Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: The maximum I ever spent on an item of clothing was.....
<$100 7 6.86%
$100-$199 17 16.67%
$200-$399 37 36.27%
$400-$599 13 12.75%
$600-$799 11 10.78%
$800-$999 7 6.86%
$1000 or more 10 9.80%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Clothing: What's the most you've ever spent? (POLL)
Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Clothing: What's the most you've ever spent? (POLL)

Inspired by the Shoe thread, I am starting this one. Way back in 1985 I spent the equivalent of about $700 on a power dress (Dynasty style) for a special occasion. (I also bought matching shoes and makeup). I was celebrating a significant career achievement and the possibilities seemed endless. I was living within my means, but not below.

Now that the possibilities have, for the most part, been realized, last year I spent only $625 on clothing, in total, taxes included.

How about you?
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is probably revealing to much but back in the day when I was working for someone else, I was promoted to VP and as part of the congratulations package I was handed 1.5K to go out and buy a new wardrobe. At first I was a little insulted but then I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and said "oh yeah, good point"

So, I duly went out and bought said fine and fancy threads. Due to my inbuilt inability to waste money I couldn't quite bring myself to spend the whole 1.5K but got close.
As we were leaving the thieves den, I caught sight of a beautiful trench coat on a strikingly masculine mannequin. Hey, I said to myself, I'm kind of strikingly masculine aren't I ? (I had a full beard then). Besides, I still have money left and that trench coat would make me look like Bogart in Casablanca !

Long story short, I didn't have enough company money left but bought it anyway by topping it up with my own funds.

So, I walked out wearing what was essentially an $800 dollar rain poncho.

It doesn't rain that much in Ontario.

I didn't look like Bogart. More like Sydney Greenstreet.

Fifteen years later, it went to Goodwill.

Every time it rains I keep expecting to run into a very well dressed bum who's got a ticket on the last plane out of town.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:09 AM   #3

I plead guilty to having spent $300+ yrs ago on a pair of Italian cycling shoes. Far more than I've ever spent of street shoes.
But in my defense, those Sidi's fit perfectly & are still in great shape after outlasting multiple pairs of cheaper bike shoes.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #4

I spent less than $100 on clothing last year, but DW spent a lot more.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
I plead guilty to having spent $300+ yrs ago on a pair of Italian cycling shoes. Far more than I've ever spent of street shoes.
But in my defense, those Sidi's fit perfectly & are still in great shape after outlasting multiple pairs of cheaper bike shoes.
Thank you! Here's the shoe thread for your reading pleasure.....

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...oes-70921.html
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My big cost items were bridesmaid dresses, that, with alterations, pushed them over the $200 mark. I hate dressing up.
I've never really liked clothes shopping anyway, and endeavor to spend as little as possible. We had to buy a $500 suit for DH last year for a formal invite to something, and gritted our teeth. I did however re-wear one of the aforementioned bridesmaids dresses, for once!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

The most I have ever spent on an item of clothing was around $600, for an Italian wool suit. Five years later, I still feel like a million bucks on the rare occasion when I wear it.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
This is probably revealing to much but back in the day when I was working for someone else, I was promoted to VP and as part of the congratulations package I was handed 1.5K to go out and buy a new wardrobe.
I presume this was in private industry. I can see why image would be important when you are the face of the company, but I am surprised that you were treated to a clothes allowance. Did they set any ground rules or critique your fashion sense a la "What Not to Wear"?

A CEO that I knew definitely spruced up and became better dressed and groomed when he started that position (in fact I suspect he started wearing Spanx for men). I doubt that his new duds were all self selected as he had always been a casual dresser who gave little thought to his clothes. I'm sure an image consultant was involved.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm typically an off-the-rack shopper, so my biggest investments in my past life (working) would have been business suits. Now that I'm retired, I spend very little on clothes. I do have an unnatural obsession with nice handbags, however. I'm not going to say how much $$ I have "invested" in those.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I'm typically an off-the-rack shopper, so my biggest investments in my past life (working) would have been business suits. Now that I'm retired, I spend very little on clothes. I do have an unnatural obsession with nice handbags, however. I'm not going to say how much $$ I have "invested" in those.
......or you could start a handbag thread!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Back in late 1993 I promised myself that if I got the promotion I hoped to get, I would go out and buy a new suit. Just after Christmas I went to Macy's or A&S (I forget which) and bought one which was marked down. I also had a 20%-off coupon so the total cost ended up being around $225.

(Not quite as dramatic as Koogie's tale.....)
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:21 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Several years ago I spent $600 - $800 on a suit. Last year I spent around $800 on clothing, mostly on hiking boots/shoes,running shoes, carhart coat, workboots and a couple pairs of jeans.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

It's been so long I can't remember exactly but I bought several suits in the $600 range when I was younger, that's what I voted based on. Now I think my dress shoes (at about $325/pair) cost as much or more than my last few suits. Come to think of it, my GoreTex (sailing) foul weather suit probably cost more than the best wool dress suits I ever bought, and it was worth every penny - but probably not meant to be included for the purposes of this poll.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #14

Last year I splurged on two 3 packs of Gold Toe socks. Probably 9 bucks. In reality I'm a hard to shop for type so I don't buy clothes and that gives others a chance to get me something needed - like the $200 leather jacket my daughters bought me for Christmas.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 03-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
......or you could start a handbag thread!
I'm afraid the "snark factor" of that would make it a free-for-all condemning my frivolous economic foibles. Some things are better kept to ones self.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #16

$500 for a new suit at Dillard's when my dad died in 2006.
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:55 PM   #17

You guys blow me away.....we spent over $4K on clothing last year. In defense, a decent amount was athletic gear that often needs to be replaced at least once a year (several types of shoes, shirts that get nasty, etc). Also due to needing a different size (in the good direction).
someguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #18

Oh my, I don't really know what I was thinking. I was actually quite the clothes horse back in the day with hand made dress shirts and suits, along with a whole lot of other frivolous spending. I won't talk about how much I spent although now I consider it obscene. Only good thing is 20 years later suits are still in excellent condition so I still wear them. About 3 of the dress shirts are still crisp and wearable. I don't intend to ever spend money on "dress clothes" ever again.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #19

I've bought one suit in my life, about 20 years ago that may have been over $200. I don't remember.

I'm fairly certain that's my only clothing purchase that's ever been 3 digits.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I presume this was in private industry. I can see why image would be important when you are the face of the company, but I am surprised that you were treated to a clothes allowance. Did they set any ground rules or critique your fashion sense a la "What Not to Wear"?

A CEO that I knew definitely spruced up and became better dressed and groomed when he started that position (in fact I suspect he started wearing Spanx for men). I doubt that his new duds were all self selected as he had always been a casual dresser who gave little thought to his clothes. I'm sure an image consultant was involved.
It was in private industry and we had a lot of blue chip clients to meet and impress. I think I got the allowance because I could be trusted then to keep my mouth shut about their indulgences as well... No, I was entrusted with my own choices. I have decent fashion sense. Just a hard to open wallet.

FWIW, I've worked at my own company for the last 10+ years. The last clothing purchase I made was two pairs of Levis on sale at Walmart for $40

See, everything reverts to the mean....