Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2020, 06:59 PM   #761
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats to all who pulled the plug!!
albireo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2020, 07:53 PM   #762
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I officially joined the class of 2020 today. My vacation and holiday pay carried me through today, and the first pension check hits the bank account tomorrow. I checked; it is already "pending."

So commencing tomorrow, I will officially be paid for being a useless bum. I finally reached the goal I've been working toward for so long!

Congrats to all the members of the class of 2020, and a Happy New Year to everyone!
Old 12-31-2020, 07:56 PM   #763

Congrats to you too. And happy new year y'all!
Old 12-31-2020, 10:34 PM   #764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clover5 View Post
Officially joined the class of 2020 today with my severance ending, though I havenít worked since March. Retiring into a pandemic wasnít in my plans. Huge thanks to this ER forum and the Bogleheads forums for getting us here in good financial shape. Hoping 2021 is a very healthy and calm year, looking forward to getting back out in the world.
Talk about under the wire!
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:06 PM   #765
Dryer sheet aficionado

12/31/20 was my last day of w@rk. Since I stated with the company in 1982 I listened to music from 1982 on the commute in! It was a little surreal knowing that this would be my last drive in. I've been working from home since March but I had to go in the last few days to clean out my office and hand off things to others. I don't think it's really hit me that I'm actually done. My DW finished a week earlier and she's been absolutely giddy. We feel like a couple of kids on Christmas morning! I swear she's is smiling more now that she has in years. So much to look forward to.
NewEnglander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #766

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglander View Post
12/31/20 was my last day of w@rk. Since I stated with the company in 1982 I listened to music from 1982 on the commute in! It was a little surreal knowing that this would be my last drive in. I've been working from home since March but I had to go in the last few days to clean out my office and hand off things to others. I don't think it's really hit me that I'm actually done. My DW finished a week earlier and she's been absolutely giddy. We feel like a couple of kids on Christmas morning! I swear she's is smiling more now that she has in years. So much to look forward to.
Congratulations!
Old 02-04-2021, 04:42 PM   #767

It would be nice to update and put a cap on the 2020 list. Is Draggon still around or too busy enjoying retirement?
Congratulations to all 2020 retirees who have now completed at least a month of retirement if not more! Feels good, huh? As I told a friend lately, I was born for this!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Back to Work
Old 02-04-2021, 06:14 PM   #768
Dryer sheet wannabe

Back to Work

OK so I did retire in October, got bored after a few months, picked up a consulting gig and now headed back to a full time position. The difference now is that I'm working to have fun instead of needing the money to live on. I'll reassess in a year or two and then pull the retirement plug again.
GATime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 10:53 AM   #769

I'm considering myself retired. I am going in for a few hours Monday as my replacement had surgery. I have zero responsibility, and I have no idea what is going on at the office. Every time someone asks me how retirement is, I tell them "It's AWESOME!"
Old 06-04-2021, 09:42 PM   #770
Recycles dryer sheets

Today was my last day! Had planned to quit a year ago in 2020, but then Covid hit. Suppose now I'm Class of 2021. Hasn't sunk in yet. WFH turned out to be sort of a natural glide path to quitting. So glad I didn't have the obligatory work gathering with co-workers at the office. Instead I spoke with my favorite colleagues 1:1 over the last two weeks, and received lots of heartfelt congratulatory emails. It left me with the nice feeling that my work and my person were valued and appreciated. Now on to the overdue house and garden projects!
pdxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:40 AM   #771
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations. At 9 months in I have no regrets, and feel healthier than I have in years. No two-plus hour commute or j*b has given me time to get some exercise everyday and I'm down around 35 pounds since retiring. I have a nice garden and a pandemic puppy keeping me busy and have finally been seeing my teenagers grow up.
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:43 AM   #772

Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgal View Post
Today was my last day! Had planned to quit a year ago in 2020, but then Covid hit. Suppose now I'm Class of 2021. Hasn't sunk in yet. WFH turned out to be sort of a natural glide path to quitting. So glad I didn't have the obligatory work gathering with co-workers at the office. Instead I spoke with my favorite colleagues 1:1 over the last two weeks, and received lots of heartfelt congratulatory emails. It left me with the nice feeling that my work and my person were valued and appreciated. Now on to the overdue house and garden projects!
Old 06-06-2021, 10:29 AM   #773
Recycles dryer sheets

Congratulations, pdxgal!! You'll absolutely love it!

I just passed my 7 month mark, and it has FLOWN by. I've been so happily busy in retirement that time itself has lost some meaning - in a good way...

Enjoy!
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:31 AM   #774
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
given me time to get some exercise everyday and I'm down around 35 pounds since retiring
That's awesome, Karl! I'm all for doing everything I can to keep those actuaries guessing!
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote