Collectable Cars In Your Portfolio

I've owned several Chevelles over the years. Restored them and mostly broke even. Still have a 66 Chevelle that I restored to be one of the nicest in the country. Won every possible National award it could get and then out to pasture. Sits in my garage now 99.9% of the time. I logged 100 miles on it since the restoration was completed in 2009....most of which is in and out of my enclosed trailer to/from the show field. I would probably sell it but DW won't let me.

I am a firm believer that anything that has "Collectible" in its name will never be one of my investments. That is not saying I would not own it, just not consider it an investment.

Every weekend in The Woodlands Texas Nifty Fifties has a couple hundred pre 1980 cars . And as they say every one is for sale . We looked at a 1928 Lincoln sedan 28K also a Cord , not the expensive one for 30K . Both cars were show quality.

Myself and some friends are there almost every Saturday night. One friend has a '56 Ford restomod and a '65 Corvair convertible.

Those are bluffs around Galena ... they only want you to think they're mountains. :hide:

(Blame Prairie Home Companion for that one)

:ROFLMAO: :cool:

A long time ago... seemed like a mountain to Victoria. As I recall... at the top of the "bluff?" there was a tower with 360 view. Just a beautiful place, and overlooking the Mississippi.

Like collecting antiques...the only way you get anything decent out of them is when you're in the business of selling them.

AJA , we need to say hi at the Nifty 50s some weekend . Were you at the brewery car show this Saturday ? We are members of the North Houston Mustang club . I am almost ashamed . We own a 2002 mustang basic V6 /5 speed . Everyone else has the GT's . A friend of ours bought a 2001 Roush last weekend . I have no clue what that cost

Car values only go up until the people who lusted over those vehicles when new stop buying or die off due to old age. Car values for non-exotic Pre-WWII vehicles (1930's and early 1940's) have dropped like rocks. Values for post-WWII non-exotic Cruisers (1955, '56, '57 Chevrolets and Fords for example) are already declining. Values for 1960 era muscle cars will be the next to see downward trending.

The super high priced exotics are not being purchased by individuals but by investment funds catering to the tastes of their subscribers. Who knows what will happen to these prices when the subscribers age out of their interest in cars and acquiring money.

AJA , we need to say hi at the Nifty 50s some weekend . Were you at the brewery car show this Saturday ? We are members of the North Houston Mustang club . I am almost ashamed . We own a 2002 mustang basic V6 /5 speed . Everyone else has the GT's . A friend of ours bought a 2001 Roush last weekend . I have no clue what that cost

Yes, we should try to meet up and say Hi! I wasn't at the brewery car show or the Nifty 50's one last week as we took DD and her husband out for a birthday dinner.

I have had 5 Mustangs over the years: a few Fox body convertibles (GT's) and a few sedans. Daughter currently has a 2014 Mustang Premium coupe now and I am off Mustangs unless the "right" Fox body 5.0 convertible shows up again. Otherwise, I drive a pure white 1998 Ford F150 Lariat Edition supercab pickup with 46,000 miles on it.

I'll drop you a message if I plan to go to the Nifty 50's meet this week and where I will be hanging out. :)

Those are bluffs around Galena ... they only want you to think they're mountains.

A long time ago... seemed like a mountain to Victoria.

Actually, they are unique in this country. My father grew up there and he told me that his walk to school was uphill in both directions.

Thanks for your inputs.
Think I'll start checking prices while visiting the shows, wait on a pull back that always happens at bad times. Give me an excuse to hit another couple shows and auctions this year.

I have a soft spot for BMWs from the 1980s -- I own an '87 325i cabriolet and an '83 633Csi coupe. Neither has what I would consider high-end collectible potential, but I think they're showing some appreciation in the market.

The E30 chassis M3, which is basically a mass-market racecar, has been going for crazy money for some time, often cracking the six-figure mark. The 6 series M models are more affordable.

The nice thing about BMWs of this era is that they had the state of the art in fueling, with computer-controlled port injection. It's quite efficient and reliable.

FYI from the linked website:
"Rally Rd. is a platform where blue-chip collector cars are turned into stocks. This asset class has outperformed gold, the S&P500, and New York City Real Estate since 2012."

https://rallyrd.com/

I don't have the funds or cohones to buy an expensive collectible ride. I think it would be fun to own a neat old car. If it simply didn't depreciate and I could use it some then sell it and break even, that would be a win IMO.

I also have a feeling that in 20-30 years many more common vintage cars will not increase in value. As autonomous vehicles hit the road, the experience of driving will diminish and people will be less interested in collecting old cars.

Right now, demand is probably higher with lots of "mature" folks who grew up dreaming of buying a certain car finding themselves with the means to buy one and fulfill that dream. As a couple generations fulfill this desire and age out of the hobby will demand remain?

One thing that will probably happen is overseas buyers will export them to other places. That will reduce supply here and help offset any lower demand.

My gut suggests it's a pretty risky asset long term.

I’m new to the forum but think you folks might want to know that profit made from collectible cars is not taxed at regular Capital Gains rate, rather it is taxed at a special rate which is basically like Ordinary Income.

This can make a huge difference when you sell an appreciated car.

Further, recent change in tax law has done away with 1031 exchanges for cars.

Of course, even though you are required to pay high capital gains on any profit, you are prohibited from subtracting any losses with collectible cars!

There appear to be no car lovers in Congress!

Now, I can already hear “How will they know?”

They might not from a private transaction but they are likely to track the auctions.

I’d speculate if it is a valuable car and you bank several hundred thousand dollars that might raise a red flag as well.

And remember with the elimination of the 1031 provision you cannot simply roll it over into other or less expensive cars and avoid the tax.

Food for thought.

In my portfolio no, but as a investment tool to make or not lose as much in vehicle purchases yes. I wont ever buy a new vehicle ever again. Yes it is nice to have a new car smell and all the bells and whistles. But my newish jeep g/c has been in the shop because of the fancy doo-dads failing. Also the depreciation right off the lot is ridiculous. I try and buy desirable cars or trucks that maintain their value or go up in value. Also insurance is cheaper for specialty cars as well.

... Got caught in Galena Il on a one lane road up a mountain...
Those are bluffs around Galena ... they only want you to think they're mountains. :hide:

(Blame Prairie Home Companion for that one)

:LOL: Only someone who lives in IL and FL would call those "mountains"!

Yes, some roads in Galena IL are steep relative to the rest of the flat farming land in IL. But "mountain" did make me laugh! ;)

-ERD50

I have a friend that goes to Vegas when they have those actions and buys vehicles. He has over 40 the last time I asked him. LOL he might not be truthful about tha number. Could be more then that. LOL

I’m new to the forum but think you folks might want to know that profit made from collectible cars is not taxed at regular Capital Gains rate, rather it is taxed at a special rate which is basically like Ordinary Income.

That's a very valuable point, and I imagine there are some here who might not know that.

But the car collector I know pays millions for each one, so I mentally put those people in a whole different category.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

How about telling us a bit about yourself here:

Hi, I am... - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

I finally sold my 1976 VW Rabbit in March of this year. It had been my daily driver for nearly 30 years. I only licensed and insured it as a collector vehicle a few months before I sold it. We had a lot of memories with that little car so it was emotional for us to let it go. But, I realized I didn't have the time or desire to maintain another vehicle and I wanted the garage space to work on other projects.

More photos and videos on my Rabbit page:
Life With My VW Rabbit - Anthony Watson

2017-10-06%20-%20Rabbit%20Restoration.jpg

I recently contacted the guy who bought it and he sent me a photo of the changes he has made so far. It broke my heart to see what happened to my baby... :)

Attachments

• 2018-07-25 - 1976 Rabbit as altered by Ryan Hall 1.jpg
    2018-07-25 - 1976 Rabbit as altered by Ryan Hall 1.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 32
I have 6 old vehicles that can be considered collectible (1937, 1938, 1938, 1949, 1952, 1968). None are huge value cars, but they are also far from $1000 beaters. I don't consider any of them investments or include any value of the vehicles in a net worth amount. They are my hobby and I get enjoyment driving them. Yes they do go up in value generally, especially over time. Kind of like the stock market, the collectible car market gets hot and cold, they tend to follow together. When people feel good about stocks and money, they also feel good about buying collectible vehicles.

Driving any of my old vehicles makes me happy, get numerous thumbs up from people when driving them, and unlike some hobby activities mine actually make me money if I sell. It's always easier to buy than to sell.

The biggest issue with a collectible vehicle as an investment is being a non-liquid asset. It may be hard to sell and get your money. Combine with the cyclic market and it should only be part of a speculative risk portion if you do invest instead of just buying to own and enjoy driving.

People see big money paid at auctions but neglect the fees which are 8% seller /10% buyer and $600 just for the privilege to bid at Barrett Jackson. That makes stock commissions look tiny.

I am the original owner of a 1997 Porsche 993 C4S with approximately 15,000 miles. Porsche was kind enough to make the 993 the last of the air cooled 911s so 993 values have been increasing for quite sometime.

At this point the car is worth considerably more than my original purchase price. I suspect if I crunched the numbers the cost to own (insurance, maintenance, cost of capital) would make my return 0%. But it also means I’ve own the car for 21 years for free and could get back my original investment.

Make of that what you will...

It's not surprising that folks on this forum are skeptical of classic cars as an investment. The inherent risk and carrying costs make them far less preferable than mutual funds. However, they are also a lot more fun than mutual funds, so it is not unreasonable to allocate a (very) small portion of your portfolio to a classic car, provided you follow a few rules.

- Don't do this for the sake of an investment as a primary goal. If you like cars, and would be buying a sports car, old truck, or other non-necessary transportation anyway, there are ways of directing your money into something that stands a chance of making you some money rather than just burning it up as a hobby. I bought a brand new Toyota MR2 Spyder in for $25K in 2002, the same year a friend bought a 1985 Ferrari Mondial for $22k. A couple years later, I sold my MR2 for $17.5k, and he sold his Ferrari for $22k. He paid $3k for maintenance and repairs, while I paid $7.5k in depreciation. That convinced me I could approach the hobby differently.

- Look for cars at the bottom of their depreciation curve. Generally speaking, new cars lose value every year until about 15 years or so. Then certain isolated examples start to rise again.

- Buy something you like. This is an illiquid investment, so you need to be able to weather market fluctutations and hold onto a car that may be relatively depressed in the classic market for a few years.

- You're much better off buying something with a highly recognizable name. Everyone knows Corvette, Mustang, Porsche, Jeep, etc., so your eventual selling market expands to the general population who "always wanted one of those", whereas a Lancia, Studebaker, etc. will generally limit you to the specific enthusiast market.

- If you have an opportunity to buy a limited production version of a model, go for it!

- You make money on the purchase. The lower your bar of entry, the higher your eventual profit.

- Compromise in certain areas. You may love yellow Ferraris and green Porsches, but a red Ferrari and a silver Porsche will sell for the right price a lot faster.

Now, do note that this info is coming from someone who has read car magazines, websites, etc. daily for the past 35 years. This is deep hobby and a passion for me, and I've admittedly only recently learned how to be more strategic in my purchases, which has yielded much better results when I sell than in the past. I don't consider what I do "investing" per se, so much as mitigating losses on an expensive hobby. If I wind up actually making money, I'm happily surprised. In most cases, it winds up being a push...but that means I was the custodian of a classic Porsche, Ferrari, Vespa, etc. for little to nothing for several years.

Again, I certain don't expect the LBYM crowd (of which I am admittedly not a member) to embrace any of this. I suspect my indulgences may have been influenced by my father, who was a lifelong car enthusiast, but always said, "I don't need that" when faced the decision of whether to actually pull the trigger on a sports car. "Not for me, not today, maybe one day." I see in retrospect that had he actually bought the Triumph Spitfire he lusted after, the several thousand dollars would have had minimal impact on his current eight figure portfolio...but who know? Maybe he feared it would have been a gateway drug...

I bought a 1967 Jaguar E-type roadster when I was 24 years old for $10k. I drove it for 4-5 years and then life required me to garage it. I just retired 8 months ago at 58 and my retirement project is doing a complete nuts and bolts restoration of that same car that has been sitting in my garage for the last 30ish years.
Do I count it as part of my portfolio? Heck yes! Since I am working closely with a professional Jaguar/Ferrari restoration mentor, the car could be worth $150-250k. I will be investing about $60k plus my labor (I'm free). :)
Once complete, we plan to take it to a number of Jaguar Concours judged shows to get the car a good reputation as being restored properly to original.
If the car economy collapses, will it kill my retirement? No, but it will put a dent in it. I am using the project as a money making venture, but also as a fun way to keep myself busy doing something I really enjoy, and then, once complete, it will be a fun adventure for my wife and I taking it to shows. Hopefully, we will end up smiling as a collector hands us a check for an amount that makes us happy!

Attachments

• DCP_0941.jpg
    DCP_0941.jpg
    356.4 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom