Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have new management at the top and the rumors about the changes coming are alarming. I'm nodding and keeping my head down. Only 9 months to go.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2019, 03:12 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I wonder quite a lot about how the departure will happen. I doubt it will be with two weeks notice ...
Well, now I'm not so sure. The builder is now very confident about an autumn closing, and so given that I plan to stop working at least a month (if not two) before that, it seems much more likely now that I'll give notice (perhaps as soon as mid-July). This very firmly takes me out of the Class of 2020.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #143
Recycles dryer sheets

Last couple of days turned out better then expected. Buyer came back only wanting 2k after inspection. I was expecting worse. So inline to be out of house June 28.

A new one came up in Colorado Springs that meet DGF and I's requirements, which is not easy in my price range. I wanted a ranch with big garage, she wanted 20 min drive to work. She looked at it that day and she wrote a check for the earnest money so we can be locked on to it. A relief to have that done. Should be able to get into the house mid July. Now just to finish my work year here in KC and get moved...
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:06 AM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Well, now I'm not so sure. The builder is now very confident about an autumn closing, and so given that I plan to stop working at least a month (if not two) before that, it seems much more likely now that I'll give notice (perhaps as soon as mid-July). This very firmly takes me out of the Class of 2020.
An EARLY graduate- congratulations!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobody View Post
Last couple of days turned out better then expected. Buyer came back only wanting 2k after inspection. I was expecting worse. So inline to be out of house June 28.

A new one came up in Colorado Springs that meet DGF and I's requirements, which is not easy in my price range. I wanted a ranch with big garage, she wanted 20 min drive to work. She looked at it that day and she wrote a check for the earnest money so we can be locked on to it. A relief to have that done. Should be able to get into the house mid July. Now just to finish my work year here in KC and get moved...
Where are you living till January 3?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:31 AM   #146
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
Where are you living till January 3?

I've been scouting out bridges to find one that looks safe and quite. LOL

I have AirBnB setup for thru Sept. Its about $1000/month. I have 8 weeks of vacation to use so not sure how I am going to use it yet. Will be spending my vacation time in new house. Working thru Dec will get me the end of year bonus around 60k. Last day in Jan gets me 2020 stock and dividends, it's a really really good ESOP. I'm also going to talk to my bosses to see if they need somebody to travel towards end of year.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:44 PM   #147
Recycles dryer sheets

We have decided 2020 is the year to move on from the working world. I think $3.5 Mil is enough since I will be 62 and can start SS if I want (Spouse is 61). I am scheduled to start part-time January 2020, which will allow me to keep health benefits, but I am not sure how long I will want to keep working. I actually like my job but there are other things that I want to do. It is harder than I thought it would be to let work go.
INTJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 04:56 AM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally broke under 500 calendar days... 498 to go. Constant state of near miserableness starting about 5pm every Sunday until 5pm Thursday (I don't work Fridays), but plugging away. Running mental calculations almost daily as to whether this will all really be worth it. So far, my conservative nature has kept me going, but the wild side is getting extremely impatient.
Draggon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 05:31 AM   #149
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggon View Post
Finally broke under 500 calendar days... 498 to go. Constant state of near miserableness starting about 5pm every Sunday until 5pm Thursday (I don't work Fridays), but plugging away. Running mental calculations almost daily as to whether this will all really be worth it. So far, my conservative nature has kept me going, but the wild side is getting extremely impatient.
I am right along side you. We already bought our retirement home and I spend most weekends there in “Shangri-La” and then weekdays back in the city. I have a foot in both worlds. It’s hard - a marathon. Some days are better than others. When at work I focus on the income. When at home I focus on the future.

I used to ride long distance bike events, 100-200 miles. I never thought of the last mile, always just about getting to the next aid station. I am trying to use that same mental attitude now. Step by step, day by day.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

I must have logged on to post on another thread but was interrupted. Just received an email from ER forums. I totally forgot I had posted but have NOT forgot I only have 339 days to go!
Still in the automotive mfg. business at 61. Fortunately I'm in production, as far away from supervision and management as you can get.
But the company is experiencing the "Perfect Storm" Many have hit 25-30 years of service and are just hitting the allowable retirement of 55. I have never seen so many leave so fast. Unemployment is pretty low in this area making it difficult to train and replace these folks. The qualifications bar unfortunately has been lowered for replacements.
I was able to transfer to a much smaller department where I can lie low and wait out the clock.
DW has decided (smartly) that major home renovations will be completed before I leave the company next June. The basement has been waterproofed, new windows & roof. A contract for a bathroom redo has been signed and should be completed by fall.
We are making the home more livable for us and hope to age in place if at all possible. We really can't live anywhere cheaper.
Is 62 really considered early retirement?
kingkarmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:56 AM   #151
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I am right along side you. We already bought our retirement home and I spend most weekends there in “Shangri-La” and then weekdays back in the city. I have a foot in both worlds. It’s hard - a marathon. Some days are better than others. When at work I focus on the income. When at home I focus on the future.

I used to ride long distance bike events, 100-200 miles. I never thought of the last mile, always just about getting to the next aid station. I am trying to use that same mental attitude now. Step by step, day by day.
It's good to have company - misery loves it, I hear...

I've done 50 and 75 mile mountain bike rides in the past, and you're right. I focused on the next "sag stop" in order to get through it. I'm just not seeing many sag stops in the next 497.5 days... I guess those must be my weekends since I cherish them so much!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 AM   #152
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkarmann View Post
as far away from supervision and management as you can get.
I've come to believe that's the only likely path to w*rk happiness (or at least non-miserableness) in today's cutthroat world.

Quote:
Is 62 really considered early retirement?
Heck of a lot better than some of the articles I've read recently about people having to work to and past 70 to sustain themselves.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #153
Recycles dryer sheets

My OMY to the class of 2021 may not hold up. I'm so done with everything related to my job except the paycheck.

Coz
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:03 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post
My OMY to the class of 2021 may not hold up. I'm so done with everything related to my job except the paycheck.

Coz
Me too. I had to go to a summer meeting for my company and it was like torture. It cemented my determination to get out.
Old 06-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #155
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZICAN View Post

Coz
Me too. I have about 9 months to go. For me it's a combination of an increasingly unhealthy work culture, not finding the same interest in the work itself and the big one - just wanting to live life and get off the darn hamster wheel.
CoastboundPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:26 PM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
My former company is considering an IPO next month, which will affect the ESOP valuation. Staying another 9 months is a hedge against falling ESOP valuation, which is about 20% of my portfolio. It won't cover all potential losses, but could help.
Well, the IPO went through, and wouldn't you know it, the share price went up, and now my ESOP shares represent 27% of the portfolio instead of 20% (an even greater risk in terms of lack of diversification).

Still, here w$rking, as I don't know how transitory this spike will be, and planning on an upgraded house in a decade. Argh.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #157
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems lately that I'm only focusing on the annoying things that happen as I approach my retirement date, so I thought I'd post a positive development. My retirement date is 11/1/2020 - likely 11/2/2020 since 11/1 is a Sunday, but I'm not certain how that works. I currently have one one-week vacation scheduled next April. I told DW not to schedule any more vacations next year before I retire (we already have a couple trips scheduled afterward). This allows me to utilize PTO (Paid Time Off) to get out of here sooner. Currently projected at my wedding anniversary date of 9/24/2020 if I'm calculating correctly. That takes me from 489 CDTR (Calendar Days 'Til Retirement) to 451 give or take.

I'll still track it based on the actual retirement date, but it was a fun exercise!
Old 07-22-2019, 04:18 PM   #158

Serious setback- the person I hired to succeed me did not pass her licensing exams. I don't think she's going to get another chance as this is not the first time she failed them. I feel terrible about this as she quit a very lucrative job for this opportunity. (I told DH I feel like I ruined her life but he says this is illogical, taking a new job always has risks. I know this is true but I still feel horribly guilty about this anyway.)

Also, now I am back to square one. I have to find somebody else. Unless I find someone pretty quickly, my target date is going to be pushed back. AARGH.
Old 07-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #159
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Serious setback- the person I hired to succeed me did not pass her licensing exams. I don't think she's going to get another chance as this is not the first time she failed them. I feel terrible about this as she quit a very lucrative job for this opportunity. (I told DH I feel like I ruined her life but he says this is illogical, taking a new job always has risks. I know this is true but I still feel horribly guilty about this anyway.)

Also, now I am back to square one. I have to find somebody else. Unless I find someone pretty quickly, my target date is going to be pushed back. AARGH.
You didn’t take the tests, they did. I wish you the best finding another person. I’ll be waiting for you next year.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #160
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Was going to post about my setbacks but after reading your post, its less significant. Sounds like she should of studied a lot more... Wising you some better luck.