Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm surprised at how many people have "doctors". What age does this happen? Am I supposed to go to the doctor?
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2017, 06:39 PM   #42

Getting annuals is a good idea. So that's a PCP.

Then most women also have a OB/GYN that they visit at least once a year in addition, and the lovely mammograms. Assume most men visit urologist for the cough test sooner or later as well? Hence "doctors".
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
But I'd have to drop all my doctors, no longer get the Cleveland Clinic in my plan, and have a much higher deductible for that price. Copays and referrals for everything, stuff like that higher too. So a PITA cost.
I know what you mean. In particular, here in a lot of Texas the only Marketplace choice is an HMO that does not include MD Anderson (among others), and that is a deal breaker for a lot of folks. In contrast, the employer plan I'm on now (lucky to have one for 20-25 hours a week) not only includes MD Anderson, but treats them as a "cancer center of excellence" so we would pay a 10% copay instead of the usual 15% above the deductible.

It's bizarre how the individual and the employer group models are so different in terms of pricing and motivation.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireAge50 View Post
I'm surprised at how many people have "doctors". What age does this happen? Am I supposed to go to the doctor?
Since our early 40s or thereabouts. I get annual exam; DW gets annual exam (she's been doing it for a lot longer). Two different doctors, as she prefers for personal reasons not to go to our friend for her exams--even though they've cross-referred over the years.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Timely topic for me, facing COBRA at ~1,900/month but even a basic search shows closer to 1,400 in the exchange for my particular situation similar coverage. Going to an agent tomorrow to see what makes the most sense, guessing private will win over exchange, and over cobra.
DanP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 PM   #46

Quote:
Only one doctor here for annual check up. I no longer have an OBGYN.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

only one now also, as my OB/GYN just retired and I have been researching whether one really needs to continue seeing one past menopause. I'm leaning toward not. Will of course continue with having the annual mammogram, or annual pancaking as I called it at work, to the confusion of the mostly male staff and the generally riotous laughter of the few females within earshot
mamadogmamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #48

Mine can do all the tests that OBGYN can, hence there is no need to see any OBGYN.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:12 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
Mine can do all the tests that OBGYN can, hence there is no need to see any OBGYN.
True. DW is an OBG. She doesn't see an OBG any longer (56).
Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #50

Quote:
Yes, around age 40 you will start to see doctors more often. Other than dental checkups and physical exams required by my job I didn't see any at all until about that age. Then I had a stomach ulcer (long since healed) and I had a gastroenterologist to see a couple times a year. Also around age 40 I had knee surgery and two hernia repairs a year apart. About 45 I had minor surgery for squamous cell cancer on my ear. No recurrence with that but now I had a dermatologist to see a couple times a year.

Through age 60 that was about it, then things started to snowball at 64 when I ended up with two stents in my heart and I had a cardiologist, a couple years later I had a cardiac ablation done for atrial fibrillation so now I have an electrophysiologist to see twice a year. Last December a spot on my arm turned out to be malignant melanoma, so now at 67 I have a dermatologist, a plastic surgeon, and an oncologist in addition to the others. ( The melanoma seems to have been caught early, no issues.)

This "getting old" crap is a pain in the butt but I suppose it's better than the alternative.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:57 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yes, around age 40 you will start to see doctors more often. Other than dental checkups and physical exams required by my job I didn't see any at all until about that age. Then I had a stomach ulcer (long since healed) and I had a gastroenterologist to see a couple times a year. Also around age 40 I had knee surgery and two hernia repairs a year apart. About 45 I had minor surgery for squamous cell cancer on my ear. No recurrence with that but now I had a dermatologist to see a couple times a year.

Through age 60 that was about it, then things started to snowball at 64 when I ended up with two stents in my heart and I had a cardiologist, a couple years later I had a cardiac ablation done for atrial fibrillation so now I have an electrophysiologist to see twice a year. Last December a spot on my arm turned out to be malignant melanoma, so now at 67 I have a dermatologist, a plastic surgeon, and an oncologist in addition to the others. ( The melanoma seems to have been caught early, no issues.)

This "getting old" crap is a pain in the butt but I suppose it's better than the alternative.

Oh boy... so it should be soon for me. I'm so glad there are doctors to help us when things go bad and you are doing ok now.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote