Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-19-2020, 03:55 PM   #461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Interesting turn of events. The folks buying me out decided that with the recent slowdown that I was high priced overhead. So I am in essence “furloughed” until the end of April. They want me back May - July 10th my original end date. I’ll use those last couple months to finish off a few projects. Everyone wins I guess. They save six weeks of my salary, I get to work on the new house, bike, hike, etc. I look at it as a dry run for retirement.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2020, 09:08 AM   #462
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats! That sounds good for everyone.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #463
Recycles dryer sheets

Just over two weeks into retirement and a really nice benefit I’m seeing is that I’m sleeping through the night [emoji42]Haven’t done that for 20 years....
51notout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #464
Recycles dryer sheets

Anybody here postponing or reconsidering 'graduation' in light of current financial events?
pdxgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #465
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxgal View Post
Anybody here postponing or reconsidering 'graduation' in light of current financial events?
Not yet, but I don't have to formally decide until May10th.
wmackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:35 PM   #466
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Not due to financial events, but due to the pandemic. Our school district was out on Spring Break last week, and my original plan was to give a two week notice when we returned yesterday. However, schools remain closed and we await a vote from State Board of Education whether to remain closed the rest of year. My (Finance) staff and I are working from home, and if school closes for good I don't know how long that could continue. Maybe into Summer.

So I'll stay to see this through. Partly out of concern for my staff, and partly for the selfish reason that not having to go into work has made my job more tolerable!
Lienlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 01:52 PM   #467

I can't. Already gave notice, but I wouldn't have anyway.
Old 03-24-2020, 02:50 PM   #468
Recycles dryer sheets

I did it last week.
ER plans are now going to be a trial by FIRE.
Will tighten the belt for a few months, the cash bucket is good for a few years. Interesting times as they say.
Go-NoGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:19 PM   #469
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No way. Worked my whole life for this.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #470
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, believe it or not, one of my primary motivations for retirement was the fact that I hated the commute and did not want to seek out a new job.
The virus situation means I no longer commute....going to ride a bit more to see how this turns out. Ultimately, have enough cash to still go out, just want to give it a bit more time to see what happens.
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:58 PM   #471
Recycles dryer sheets

A bit of an update for those who have followed me. Eight months after moving out of old house finally got moved into an overpriced house that needs a lot of work. I got 80% of my stuff back last week and will have time for the house fixes now. Gotta make an 18 hour round trip back to KC to get 20% of the rest of my stuff back. Worst part was my dad also passed a bit over a week ago, sucks not having a funeral till this mess is over. Also one of the bigger reasons of my leaving was they wouldn't let me work for home in another state and guess what, now everybody gets to work from home even the big time non performers that should of been fired years ago. LOL
nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:18 PM   #472

So sorry to hear about your dad- hopefully you'll be settled in your new house soon
Old 03-30-2020, 08:25 PM   #473

So, I went on vacation to a 'safe' country last month. A month later, I'd lost ~1/3 of my investments, the ability to travel, and the ability to pay cash for a house in Hawaii. I've deferred my May date...may as well change it to TBD....OMY?
Old 03-30-2020, 08:40 PM   #474
Recycles dryer sheets

Class of 2020

Yes, part of my desire to retire was to leave behind all the "drama" from Admins and avoid the daily commute. Now everyone is FORCED to work from home and there are fewer meetings and nonsense.

I'm finishing a project (by May), so only working part time with very few requests from Admins because of all the changes.

By end of May, I am free except we may still be home bound until pandemic resolves.

Stay safe !
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:14 PM   #475
Recycles dryer sheets

So much irony here, isn't there?

I wanted to retire to get rid of my godawful commute - NOW: no commute

I wanted to retire in order to start some serious travel - NOW: no travel now for anyone for the most part.
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:50 PM   #476
Give me a forum ...

Do we all realize how lucky we are to take a hit so early in retirement? Most SORR failures happen at market peaks.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:51 PM   #477
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Me, my plan A was to retire June 1. Plan B was to retire 12/1 and they would owe me 7 weeks of vacation. I decided on 6/1 and after Easter I start 5 weeks of vacation BUT I'm going to delay my retirement and fall back to Plan B. Two reasons - I want to see if my dividends get cut ( I'm fairly positive Las Vegas Sands will suspend) and I want to make sure my son and DIL don't get laid off and need me financially.

I'm really looking forward to having 5 weeks off and staying in the house. Working with the public is very stressful right now.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:44 AM   #478

I'm glad this mess happened now... I thought the market was a bit frothy so even though I'm pushing my date to the right (eyeing the end of the year to make my decision) I will feel more confident about the future than I would after such a long bull market (I was running numbers with a 40% decline as I planned on the summer). If the market doesn't go down much more, I still should be able to maintain a SWR with the hope/expectation that there will be a bull to push me along early in FIRE. If I think I can stomach it, I may decide to w*rk till April 2021 (April Fools Day would be a fun date) in order to max out my 401 one more time while keeping my W-2 income near zero.

Currently "telecommuting" but there is not much I can accomplish but training. It is nice not going in but still technically w*rking and not able to pursue a lot of other activities I enjoy due to social distancing take away enjoyment of being away from the office. Hopefully, when things start going back to "normal," I will feel like I'm returning from vacation and feel refreshed from the break to get me through the rest of the year.
FLSUnFIRE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 10:30 AM   #479
Recycles dryer sheets

I am still retiring in late May. We decided to lower our AA 7/93. Will increase equities when market stabilizes.
Mountain skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:02 AM   #480
Recycles dryer sheets

OP here:
My gosh...what a shocking downhill drop in just two weeks! If I had not retired on 12/1/2016 then at the peak I would have accumulated 4M. But today it would have been only 3M. I retired on 12/1/2016 also with 3M and today I've around 2.45M. I dont know whether it was a right decision or not but only time would tell either way. Just on 3/12, everything was financially well but two weeks that followed frightened me. Planning to stay the course on 60/40(which has now become 50/50 and will leave it there not re-balance) and check yearly.