhibit-view

My Toys:
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:11 AM   #716
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 138
As much as I hate to, I'm going to officially bump myself to the Class of 2021. Originally hoped for this summer but the COVID mess reduced the incentive (less fun to be had not working and less confidence in the economy/market). The numbers still work but given how late I am in the year, I want to see what will happen after next Tuesday (regardless of the results, I think some of the uncertainly will fade) and in December I will find out if there is any bonus (puny) I will get paid out in January. I'll likely wait until the payout and will also, hopefully, have unused leave paid out at a slightly higher rate in addition to the income I will save during the extra time as a wage slave. I'm taking half of December off and that will give me some mental space to be comfortable with my decision and reduce the pain of continuing to w*rk. Unless the market/economy completely tank, I am tentatively planning to give notice after any bonus pay out in late January with an ending date somewhere between February and the end of March (April Fools would be a fun day to end on!). Still hoping for a PT offer but doubt that will happen... I'll consider myself FIREd if it does and will stick around for as long as the work/life balance works for me but think within a year or two I will be enjoying the "off" time way too much!


Congrats to all of you who got out in 2020... Hopefully will be right behind you.


FLSunFIRE
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #717
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
As much as I hate to, I'm going to officially bump myself to the Class of 2021. Originally hoped for this summer but the COVID mess reduced the incentive (less fun to be had not working and less confidence in the economy/market). The numbers still work but given how late I am in the year, I want to see what will happen after next Tuesday (regardless of the results, I think some of the uncertainly will fade) and in December I will find out if there is any bonus (puny) I will get paid out in January. I'll likely wait until the payout and will also, hopefully, have unused leave paid out at a slightly higher rate in addition to the income I will save during the extra time as a wage slave. I'm taking half of December off and that will give me some mental space to be comfortable with my decision and reduce the pain of continuing to w*rk. Unless the market/economy completely tank, I am tentatively planning to give notice after any bonus pay out in late January with an ending date somewhere between February and the end of March (April Fools would be a fun day to end on!). Still hoping for a PT offer but doubt that will happen... I'll consider myself FIREd if it does and will stick around for as long as the work/life balance works for me but think within a year or two I will be enjoying the "off" time way too much!


Congrats to all of you who got out in 2020... Hopefully will be right behind you.


FLSunFIRE
Dito! I am with you. I too was supposed to walk away this year; however, with COVID this an opportunity to still try and max out cash and investments while the travel ban is still in place and just pad the accounts. FLSunFIRE, our time will come soon enough. All the best to those that have walked away this year
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:26 AM   #718
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggon View Post
Congratulations to ohiodep and bada bing! I'm not sure how I missed those notifications, but "better late than never"?

Enjoy your new (non)employment status!

I've got four more working days!! Well, that plus an hour or so to grab some personal stuff from the office I haven't seen in months, drop off my company laptop, company ID, and go through what I expect to be a fairly short exit interview on Friday...
Congratulations.....Enjoy life on your time :-)
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:18 AM   #719
Recycles dryer sheets
Vacation4us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 346
DH is on track for Nov 2. He has been cleaning his office for a week. Had to retrieve the lifesize Batman fathead Off the wall.

Retirement party may be a bust. All offices going on tactical alert with days off cancelled. And the 1 person we did not was to see is coming. I emphasized with the unwanted visitors for a few years but coming to every event to get sloshed and make a scene in mot our idea of fun. It’s sad but her tragedy does not define my D H 32 ye career.

We all agreed she would not be invited the event is not a bout her husband's passing , but the captains wife went beside our back and invited her anyway,

Between Covid, the election ,and too many hands in the pie the party isn’t looking as w
Fun as we hoped
Vacation4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 05:29 AM   #720
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Marita40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 1,454
My last day is Dec. 11! Just finished cleaning out my office (we've been working at home) and this week said "no" to an assignment that I really didn't want to do and realized I could say no. Strange and very good feeling.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:56 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.