COLA will be at least 6.2% for Jan checks

6.2 Cola for mil & fed retirees, huh?

For active employees & mil Bush has proposed 2.9 & 3.4 respectively, but Congress is set to pass 3.9 for both.

You'd think the fed govt would have a sane COLA policy based on some realistic economic indicator & that applies across the board to civilian, military, & retirees without having to go through all these political gyrations every year.

I agree. When I was on active duty, it used to p**s me off that retirees often got a bigger pay bump (on a percentage basis) than I did. I'm retired now, will certainly accept the increase to my pension, but would have absolutely no problem if I got no COLA adjustment IF the money I didn't get would go to the active duty and Guard folks who are making such great sacrifices at the moment. They deserve the money a lot more than I do.

I agree. When I was on active duty, it used to p**s me off that retirees often got a bigger pay bump (on a percentage basis) than I did. I'm retired now, will certainly accept the increase to my pension, but would have absolutely no problem if I got no COLA adjustment IF the money I didn't get would go to the active duty and Guard folks who are making such great sacrifices at the moment. They deserve the money a lot more than I do.

Any of the NGO's that support Veteran's will take the donation.:) I think they would be in a better position, and do a much better job of, "targeting" the funds.

Off topic a bit but I'm curious about something. Usually wage inflation outpaces inflation but not now. So in the past new retirees generally fared better than older retirees. Now I assume the opposite might be true if this trend continues. Am I thinking correctly?

Could very well be the current trend. I have been "retired" for 29 years and the COLA increase has been 113.2% (1979-this year), on a non-compounded rate. This is a bit clouded as in the early years the index was not pure CPI, but it is close. Not sure what the wage index increases for the same period were.

So even if you do not collect SS yet, this factors into the payments you would get when you do decide to take them, right?

I don't think my expenses have gone up anywhere near that this year, but in previous years they outstripped inflation, just from the increase in my health insurance.

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom