Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2017, 03:31 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would not co-sign any loan or enter any partnerships. I like to keep my life simple and my brain as clear as possible. Intertwining other people with my finances causes stress for me.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2017, 03:41 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I would not co-sign any loan or enter any partnerships. I like to keep my life simple and my brain as clear as possible. Intertwining other people with my finances causes stress for me.
+1

I have a solid no co-sign, no loan policy.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:46 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I read the first line of your post - and my answer is NO!

I don't make loans and I am not a bank.

Michael
IMATERP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:04 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
... They are working long hours every day (including weekends) trying to build the business and have a sizable amount of inventory in their warehouse. Their problem seems to be not having enough of a sales force to go out and sign up retailers to carry their products. ...
What this tells me is that they don't know how to run a business. I can't tell you how many times, as a SCORE business mentor, I have explained to a client that all the inward-facing stuff in the world, like building infrastructure and buying inventory, is completely irrelevant unless and until they sell something. It's no surprise that they need money if they have purchased "sizable" inventory without having sales.

Also, wholesale distribution unless for a very special niche, is probably not a good choice for a startup. Inventories are large and turn fairly slowly. pricing is brutal, and often they are trying to penetrate an old boy network. We often ask clients: "What is your unique selling proposition? Why would anyone buy from you?" You could ask them that.

The company probably needs new leadership if it is to survive.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Ask if any of the principals if anyone has taken the Dale Carnegie Sales Training course.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:09 PM   #26

Give them the loan, but have the owner of the company add you to the title on his personal home - Assuming the home has way more than $35K in equity.

If the owner will not do that, it is too risky for him, and you know it is too risky for you too.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:14 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
.... under what circumstances, specifically, you'd be willing to co-sign such a loan. ?
None
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:55 PM   #28

Lol, my mom wouldn't even consign on my college apartment. Had to pay cash up front! (Thank goodness it was only $2500)
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:56 PM   #29

Run away screaming into the night from any thought of co-signing this loan.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:58 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Run away screaming into the night from any thought of co-signing this loan.
OMG too funny. I pictured someone running thru the streets screaming waving their arms hahahah.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 PM   #31

Some of the wisest men in the ancient world contributed to the book of Proverbs in the Bible.

Proverbs 6:1-5 has much to say about putting up security (co-signing) for strangers-none of it is good.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:42 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
OMG too funny. I pictured someone running thru the streets screaming waving their arms hahahah.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Have they tried Shark Tank ?
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:56 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I was just thinking.... I have a BIL whose brother made a loan to a company that he thought was OK... but he had it structured that if not paid back he got 100% of the company...

Well, loan was not paid back.... he took control and got it up and running correctly and now is a multi-millionaire.... he was just a supervisor at a chemical plant before, so this made him....

So, if you think that it can be successful with a bit of work and you want to do that work, do a loan and either get paid back with a high rate or take over the company....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I was just thinking.... I have a BIL whose brother made a loan to a company that he thought was OK... but he had it structured that if not paid back he got 100% of the company...

Well, loan was not paid back.... he took control and got it up and running correctly and now is a multi-millionaire.... he was just a supervisor at a chemical plant before, so this made him....

So, if you think that it can be successful with a bit of work and you want to do that work, do a loan and either get paid back with a high rate or take over the company....
These things never happened to me. All the people I know that wanted me to help them out were bad risks, and or dead beats.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

One advantage of going the venture capital route is that they teach their entrepreneurs how to run a technology business. Yes they receive a % of the business in return for their investment and guidance but most without that would fail.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman52 View Post
+1

I have a solid no co-sign, no loan policy.

+1
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #38

Basically how I look at co-signing a loan, is consider it a gift. Like you will never get it back if you have to pay it back because they didn't. If you did get it back, you would be lucky.

We don't co sign for anything. Co signed for kids cars way back when and that is it.

Good luck with the IT work though.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #39

No No and No.

If I knew them well and truly believed in the high chance for an upside, I would make the loan myself, but never co-sign.

Co-signing isn't even as good a risk as a gift - a gift I know I'm at zero. A co-sign means I could have credit damage before I know what's happening. Can't write a check to make that go away.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:20 AM   #40

NO!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote