Join Early Retirement Today

Class of 2020
Old 07-13-2020, 06:55 AM   #641
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Class of 2020

Well, I’m going to go ahead and claim the brass ring at age 54. The numbers work and my last working day was Friday, although part of my severance keeps me on the payroll until August 14. I’ve told everyone I’m taking a long-planned sabbatical. With all the mental hamster wheels still spinning on momentum, I can’t guarantee that I’ll never get paid again for something (the head hunter who placed me already reached out), and DW has an enjoyable, easy, part time, remote job that she seems to need to fill time and have purpose, but the Vanguard and Personal Capital projections show that we don’t actually have to do anything if we don’t want to. Today is my first day of freedom so I’m going grocery shopping on a Monday morning, then start a fun-for-me project of building a fence in the backyard to start experiencing what all this FIRE business actually is! WAHOO!
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2020, 07:21 AM   #642
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Well, I’m going to go ahead and claim the brass ring at age 54. The numbers work and my last working day was Friday, although part of my severance keeps me on the payroll until August 14. I’ve told everyone I’m taking a long-planned sabbatical. With all the mental hamster wheels still spinning on momentum, I can’t guarantee that I’ll never get paid again for something (the head hunter who placed me already reached out), and DW has an enjoyable, easy, part time, remote job that she seems to need to fill time and have purpose, but the Vanguard and Personal Capital projections show that we don’t actually have to do anything if we don’t want to. Today is my first day of freedom so I’m going grocery shopping on a Monday morning, then start a fun-for-me project of building a fence in the backyard to start experiencing what all this FIRE business actually is! WAHOO!
Good for you!
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 10:59 AM   #643
Recycles dryer sheets

Put in my paperwork. Last day 7/31. More like a resign from one job and find another. My next job or jobs will be part time. They may be just temp jobs. I actually like working. And collecting a paycheck is always helpful.
Old 07-13-2020, 11:52 AM   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
Good for you!

Thanks and you, too!
Old 07-13-2020, 05:40 PM   #645

Congrats all of you!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:03 AM   #646

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampshade View Post
Put in my paperwork. Last day 7/31. More like a resign from one job and find another. My next job or jobs will be part time. They may be just temp jobs. I actually like working. And collecting a paycheck is always helpful.

Exactly the same. Good luck!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #647

Congrats to Markola and lampshade. The water's fine; come on in.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:55 PM   #648
Dryer sheet aficionado

I announced last Friday on my MegaCorp 30yr anniversary. Giving up a nice salary but my brain was rotting. Excited and naturally scared having to cover healthcare for 8 more years...
LimaPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #649

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaPop View Post
I announced last Friday on my MegaCorp 30yr anniversary. Giving up a nice salary but my brain was rotting. Excited and naturally scared having to cover healthcare for 8 more years...
Congrats!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:30 AM   #650
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats to all that that recently FIRED!!!!
Old 07-16-2020, 07:47 AM   #651
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Awesome and congrats👍
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 10:43 AM   #652

Congrats to everyone FIREing themselves recently!

Today was my original, pre-COVID target; mentally, I feel like the timeline didn't change. I sort of feel like I'm retiring in place when working from home and less motivated to do any stupid things I'm tasked with and I don't have to "look" busy. I do want to do things I enjoy for money (which, in this weird COVID world eases some of my uncertainty) in retirement. I applied for a FT job at a craft brewery walking distance from my home yesterday and am keeping my fingers crossed. Only 4 days a week and something/place I'd really have fun w*rking and hanging out... the income and full-time schedule, wouldn't make me "RE" but I would be doing something I enjoy and without technically needing the income.... definitely feeling the FI! (even if a bit risk averse at the moment).

FLSunFIRE
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #653
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats everyone!
RxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:37 PM   #654
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm planning to retire this year, hopefully before I turn 55 in October.

Our nest egg is a somewhat complicated mess that includes a large chunk of inherited IRA that must be cashed out in the next 10 years due to the changes in tax law. On top of this I have taxable investments, and my own IRAs, and a combination of 529 and UTF savings accounts to cover my two teenagers college expenses. When I do my FIRE calculations, I use the sum of the inherited IRA, regular IRAs, and taxable investments which total a bit over 2.5MM. The college accounts amount to another 400K, which I think can cover both kids educations.

My date is currently up in the air, as are many things due to the pandemic. One of the teenagers is still in high school, and we are not sure what the format will be in the fall. A program of full time remote learning might make me pull the plug by August. I get a review and profit sharing statement from my employer in September, and if this is better than I expect I might hold off into January to meet a vesting timeline. My expectations are not high for that.

Overall, the big concerns are paying for heath care, but I feel like there are good options and we are hoping that my DW will continue working a bit longer with benefits to cover short term. I have also found packages in the 1200/month range that should cover the family and be affordable as an option. FireCalc tells me I can withdraw 85K/year with 100% success on a 35 year schedule (and I think we can live just fine on this).

I still wonder about some things, like we have 17 years left on our mortgage, and we have a car payment (although we could pay that off with cash on hand). Am I overthinking it?
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:21 PM   #655

Aloha - I'm officially moving to the Class of 2021. This year, I had a 'solid' RE date of May 15, which was eight weeks after a month-long vacation to New Zealand. Coming home to mandatory stay-at-home orders meant I no longer had to go into the office. It also meant no more travel this year. So, we're now buying a house instead of a condo, and I'm planning to RE in mid-January 2021 (Rule of 55) or later, depending on the upgrades we decide to do with the house. The list is already long and expensive, and we haven't moved in yet! Anyway, excited to change islands, buy my first house (after 3 condos), have our own pool, and be able to dive locally year-round. Aloha, and good luck to those of you in this class who haven't ER yet!
Old 07-31-2020, 06:30 AM   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Aloha - I'm officially moving to the Class of 2021. This year, I had a 'solid' RE date of May 15, which was eight weeks after a month-long vacation to New Zealand. Coming home to mandatory stay-at-home orders meant I no longer had to go into the office. It also meant no more travel this year. So, we're now buying a house instead of a condo, and I'm planning to RE in mid-January 2021 (Rule of 55) or later, depending on the upgrades we decide to do with the house. The list is already long and expensive, and we haven't moved in yet! Anyway, excited to change islands, buy my first house (after 3 condos), have our own pool, and be able to dive locally year-round. Aloha, and good luck to those of you in this class who haven't ER yet!
We'll, you don't seem upset about it at least. Making lemonade out of life's lemons- [emoji16]
Old 07-31-2020, 07:07 AM   #657

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
Much Mana to you as you embark on a what sounds like a huge transitional year. One thing I liked about Hawaii's transient population was it was super easy to aquire and get rid of things when we arrived/moved. Not sure if pandemonium has slowed that migration trend but you know all about island shipping. I recommend crating or sharing a crate inner island.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:18 AM   #658
Confused about dryer sheets

Unlike HNLBill today is the day for me. This email is my last action on my work computer before i turn it off and hand in my computer, phone and ID badge. Was not so certain about 7 months ago i gave notice then COVID hit and stock market tanked. While the numbers still worked since my scenario planning was fairly gloomy with 50% market drop and no real recovery, 25% SS cut, and over estimates on expenses it still seemed like the gods were sending me a message. But being a naturally frugal LBYM person by nature and similar spouse, apparently messages from the gods are soon forgotten. But really i think it was first good planning with help from sites like this and people like you. Telework helped with the transition to not working by slowly removing commutes, constant travel and a portion of the constant stress. So wish me luck as i take the first step to being an unproductive burden on society.
OTDasap2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 12:04 PM   #659

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
Much Mana to you as you embark on a what sounds like a huge transitional year. One thing I liked about Hawaii's transient population was it was super easy to aquire and get rid of things when we arrived/moved. Not sure if pandemonium has slowed that migration trend but you know all about island shipping. I recommend crating or sharing a crate inner island.
Thanks! Last time, I rented an 8-foot cube (shipping container), and it was cheap! Like $200. Not sure if they're available anymore, and not sure everything will fit. I've moved to Oahu twice, to Maui, to CA from Maui, but never to Hawaii Island!
Old 07-31-2020, 12:07 PM   #660

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugeauxgirl View Post
We'll, you don't seem upset about it at least. Making lemonade out of life's lemons- [emoji16]
Not too upset at the moment, but I'll admit to some mild depression amidst the self-isolation, and cancelled Europe, Okinawa, and Galapagos travel plans. Giving up this year's extensive travel plans and continuing to w#rk was hard at first, but being on the way to our dream home, and the island I've wanted to live on for the past 26 years is making this way easier! Once I close escrow and move, making it to the end of the year w#rking may be much harder than it appears now!