Collecting Social Security at age 62 is the best decision, here is why:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over a potential 40 years into the future all I can do is leave a big buffer and have a plan that could withstand a 23% or so cut. It doesn't seem prudent not to count on one because that is the default course we are on currently with SS.

Yep, I agree with that. Whether they hit everyone with the same percentage decrease or make it progressive with high earners receiving a bigger cut than low earners ( preventing impoverished Granny Smith from taking the same percentage cut as Bill Gates and Warren Buffet), all we can do is assume some cut is coming and plan accordingly.

Most high earners won't miss a few kilobucks very much. I doubt the gov't will reduce the benefits of truly low (below poverty level) earners. But it'll be interesting for the folks in the middle.

Just curious joeea, you say "It will be across-the-board, if the current rules stand."

While I think that is the most likely outcome is there a source that definitively states that cuts would be across the board?

Sure, I'll see if I can find a source.

I remember hearing it on a podcast this summer, but I can't remember which one.

Starting my career in the mid 80s, when there was panic talk about SS funding, was a huge factor in getting me to save like a maniac. I assumed I'd get very little of it. So, I guess I'm ready.

Thanks for the interesting discussion. :flowers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom