Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-07-2017, 06:23 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Thanks... good starting point for me. about 150 mixed, many of which I'd never heard of three cent nickels and half dimes... Plus a lot of old paper money from other countries, silver based bills, and some rolls of zinc pennies. Think maybe the old Barber quarter may be worth something.
Any 20-cent pieces? Those were cool.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 08:51 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know anything about coins and stamps. But when I was disposing of my parents antiques/semi-antiques/collectibles I quickly learned that if you sell to a dealer, you are selling at wholesale because he wants (and deserves) a profit. If you try to sell them yourself you are faced with trying to place a fair value/price on them. That may be easier these days via the Internet and eBay but it was a real challenge for me 20 or so years ago. I know I was way off the mark on some items and was probably influenced by "Mom always loved this vase" in pricing some items too high. Dunno if it's easier with coins and stamps
Old 03-07-2017, 10:09 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I don't know anything about coins and stamps. But when I was disposing of my parents antiques/semi-antiques/collectibles I quickly learned that if you sell to a dealer, you are selling at wholesale because he wants (and deserves) a profit. If you try to sell them yourself you are faced with trying to place a fair value/price on them. That may be easier these days via the Internet and eBay but it was a real challenge for me 20 or so years ago. I know I was way off the mark on some items and was probably influenced by "Mom always loved this vase" in pricing some items too high. Dunno if it's easier with coins and stamps
It is a lot easier with coins and stamps as there are a finite number of them issued. The problem comes when you try to value antiques (if they really are).
tHEN THERE ARE THE hUMMEL FIGURES, llADRO, wEDGEWOOD, ETC. THAT HAVE DROPPED IN VALUE.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
tHEN THERE ARE THE hUMMEL FIGURES, llADRO, wEDGEWOOD, ETC. THAT HAVE DROPPED IN VALUE.

No- my Beanie Babies haven't lost value, have they? Please say it ain't so!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #45

I apologize for the caps. I accidentally hit the caps lock and could not edit it for some reason
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:16 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I apologize for the caps. I accidentally hit the caps lock and could not edit it for some reason
And here I thought you were just pissed off over inheriting all those worthless collectibles.
Old 03-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Only inheritance DW received from her mom was a few "antiques" or "collectibles" AND a duffle bag full of (mostly) US Silver coins. Her mom thought they were extremely valuable 'cause she had a book (the red one) which she often went through. She always counted the highest value as she had no concept of condition. I recall she was most proud of her paper $5 CSA (Confederate States of America). I never had the heart to point out that on the back, it said in small print: Fac simile.

We sold most of the old watches, clocks, figurines, Damascus Twist barrel shotgun, etc. at an auction. The coins, we kept as I figured they were silver and would always be worth the melt value (plus the small premium usually held by US Silver coins.) I suppose there was even a small sentimental value attached to her collection as she had so lovingly placed every coin in a cardboard holder and labeled it and "valued" it.

I had a buddy at w*rk who was a part-time coin dealer, so I asked him about the collection. His advice was to look for the "key dates" - there were maybe a dozen he listed (I lost his little cheat sheet, but I could look it up if I ever take an interest.)

He indicated there were really just a few US Silver coins that had any value over their silver value. If they were in really good shape, they could be worth a significant amount but probably not a fortune. He stated that the chance DMIL had collected a truly valuable coin from circulated coins was near nil, though in such an extensive collection there were probably a few which would command at least some premium over melt value if I wanted to take the time to go through them and look.

Key date coins would need to be graded to have any chance of bringing any significant premium - and I would still be at the mercy of a dealer. Alternately, selling to collectors could bring more money, but could also (more likely) invite a break-in - which my buddy had experienced with significant loss.

"Mint sets" and "Proof sets" rarely keep their selling price - especially in the relatively short term - but there are exceptions. For a first approximation (to see if it's worth the effort), there are books and internet sites which show "values" for such readily-traded items. They may be far from accurate, but would offer at least a clue whether one owns something of enough value to mess with.

