Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2018, 09:50 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Be careful on car values ,not always what you think . There is a monster car show every weekend in the Woodlands Texas ( Nifty Fifties ) . Last spring we were there and a guy had an early 60s split window corvette for sale . He had it on a flatbed wrecker and of course everyone liked it . He wanted a cool 100K for the car . A lady we were talking with said she was going to buy the Vette . She grabbed her husband and later at the end of the night she bought the corvette . Now a 100K corvette as we were congratulating her she said she got it for 75k . Then she asked me if I wanted to buy her 1957 Chevrolet black red leather convertible . I said how much , she laughed and said ….I will take 150 k
Split window coupe was only made in 1963 and there were only 10k built. 75-100 grand for that is a good buy and I might have tried to make it happen as well if I'd have seen it.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2018, 09:58 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Every weekend in The Woodlands Texas Nifty Fifties has a couple hundred pre 1980 cars . And as they say every one is for sale . We looked at a 1928 Lincoln sedan 28K also a Cord , not the expensive one for 30K . Both cars were show quality.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:02 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Got caught in Galena Il on a one lane road up a mountain... engine wouldn't make it, even in low gear so with a few dozen cars behind us... Turned around and put Victoria into reverse, and crept up to the top... backwards.
Those are bluffs around Galena ... they only want you to think they're mountains.

(Blame Prairie Home Companion for that one)
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:05 AM   #24

now i was always a difficult child and always in trouble .. so one punishment included confiscation of my toys .

now that i have outlived my parents , i have recovered those toys ( some are in hardly played condition ) and they fit easily in my safe , as well

https://www.historicvehicle.org/top-...matchbox-cars/

who knew being bad had an upside

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:14 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We have two vintage cars. They aren’t great monetary investments. However, they are huge memory generators. Earlier this month we taught our grand niece how to drive them while she spent a couple of weeks with us. She learned how to use a clutch, how to push start a car & driving in a rain shower with the top down. Those experiences she will have for the rest of her life. Few if any of her friends know how to use a stick shift automobile. These kinds of experiences are why we keep them.
TriumphTR3fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

I've owned several Chevelles over the years. Restored them and mostly broke even. Still have a 66 Chevelle that I restored to be one of the nicest in the country. Won every possible National award it could get and then out to pasture. Sits in my garage now 99.9% of the time. I logged 100 miles on it since the restoration was completed in 2009....most of which is in and out of my enclosed trailer to/from the show field. I would probably sell it but DW won't let me.
Ready2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFDubb View Post
Those 4th gen turbo Supras (93-02) are going for crazy money right now IMO. Who knew back then? Definitely not me.
Here's recent auction results. Twin turbos in low mileage condition are bringing big bucks. Others, not so much:

https://bringatrailer.com/toyota/supra/
Old 08-27-2018, 10:27 AM   #28

I am a firm believer that anything that has "Collectible" in its name will never be one of my investments. That is not saying I would not own it, just not consider it an investment.
ChiliPepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Every weekend in The Woodlands Texas Nifty Fifties has a couple hundred pre 1980 cars . And as they say every one is for sale . We looked at a 1928 Lincoln sedan 28K also a Cord , not the expensive one for 30K . Both cars were show quality.
Myself and some friends are there almost every Saturday night. One friend has a '56 Ford restomod and a '65 Corvair convertible.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Those are bluffs around Galena ... they only want you to think they're mountains.

(Blame Prairie Home Companion for that one)

A long time ago... seemed like a mountain to Victoria. As I recall... at the top of the "bluff?" there was a tower with 360 view. Just a beautiful place, and overlooking the Mississippi.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #31

Like collecting antiques...the only way you get anything decent out of them is when you're in the business of selling them.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #32

AJA , we need to say hi at the Nifty 50s some weekend . Were you at the brewery car show this Saturday ? We are members of the North Houston Mustang club . I am almost ashamed . We own a 2002 mustang basic V6 /5 speed . Everyone else has the GT's . A friend of ours bought a 2001 Roush last weekend . I have no clue what that cost
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Car values only go up until the people who lusted over those vehicles when new stop buying or die off due to old age. Car values for non-exotic Pre-WWII vehicles (1930's and early 1940's) have dropped like rocks. Values for post-WWII non-exotic Cruisers (1955, '56, '57 Chevrolets and Fords for example) are already declining. Values for 1960 era muscle cars will be the next to see downward trending.

The super high priced exotics are not being purchased by individuals but by investment funds catering to the tastes of their subscribers. Who knows what will happen to these prices when the subscribers age out of their interest in cars and acquiring money.
MI-Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:57 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
AJA , we need to say hi at the Nifty 50s some weekend . Were you at the brewery car show this Saturday ? We are members of the North Houston Mustang club . I am almost ashamed . We own a 2002 mustang basic V6 /5 speed . Everyone else has the GT's . A friend of ours bought a 2001 Roush last weekend . I have no clue what that cost
Yes, we should try to meet up and say Hi! I wasn't at the brewery car show or the Nifty 50's one last week as we took DD and her husband out for a birthday dinner.

I have had 5 Mustangs over the years: a few Fox body convertibles (GT's) and a few sedans. Daughter currently has a 2014 Mustang Premium coupe now and I am off Mustangs unless the "right" Fox body 5.0 convertible shows up again. Otherwise, I drive a pure white 1998 Ford F150 Lariat Edition supercab pickup with 46,000 miles on it.

I'll drop you a message if I plan to go to the Nifty 50's meet this week and where I will be hanging out.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:00 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
A long time ago... seemed like a mountain to Victoria.
Actually, they are unique in this country. My father grew up there and he told me that his walk to school was uphill in both directions.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:02 PM   #36

Thanks for your inputs.
Think I'll start checking prices while visiting the shows, wait on a pull back that always happens at bad times. Give me an excuse to hit another couple shows and auctions this year.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #37

I have a soft spot for BMWs from the 1980s -- I own an '87 325i cabriolet and an '83 633Csi coupe. Neither has what I would consider high-end collectible potential, but I think they're showing some appreciation in the market.

The E30 chassis M3, which is basically a mass-market racecar, has been going for crazy money for some time, often cracking the six-figure mark. The 6 series M models are more affordable.

The nice thing about BMWs of this era is that they had the state of the art in fueling, with computer-controlled port injection. It's quite efficient and reliable.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:39 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI from the linked website:
"Rally Rd. is a platform where blue-chip collector cars are turned into stocks. This asset class has outperformed gold, the S&P500, and New York City Real Estate since 2012."

https://rallyrd.com/
Bruceski44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:59 PM   #39
Administrator

I don't have the funds or cohones to buy an expensive collectible ride. I think it would be fun to own a neat old car. If it simply didn't depreciate and I could use it some then sell it and break even, that would be a win IMO.

I also have a feeling that in 20-30 years many more common vintage cars will not increase in value. As autonomous vehicles hit the road, the experience of driving will diminish and people will be less interested in collecting old cars.

Right now, demand is probably higher with lots of "mature" folks who grew up dreaming of buying a certain car finding themselves with the means to buy one and fulfill that dream. As a couple generations fulfill this desire and age out of the hobby will demand remain?

One thing that will probably happen is overseas buyers will export them to other places. That will reduce supply here and help offset any lower demand.

My gut suggests it's a pretty risky asset long term.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:06 AM   #40
Confused about dryer sheets

I’m new to the forum but think you folks might want to know that profit made from collectible cars is not taxed at regular Capital Gains rate, rather it is taxed at a special rate which is basically like Ordinary Income.

This can make a huge difference when you sell an appreciated car.

Further, recent change in tax law has done away with 1031 exchanges for cars.

Of course, even though you are required to pay high capital gains on any profit, you are prohibited from subtracting any losses with collectible cars!

There appear to be no car lovers in Congress!

Now, I can already hear “How will they know?”

They might not from a private transaction but they are likely to track the auctions.

I’d speculate if it is a valuable car and you bank several hundred thousand dollars that might raise a red flag as well.

And remember with the elimination of the 1031 provision you cannot simply roll it over into other or less expensive cars and avoid the tax.

Food for thought.
Heal With Steel is offline   Reply With Quote