Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 06:14 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

This morning the meter is at 80. That's the highest that I've seen since following it. Maybe "something" is getting ready to happen?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 07:09 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
This morning the meter is at 80. That's the highest that I've seen since following it. Maybe "something" is getting ready to happen?
The 7 components of this index are conflicted.

Junk bond demand: Extreme greed
Market momentum: Extreme greed
Safe haven demand: Extreme greed
Market volatility: Neutral
Put and call options: Neutral
Stock price strength: Extreme fear
Stock price breadth: Extreme fear

Meanwhile, the futures are down this morning, prior to market open.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

My solution to the fear is simple (and arguably elegant): if you think you have put money in at the record high, be prepared to keep investing into it every month/year for the next xx years (xx > 10).

But don't go put large amount of money into penny or obviously over valued stocks and hold me responsible for it when you got nothing in return after 10 years.

Consistent investing over impulse buy any day.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:48 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I do notice there are misusing some info, and some missing. Momentum for example is bullish not bearish.

And nothing about sentiment or commodities.

Also, if you do not invest at or near market highs you will be on the sidelines a lot.

Stay Fully Invested.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:40 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
I do notice there are misusing some info, and some missing. Momentum for example is bullish not bearish.

And nothing about sentiment or commodities.

Also, if you do not invest at or near market highs you will be on the sidelines a lot.

Stay Fully Invested.
Yes, momentum is bullish, which they say is greedy.

To be fair, they do not claim this is a buy/sell signal, but greed/fear. You have to decide to go with the flow, or to be a contrarian.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 04-19-2021, 12:04 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Really, the gadget is clearly the product of someone trying to create today's click bait. The fact that its underlying indicators are equally weighted is prima facie evidence that no covariance analysis has been done. A serious effort would undoubtedly result in unequal weightings, but even that begs the question: What historical data could be used to validate the "measurement?" "too bulliish," "too bearish" -- How do you validate that, not to mention validating their claim that you can profit by "taking the other side?"

But, hey, the real objective is to attract eyeballs. That's apparently working for them.
+1

An index created purely to have something to report on in a "dramatic" way.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, momentum is bullish, which they say is greedy.

To be fair, they do not claim this is a buy/sell signal, but greed/fear. You have to decide to go with the flow, or to be a contrarian.
Yes noticed that. Maybe another way to say it is it is not particular useful to stock investors. But I guess if it induces hand-wringing and fear that could be something of a benefit.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:43 PM   #28

Many decades ago I subscribed to this timeless advice:

"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."

I still think that's an excellent philosophy.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
"Believe half of what you see..."
There's still the risk we choose the wrong half.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Geckos are good.

---Gordon Green

(I like geckos.)
https://www.geckosislandadventures.com/

A great ATV ride in St Croix. Heading down there again in Nov. Gecko's are good. lol

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Old 04-20-2021, 09:34 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Many decades ago I subscribed to this timeless advice:

"Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear."

I still think that's an excellent philosophy.
And that was when there was much less to see!
Old 04-20-2021, 09:53 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Throw the book out the window because stimulus makes new rules.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #33
Administrator

<mod note>

Multiple posts have been removed. They were all media bashing and unrelated to the thread topic. This constant sniping at media, usually unrelated to the thread topic, does a double disservice to our community. It interferes with thoughtful discussions and brings incivility into otherwise polite exchange.
Old 04-20-2021, 12:28 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
<mod note>

Multiple posts have been removed. They were all media bashing and unrelated to the thread topic. This constant sniping at media, usually unrelated to the thread topic, does a double disservice to our community. It interferes with thoughtful discussions and brings incivility into otherwise polite exchange.

Heh heh heh - I don't know what to say. It snowed today so I'm inside posting.
Old 04-20-2021, 01:06 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
Eh people, do not take a peek now, but that meter is now way below 80, a high "Greed" level.

All that in 2 days of trade.

Buy, buy, buy...

NOOOO...

SELL, SELL, SELL...

Old 04-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

What ya know, this index has moved from slight Fear to Greed at this moment.

I own a variety of stocks (about 90) in different sectors. Every day, just looking across my portfolio, I get a feel of the Greed/Fear level without the above index.

On a normal day, some positions are red, and some are green. Some days, nearly everything I own is in the red. Big Fear. Sell, sell, sell... On some days, nearly everything I own is green. Like today. Buy, buy, buy...

I am used to Greed and Fear. If the market is greedy a few days in a row, I start to sell covered-call options. If the market is fearful a few days in a row, I start to sell cash-covered put options.

I can handle both Greed and Fear, but I will readily admit that I much prefer Greed to Fear. It's more fun that way. I would rather sell calls than puts.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:54 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Eh, it's been 3 weeks already since my last post on this thread. Perhaps people other than the OP have forgotten, but I have not.

What do you know, this arguably dubious index is now at 37, in the Fear Zone.

I just moved about 1/3 of 1% of portfolio into stocks. It's peanuts, I know, but only so that I could claim later that I did buy when others were fearful.

Old 05-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

. Football season is not yet here. Soooo - I may have to add to my 'few good stocks' collection.

Heh heh heh - I still maintain it's a guy thing. Or as Willie Nelson says - 'Not Dead Yet'.
Old 05-13-2021, 03:01 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, it's been 3 weeks already since my last post on this thread. Perhaps people other than the OP have forgotten, but I have not.

What do you know, this arguably dubious index is now at 37, in the Fear Zone.

I just moved about 1/3 of 1% of portfolio into stocks. It's peanuts, I know, but only so that I could claim later that I did buy when others were fearful.
When there's blood - well, maybe plasma, in the street... etc. and YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:36 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

“And if they insist on trying to time their participation in equities, they should try to be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful.” — Warren Buffett

Well, when other people are fearful, I always want to buy. The problem is their fear sometimes seem unbounded, while my cash is not unlimited.

And when they are greedy and bid stocks up to crazy values, I often do not have the same vaporware stocks to sell, and you know it's not wise to sell short.

"The markets can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent.” -- John Maynard Keynes

Closed Thread