My buddy loved coins but was disgusted with the business by the time he got out. He'd made a bit of money, but not enough to justify his time even as a dealer. My suggestion is not to expect more than the melt value unless one is willing to put in a lot of time - and then be prepared for probable disappointment. Stamp collections are even worse as they have little intrinsic value (face value if they haven't been used - if you want to lick them and stick them on a letter.) But, that's another story. Now, again, I've told you way more than I know, so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I had a buddy at w*rk who was a part-time coin dealer, so I asked him about the collection. His advice was to look for the "key dates" - there were maybe a dozen he listed (I lost his little cheat sheet, but I could look it up if I ever take an interest.)
Very true. Check out my short list on post 17 of this thread. I'm pretty sure all of these would be on your buddies list too. There are others but these are some of the most sought after modern (last ~140 years) US keys. Personally, I'd add any Morgan Dollars w/CC mint marks in MS 63 or better to my list as "keepers". (but I like CC Morgan Dollars)

Quote:
He indicated there were really just a few US Silver coins that had any value over their silver value. If they were in really good shape, they could be worth a significant amount but probably not a fortune.
There are a lot of common circulated silver coins (pre-65) that are worth more than melt "but" not by a lot of money. (depends on your POV of what is a lot) However, if in really good condition (MS63) or better, most are worth more than melt, some by considerably amounts, but very few have value margins anywhere near what the "keys" have.

Quote:
Key date coins would need to be graded to have any chance of bringing any significant premium
Absolutely since the difference between a MS 63 and MS64 (or better) can be thousands and thousands of dollars, depending on the coin. Also there are a lot of counterfeits of key coins out there so grading by NGC or PCGS pretty much ensures authenticity as well as accurate grading. For really valuable coins, an additional grading by CAC may be worthwhile to remove any grading disputes.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 06:31 AM   #49

I've been going through this dang coin collection and it's pretty overwhelming. Just inventorying it will take weeks. Last night I dug a little further in the boxes and found a moneybag with 25 rolls of silver dimes, apparently unsearched. I recall as a kid in the mid 60s Dad bringing home rolls of dimes and we'd all sit around the table picking out the silver ones, and he'd return the rest.

But there are some goodies in the collection. A complete set of Mercury dimes including the major dates and mint marks (1916-D, 1941/2 included), at least one 1909-S-VDB penny, an 1859 penny, a complete set of franklin half dollars, complete set of Lincoln pennies, silver war nickels, many proof sets dating back to 1950, etc. etc. Nothing is graded as I don't think the grading services existed when Dad was collecting in the 40s, 50s and 60s.

After a crash course on the internet at least I can now go back through this thread and at least understand the advice and terms given so far.

Since I first posted, Dad died and now I'm executor of the estate and have to sell this thing as a fiduciary. At least now I have time since I'm stirred! (Edit: retired. Autocorrect)
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:42 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post

But there are some goodies in the collection. A complete set of Mercury dimes including the major dates and mint marks (1916-D, 1941/2 included), at least one 1909-S-VDB penny, an 1859 penny, a complete set of franklin half dollars, complete set of Lincoln pennies, silver war nickels, many proof sets dating back to 1950, etc. etc. Nothing is graded as I don't think the grading services existed when Dad was collecting in the 40s, 50s and 60s.
If you think you can reasonably estimate the grade of a particular "key" coin, e.g. poor, AG, good, fine XF, AU or in a MS, then send me a PM, or list them here if you like, and I'll give you a "current" price that you might expect to get from a honest (fair) dealer for an accurately graded/certified coin in that condition. The ones I changed to red text above would be considered key coins, but to give you a ballpark estimate I'd need to know the condition.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #51

Quote:
Since I first posted, Dad died and now I'm executor of the estate and have to sell this thing as a fiduciary.
If it's more of a chore for you, I'd pay to sit down with several experts and have them give you a value assessment. Then go to several dealers and get bids for the whole shebang. Since this field has the potential for some honesty-challenged people, I'd not let any part of the collection out of my sight when they had physical access to the collection.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
If it's more of a chore for you, I'd pay to sit down with several experts and have them give you a value assessment. Then go to several dealers and get bids for the whole shebang.
Almost any "dealer" at your local coins shows will give you free estimates. Pick out the key coins and shop them at a show. (You are very unlikely to have many from a pocket change collection, even one that was collected 50 years ago) Average coin show entry fees typically range from 3 to 5 dollars. Pretty quick and cheap way to get your coins valued. Any good dealer should be able to give you an estimate in ~5 minutes for a few (5 or 6) key coins. Of course they will probably lowball you on raw (un-certified) key coins to protect themselves. So I'd get my key coins graded by NGC or PCGS before "actually" selling.

Some examples of coin values that have been mentioned, a single genuine 16d Mercury dime can easily be worth $300 to $500+ even in some of the lower (AG to G) grades but can be worth ~10k to 40k in higher (60 to 65+) MS conditions. (Condition matters, a lot) By comparison, an entire set (dates and mint marks) of Franklin half dollars in average circulated condition (VF to XF) is going to be worth far under 1k and probably less than $500. (Rarity matters too, a lot)
Old 04-14-2017, 01:30 PM   #53

My mom has a safe full of the coins dad collected over the years. Many have value, but there's also a lot of coinage kitsch in there. For example, coins with the historical figures on them painted over in full color, such as the painted Sacagawea dollar, sold as a valuable collector's item, complete with a little beaded leather pouch to store it in. Or sets of gold-colored quarters presented in plastic cases shaped like gold bars. I think maybe his dementia was setting in when he started buying this stuff. Not sure how we'll get rid of it. Stores might be suspicious of funny looking coinage.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:16 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, at least you can easily get a bottom number, the melt value.

U.S. Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator - Coinflation
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:43 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpack View Post
Well, at least you can easily get a bottom number, the melt value.

U.S. Silver Coin Melt Value Calculator - Coinflation
Thanks. There's 25 rolls of silver dimes alone that he either hadn't searched yet, or which he didn't think were good enough to catalog. Melt value of that alone is over $1600, although I don't know yet what fraction of that would be realized by me. OTOH, some of these rolls are full of almost uncirculated coins.

Thanks again for the help so far. Dad's only been gone about a month, and there's a huge amount of work involved just inventorying this collection so I can get someone to look at it. I'll be back.
Old 04-15-2017, 02:59 PM   #56

Quote:

Since I first posted, Dad died and now I'm executor of the estate and have to sell this thing as a fiduciary. At least now I have time since I'm stirred! (Edit: retired. Autocorrect)
I am sorry for your loss. Another option is just to get all the beneficiaries to agree (in writing) and divide it up in a fair way. As long as everybody agrees it's fair then it's fair. Then beneficiaries can sell if they want or keep if they want. In the big picture the coin collection is probably a lower value item than cash, stocks, real estate so focus on the big stuff would be my advice. You could get lost in the weeds spending time on the coins. Just my two cents... so to speak.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
I am sorry for your loss. Another option is just to get all the beneficiaries to agree (in writing) and divide it up in a fair way. As long as everybody agrees it's fair then it's fair. Then beneficiaries can sell if they want or keep if they want. In the big picture the coin collection is probably a lower value item than cash, stocks, real estate so focus on the big stuff would be my advice. You could get lost in the weeds spending time on the coins. Just my two cents... so to speak.
Sounds good to me. Sounds like a considerable number of coins. If you can get everyone together, maybe put them in a big container, let each take a turn at blindly scooping out 1/2 pound, or a cup-full (or whatever) at a time. Take turns until they are gone. Then it's everyone else's problem.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Sounds good to me. Sounds like a considerable number of coins. If you can get everyone together, maybe put them in a big container, let each take a turn at blindly scooping out 1/2 pound, or a cup-full (or whatever) at a time. Take turns until they are gone. Then it's everyone else's problem.

-ERD50
Well, maybe. Since a few coins could be worth > $1k (the 1909-S-VDB penny or the 1916-D dime, as possible examples, depending on condition) while many others are worth melt or face value, not sure that would work equitably.

At least the bulk of the estate - the investments - was transfer on death and bypassed this whole probate process. I basically just have the house and the coin collection to worry about, along with the usual physical stuff like photographs and mementos. Those can be taken care of by having us stand around a table and having a cakewalk, which is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon in fact.

An idea to consider, though. But I have to bear in mind that I will answer to the county commissioner of accounts in the end, and show it was divided properly.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I have used coinstudy.com to get an idea of values on collectible coins.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:00 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, maybe. Since a few coins could be worth > $1k (the 1909-S-VDB penny or the 1916-D dime, as possible examples, depending on condition) while many others are worth melt or face value, not sure that would work equitably.

At least the bulk of the estate - the investments - was transfer on death and bypassed this whole probate process. I basically just have the house and the coin collection to worry about, along with the usual physical stuff like photographs and mementos. Those can be taken care of by having us stand around a table and having a cakewalk, which is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon in fact.

An idea to consider, though. But I have to bear in mind that I will answer to the county commissioner of accounts in the end, and show it was divided properly.
So the coins are under probate - OK, wasn't sure of that. I suppose that does complicate things, and as you say, with maybe a few high value coins in the mix, that might not work so well. But maybe still, if you can be pretty sure that some group of them may not be much more than melt value, just split those? It would at least let you focus on the smaller group of possible high value coins.

Not sure how probate works, but if the beneficiaries state they are OK with the split of those lesser coins, is that good enough?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote