Join Early Retirement Today

COLA Watch
Old 02-20-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
COLA Watch

MOAA email that I recently received reports that inflation is back and eating away at the 5% deflationary hole that was dug last quarter.

Quote:
The Bureau of Labor Statistics released the January consumer price index (CPI), the metric used to calculate the annual cost of living adjustment (COLA).
For the first time this fiscal year, the metric actually increased, at least partially eating away at the 5.0% hole left by months of deflation. Cumulative inflation for FY09 now stands at a -4.5%.
The four-month cumulative inflation figure hasn't been this low in the last 40 years. Check out how this year's CPI compares to the last two years.
If inflation is negative for the entire year, retirees would see no COLA. The law doesn't allow a negative COLA for military retired pay, SBP, Social Security, etc.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

This will be my first COLA year, as I just retired on 31Dec. I really don't care if we get a negative COLA, as our money won't lose anything and we will actually benefit from it vice getting a COLA in addition to $4/gal gas.

I would gladly give up my stopping by for a "COLA" when I can get cheaper gas.
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
This will be my first COLA year, as I just retired on 31Dec. I really don't care if we get a negative COLA, as our money won't lose anything and we will actually benefit from it vice getting a COLA in addition to $4/gal gas.

I would gladly give up my stopping by for a "COLA" when I can get cheaper gas.
You may think differently in 30 years when $1 could have become $3 with the COLA, but remains $1.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Even if retirees don’t get a COLA increase, they won’t lose out. The COLA is designed to maintain retirees’ purchasing power as inflation rises. If the cost of living falls, but retiree pay remains steady, their purchasing power increases.
Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
Even if retirees don’t get a COLA increase, they won’t lose out. The COLA is designed to maintain retirees’ purchasing power as inflation rises. If the cost of living falls, but retiree pay remains steady, their purchasing power increases.
Of course, there's the *real* change in the cost of living and what the government says the change in the cost of living is. But I digress...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Of course, there's the *real* change in the cost of living and what the government says the change in the cost of living is. But I digress...
Only too true, Ziggy. However, having lived without any official COLA for 35 years (first 5 years of wo*k - I had one) I'm sorta looking forward to a COLA'd ANYTHING! Even if it's not the "real" thing, it's better than my pension which has no COLA.

In fact, I'm sorta looking at SS as my pension's COLA. How sad is that? But YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
MOAA email that I recently received reports that inflation is back and eating away at the 5% deflationary hole that was dug last quarter.
So, all of the stimulus programs are succeeding beyond our wildest dreams?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:47 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I've already conceded not getting a COLA this coming fall. The indexes were high last year, and have been falling until this month. It would take some big increases to get above the Jul-Aug-Sep numbers from last year.

The upside is the numbers will probably look good in 2010, if this year remains low.
BLS53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:56 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

This is one of my concerns. I have planned for a 1.5% to 2% COLA creep or is that a leak in my pension.

Bruce
Old 02-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1 View Post
This is one of my concerns. I have planned for a 1.5% to 2% COLA creep or is that a leak in my pension.

Bruce

The trick is to live in an area with a CPI that lags the national average.

Not everyone can, or will, do that I suppose.
BLS53 is offline   Reply With Quote