Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Pessimism is on our side.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

As long as W2R doesn't say Whee, we are safe.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #23

So, the supply of equities is decreasing, while the demand for them is increasing. Gee, I wonder what that could mean for their prices.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
So, the supply of equities is decreasing, while the demand for them is increasing. Gee, I wonder what that could mean for their prices.
It could lead to an increase in market participants on the supply side until we reach equilibrium. More companies might have an IPO if the valuations increase. Funny how markets work!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Lot's of screwy stuff in these articles. Maybe I'm missing something, but this quote from the Matthew Lynn article seems blatantly inaccurate:
Quote:
...2012 was yet another dismal year for stock markets around the world — not in the sense of their performance, which was just as mediocre as it has been for the last decade...
Markets in the US grew by double digits last year: including dividends the S&P increased by 16%. What's mediocre about that?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Lot's of screwy stuff in these articles. Maybe I'm missing something, but this quote from the Matthew Lynn article seems blatantly inaccurate:Markets in the US grew by double digits last year: including dividends the S&P increased by 16%. What's mediocre about that?
Simple, any facts contrary to the original thesis will be summarily dismissed.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Bill Gross runs bond funds. It's in his personal interest to see that more people sell stocks and put money into bond funds. I'd take the analysis a little more seriously if it were unbiased and didn't have a conflict of interest.

Funny how he doesn't talk about a bond bubble with pathetic yields across the curve.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
The coming few months should be interesting for chartists. The confluence of change in a great number of market factors promises more volatility than we've seen in some time.
If Bernancke backs off on interest rates, we may be looking at some major changes in Shadow Banking. This may not be all bad, but the bond market could become scary.
At the same time, the US is not alone in debt-driven assets. A good guess might be that there will not be a safe haven in international currency... particularly China. If this brings a degree of worldwide stability, the long term result could be good.
At the least, moderate to small increases in the Fed rate can stave off inflation, which is more of a threat to the economy and personal wealth than a drop in equities.
Watch the VIX for indications of a correction in the coming 6 to 9 months. Some prognosticators are looking for a new floor with a 20% drop.
Finding the right buy-sell point is going to be a challenge.
My opinion only... just reading between the lines.
It all depends on when the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

I bet everything gets better then...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It all depends on when the moon is in the seventh house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

I bet everything gets better then...
Definitely!
Quote:
The Bradley siderograph was developed in the 1940's by Donald Bradley to forecast the stock markets. Bradley assigned numerical values to certain planetary constellations for every day, and the sum is the siderograph. It was originally intended to predict the stock markets. 2012 Bradley Turn Dates
Bradley Turn Dates for 2013: