Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2018, 08:33 AM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

Go to Wal-mart the day before thanksgiving and look at the poor cashiers as they deal with grouchy customers and huge lines while making barely above poverty.

Now consider that you are retired (on $1.2m or whatever) and don't have to work like that.

Comfortable or Wealthy....seriously?
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree, I for one am just happy to be off the hamster wheel. No need to compare myself with anyone else. Its like some being bored in retirement? To me, everyday is Saturday........
Old 11-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
No >>> what ranges low end to high are they in?
Here's something with bars --
https://dqydj.com/net-worth-brackets...s-one-percent/
I believe the numbers rise as a power-law at the high tail, very roughly 0.1% >50M, 0.01%>250M, and 0.001%>1.25B.
dunkelblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:18 PM   #124
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
The last time that gasoline averaged 20 cents a gallon was in 1942...........
Min. wage was about .30 cents an hour. lol lol
You don’t remember the “price wars” on gas in Texas back in the 60’s.... the gas was about 19-20 cents a gallon in the best case.... otherwise it was hovering around 24-27 cents a gallon.
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
You don’t remember the “price wars” on gas in Texas back in the 60’s.... the gas was about 19-20 cents a gallon in the best case.... otherwise it was hovering around 24-27 cents a gallon.
I can remember paying just over 30 cents in the 60's, but we got wine glasses as a bonus (probably had to save stamps or coupons). I still have them.

Bonus 2: Watching Mad Men, there was a scene in Megan's apartment in LA. "My" wine glasses were sitting on her table.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I can remember paying just over 30 cents in the 60's, but we got wine glasses as a bonus (probably had to save stamps or coupons). I still have them.

Bonus 2: Watching Mad Men, there was a scene in Megan's apartment in LA. "My" wine glasses were sitting on her table.

I have the same entry mirror as the Jennings in The Americans, which is set in the 80s so maybe it is time for an update. I have tried to replace it before but DH likes it the way it is.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost there View Post
The last time that gasoline averaged 20 cents a gallon was in 1942...........
Min. wage was about .30 cents an hour. lol lol
In St. Louis, in the 1950's and 1960's, it was quite often cheaper than that due to "Gas Wars". Gas stations would try to offer their gasoline at lower prices than all other nearby stations, and then when one station lowered its price, so would the others. Ruthless competition! But great for gas prices. I remember seeing gas for 17 cents a gallon and I wasn't even born until 1948....

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:36 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkelblau View Post
Here's something with bars --
https://dqydj.com/net-worth-brackets...s-one-percent/
I believe the numbers rise as a power-law at the high tail, very roughly 0.1% >50M, 0.01%>250M, and 0.001%>1.25B.
This confirms that I am not wealthy. There are several millions of people in the US with my net worth.

Even at $10M and higher net worth level which I am not, there are 1.3M households. Lots of wealth in the US. There are about 126M households, so the $10M level is the 1%.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

It's all semantics, anyway.

Quote:
An individual who is considered wealthy, affluent, or rich is someone who has accumulated substantial wealth relative to others in their society or reference group. In economics, net worth refers to the value of assets owned minus the value of liabilities owed at a point in time.
What reference group are YOU in? Sounds like keeping up w/ the Joneseseses to me.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:54 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeahNo View Post
Have you checked out the bogleheads net worth spread sheet?
Looks like that has not been updated since 2015. Too many problems.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
This confirms that I am not wealthy. There are several millions of people in the US with my net worth.

Even at $10M and higher net worth level which I am not, there are 1.3M households. Lots of wealth in the US. There are about 126M households, so the $10M level is the 1%.

Yep, just a small fish in a big body of water. LOL But very comfortable and will never have to worry about money.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 06:02 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

A different view point but I always felt this picture helped put US wealth distribution in perspective.

Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 11:19 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstillson View Post
Go to Wal-mart the day before thanksgiving and look at the poor cashiers as they deal with grouchy customers and huge lines while making barely above poverty.

Now consider that you are retired (on $1.2m or whatever) and don't have to work like that.
Just last weekend, my wife and I were at a Walmart and I expressly mentioned to her how many elderly sales clerks were present and how lucky we were not to face that unhappy prospect in our joint future.
Old 11-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Just last weekend, my wife and I were at a Walmart and I expressly mentioned to her how many elderly sales clerks were present and how lucky we were not to face that unhappy prospect in our joint future.
That's when i realize, all the Bull___t we put up with over the years was not so bad compared to that. Hours scanning, bagging and putting up with frustrated shoppers who don't even take the time to say "hello." Standing on your aching feet and aching back while kids scream they didn't get the toys they wanted. Listening to a boss that tells you no day off you've been hoping for to watch your kids softball game and babysit your grand kids. Rushing to punch in before the 10 or 15 minute deadline that will get you in trouble.

Wow, I just went to a place that seems like hell.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
That's when i realize, all the Bull___t we put up with over the years was not so bad compared to that. Hours scanning, bagging and putting up with frustrated shoppers who don't even take the time to say "hello." Standing on your aching feet and aching back while kids scream they didn't get the toys they wanted. Listening to a boss that tells you no day off you've been hoping for to watch your kids softball game and babysit your grand kids. Rushing to punch in before the 10 or 15 minute deadline that will get you in trouble.

+1 think about it many times when checking out at Publix. I make sure there are no retirement references.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:24 AM   #136
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
I prefer being comfortably numb...
My favorite Pink Floyd song!!

I'm comfortable and wealthy by my standards.
Beststash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:33 AM   #137
Recycles dryer sheets

We are comfortable and grateful. Many of our neighbors are land rich but money poor and still work — very hard. We are so glad not to have to man a cash register, cook burgers, snow plow, load hay, climb 20 ft ladders, etc.
It is humbling to know that there are millions of people in the US who have more than we. I only hope that they are content and grateful, too.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post

+1

Earlier this week I went to one of the national home improvement megastores to pick up a few things. On my way in I ran into a friend who had purchased some large items. A store worker who had a limp and did not seem in the best shape was trying to help her load them into her truck. I stopped to help them get everything loaded.

While loading my friend and I had small talk about my retired life. After we finished, I went into the store with the worker who asked how old I was. He was just a year younger than me, and said "retired... that is something I'll never see". He also told me that the store was hiring for holiday work, and I'd be sure to get a job, in fact he would take me to his supervisor right now if I wanted. I asked him what type of work, and he said "doing exactly what you were doing out there".

I politely declined the offer. Encounters like these remind me to be content with what I have, and how fortunate I am to have choices within that contentment.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Don't forget, some just want out of the house and away from their dear spouse.

My friend works at one of the home improvement big boxes from 4 to 20 hours per week just for that. Every time I see him there, he seems cranky*. When I talk to him socially, he says he loves it. So, go figure.

* - admittedly, sometimes I tweak him a bit.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #140
Give me a forum ...

No doubt. I have a couple of friends like that. But in this case, this man was not in the best of health, I got a strong vibe that he was working out of necessity, and that he'd like someone like me working with him for those labor-intensive activities.

Tags
wealth