Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2020, 10:26 AM   #741
Recycles dryer sheets

I began my golden phase this week last year. Water is fine, just a bit shaken up by Covid quarantine but I never regretted the decision. Congratulations to all!
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 10:41 AM   #742
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With all of you retiring in 2020 there won't be enough workers to take all those jobs! Lol

Congratulations to all of you and best wishes to a happy retirement.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 06:25 PM   #743
Dryer sheet wannabe

First official day of retirement has been spent in the cold and dark. Winter storm Jenny knocked our power out at 0430 hrs and First Energy says maybe by 2300 hrs on Wednesday they possibly might have almost everyone re connected. Had to blow the driveway out 3 times today to add to the fun.

Retirement off to a great start.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #744
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodep View Post
First official day of retirement has been spent in the cold and dark. Winter storm Jenny knocked our power out at 0430 hrs and First Energy says maybe by 2300 hrs on Wednesday they possibly might have almost everyone re connected. Had to blow the driveway out 3 times today to add to the fun.

Retirement off to a great start.
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear this. Look at it this way - there's no where to go but up from here, right? Things can only get better! Here's hoping they restore your power even sooner than their estimate.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:30 PM   #745
Recycles dryer sheets

First, thanks to Draggon for providing updates to the class of 2020 list! It's quite an effort going through 40 some pages of post!!

Here's my update. I'm not a class of 2020 any more.

The pandemic has made this decision for me. My plan is now to transition into retirement instead of "switching off" work. I'll be working 4 days weeks starting January, and then 3-days and 2...Hopefully sometime during 2022, I'm done. Perhaps a bit sooner but that'll depend on a couple of things, financial and family consideration.
free2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:26 PM   #746
Recycles dryer sheets

So I join the Class of 2020 on Dec 31. Originally was planning on June 15 but held off due to COVID uncertainty.
Should have stuck with the original plan as the past 5.5 months have drug on. Luckily, was working a 4 day a week schedule. Good luck to all those in this distinguished class!
TNBigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #747
Recycles dryer sheets

I’ve read all the recent posts and just want to say, “Welcome to Retirement”!!

I retired in April and life is very good. Enjoy!
Born2Fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 06:07 AM   #748
Recycles dryer sheets

I achieved financial independence in 20 years time at the age of 53. At that point, I went part-time for two years to phase into retirement since it was so overwhelming being I was barely 56 years old. Then I finally retired this year on September 1st. After I pushed myself as far as I could go and after having a very prosperous year, I knew it was time. I knew whatever time I had left to live was more valuable than any fear I had of the unknown. I thought it would take me longer by at least three more years but it couldn't have come at a more needed time and I am grateful. It's so nice to take the dogs out on a freezing cold morning and come back inside to a warm house instead having to start the car and go to work!
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #749

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
I achieved financial independence in 20 years time at the age of 53. At that point, I went part-time for two years to phase into retirement since it was so overwhelming being I was barely 56 years old. Then I finally retired this year on September 1st. After I pushed myself as far as I could go and after having a very prosperous year, I knew it was time. I knew whatever time I had left to live was more valuable than any fear I had of the unknown. I thought it would take me longer by at least three more years but it couldn't have come at a more needed time and I am grateful. It's so nice to take the dogs out on a freezing cold morning and come back inside to a warm house instead having to start the car and go to work!
Congrats to you!
Old 12-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #750
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to all the recent retirees and everyone in the Class of 2020! It motivates me to see all of you go through with your plans even in such an unusual year. I hope you all have the retirement you’ve dreamed of having and thanks for helping to motivate those of us still working!
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #751

MADE IT!!!! My last day was today. 34 years at the same place of employment: how often does that happen these days? Lots of ups and downs but overall a very good run. I feel blessed to have had a great career, and exceptionally blessed to be retiring from it while still young(ish) and healthy. Life is good.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #752
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats. what's your age?
I retired in Sept at 64 after 35 yrs at megacorp.
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #753
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
MADE IT!!!! My last day was today. 34 years at the same place of employment: how often does that happen these days? Lots of ups and downs but overall a very good run. I feel blessed to have had a great career, and exceptionally blessed to be retiring from it while still young(ish) and healthy. Life is good.
Congratulations! Welcome to the 2020 club! I went for 43 years. A little stroll.
georgemoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 07:42 PM   #754
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations to all in the Class of 2020. I am in this Class.
I retired this summer but was asked to work/cover over holidays due to COVID healthcare staffing shortages.
It s just for 8 weeks so I don't mind.
I know I'll be back to my retirement life soon, you know, spending an hour with coffee in the morning.....Reading......
DH and I are restoring a 2006 Airstream and look forward to traveling in 2021 !
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:17 PM   #755
Recycles dryer sheets

Was in class of 2018 but made the error of going back at the end of 2019 after nearly 2 years retired. Should never have done it.

Finally got out for good 5th June. Done. Age 48 - 2020!!

Also answered the burning question, does working for a friend make a difference to the working environment? Answer was no which was learnt after 2 weeks back working..oh well.

Happier and more thankful than ever. No questions unanswered and Covid re-iterated the importance of being retired and not taking it all for granted, life is short..

Congratulations to the class of 2020!!
DD4L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #756
Recycles dryer sheets

Alas, I am taking just a bit longer to graduate than I had anticipated. Company stock along with RSUs (and some other stuff) pushed me to target October 1, 2021 as my new end date, which as far as I'm concerned, is as firm as anything right now. Income and RSUs through October will give me enough to generate about another $1,500/month in retirement. If the BS meter stays in the red too long, I'll depart before October 1.

So, congrats to the class of 2020 - you have earned it. I won't be joining you just yet, but in 275 days I will be pulling the ripcord (maybe sooner).
Unpaintedhuffhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:37 AM   #757
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to the Class of 2020 and to those that thought they’d be in the class but had to change their plans- that take courage to change your plans. It’s been quite a year and it was encouraging for me to see all of you executing your plans to transition towards that next phase of your lives.

Thank you all for your updates. It was motivation for me to keep going knowing that one day I’ll hopefully be lucky enough to join you. I hope retirement is everything you’ve dreamed it would be and I hope you will update the rest of us going forward on how you’ve enjoyed your time after retiring.

Congrats everyone in the Class of 2020 and Happy New Year everyone!
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:52 AM   #758

Congratulations, graduating (and graduated) seniors!

If your plans were delayed, we will gladly take you in the next class: https://www.early-retirement.org/for...1-a-71945.html
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:45 PM   #759
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats to all of my former classmates that graduated. Still hoping/planning for this summer. Just adjusted my tax withholding and TSP contributions in anticipation (enough to get matching only and stockpile a bit more cash prior to pulling the plug). Hopefully the world regains some sanity next year so I can feel more confident... can't keep doing OMY.

Congrats and Happy New Year!
FLSunFIRE
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Class of 2020
Old 12-31-2020, 04:39 PM   #760
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2020

Officially joined the class of 2020 today with my severance ending, though I haven’t worked since March. Retiring into a pandemic wasn’t in my plans. Huge thanks to this ER forum and the Bogleheads forums for getting us here in good financial shape. Hoping 2021 is a very healthy and calm year, looking forward to getting back out in the world.
Clover5 is offline   Reply With Quote