Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2014, 06:51 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think this is why I like the FIDO RIP calculator. It folds taxes into the calculations knowing what kind of accounts you're drawing from, what state your in, etc. You can then look at the detailed spreadsheet of costs, assets, taxes, minimum withdrawals and get a feel for the reasonableness of it all.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I think this is why I like the FIDO RIP calculator. It folds taxes into the calculations knowing what kind of accounts you're drawing from, what state your in, etc. You can then look at the detailed spreadsheet of costs, assets, taxes, minimum withdrawals and get a feel for the reasonableness of it all.
+1

You can also read the "methodology" accompanying RIP to understand how it estimates taxes (the tax section is 8 pgs long so, it's very detailed), and adjust accordingly if you choose.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:41 AM   #23

I have a question for the folks who treat taxes as a liability instead of an expense. Suppose you own $500k of individual stocks in a regular (not tax advantaged) account that pays a net dividend of 4% (of qualified dividends). For your net worth calculation, do you use the full $500k or do you use 85% of it? I know this account is different than having money in an IRA, but aren't the dividends taxed in a similar way a withdrawal from an IRA would be? And if you sold some of the stocks, wouldn't you pay taxes on the capital gains (although it would not be counted as ordinary income)? I feel like I'm missing something. Thanks.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:27 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I normally count Roth @100%, 401k @75%, taxable @90%, stock options @50% (and at a relatively low price, not current one usually). I use these factors for both AA and NW calculations.
smjsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:33 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You people need to find a worthwhile hobby...
Old 04-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think for modest portfolios like $1,000,000 you don't even need to worry about taxes, so treat both accounts the same.

Married couple, standard deduction 2 personal exemptions. $10,000 from portfolio in dividends, $15,000 in interest, $15,000 in LTCG. Federal tax paid $0, Florida state tax paid $0.
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
You people need to find a worthwhile hobby...

Says the guy who averages ~8 posts/day for 12 years straight.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

A retired couple with the extra deduction at 65 can pull around 35k in retirement money and pay under 1500 bucks in tax on it.
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
My spreadsheet projections include a mini tax return that computes taxable income and federal and state taxes so my taxes are in my expenses for planning purposes.
What a nice idea. I never thought of including that in my spreadsheets, but now I will. Thanks for the suggestion!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
How accurate is the FIDO RIP calculator? If I were to model taxes in depth, I'd be tempted to go all the way and use a full version of turbotax.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:23 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My spreadsheet projections include a mini tax return that computes taxable income and federal and state taxes so my taxes are in my expenses for planning purposes.
Same way I've been doing my calculations. Taxes are a product of how much money comes from where. And that is determined by how much moola I need to support the lifestyle we wish to maintain. Current spreadsheet choices are: Austerity (what we can get by on if everything goes to crap), Reduced (if things look like they might go to crap), Viable (just being a bit more frugal), NoChange (this is The Plan, and as the name implies will cover estimated expenses with minimal impact on our lifestyle), or Increased (if a sum of money dropped into our laps, or if we know when and where the asteroid will fall). Tax liability is then calculated after income related HI costs are estimated, allowing for the burn rate on savings to be determined. So taxes are treated as an expense, but it is one that is dependent on the sum of all other expenses, income sources, and of course, the fluid nature of tax policy.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
I have a question for the folks who treat taxes as a liability instead of an expense. Suppose you own $500k of individual stocks in a regular (not tax advantaged) account that pays a net dividend of 4% (of qualified dividends). For your net worth calculation, do you use the full $500k or do you use 85% of it? I know this account is different than having money in an IRA, but aren't the dividends taxed in a similar way a withdrawal from an IRA would be? And if you sold some of the stocks, wouldn't you pay taxes on the capital gains (although it would not be counted as ordinary income)? I feel like I'm missing something. Thanks.
Full $500K. More explanation in the thread you started.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 04:30 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I also have a skeleton tax return which is part of my overall spreadsheet which does my annual budget and short-term projections. It is good for the more routine income types (monthly and quarterly dividends) but it is mostly guesswork for the more erratic and irregular income types (cap gain distributions). Still, it gets me close which is fine.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #34

Quote:
Good thread. A question for Animorph - does this mean that when you calculate your net worth, you only count 85% of the value of your IRA since you expect to pay 15% taxes when you withdrawal? Makes sense, I just want to make sure I understand.
Yes, 15% taxes. Makes Roth conversions in particular look a little better from a NW perspective.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:45 PM   #35

Quote:
I use (15% plus state tax) of (stock sales - basis) for tax liability, with sort of an average share cost basis for everything. But with a high enough cost basis this level of accuracy for NW may be overkill.

My main goal was to at least not make it look like Roth conversions were a huge expensive drag on NW withdrawal ratio. Otherwise, you move $100k from an IRA to a Roth and pay 15k+taxes. You're suddenly $15k "poorer" and just "spent" $15k of your year's portfolio withdrawal. This way you end up removing $85k of NW value from the IRA, paying $15k in taxes from the IRA tax liability excluded from NW, and putting the $85K + $15k of formerly taxable money into the Roth. That looks much more reasonable.

Handling taxes on portfolio withdrawals can be very difficult. It's not surprising that free calculators avoid the tax details. I have a fairly detailed tax calc for my projections. Tracking stock basis is one big problem. Another is that you generally have to iterate into a solution to arrive at a specified income net of taxes, unless you use really simple marginal rates.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:20 AM   #36
Gone but not forgotten

Tax deferred doesn't mean that you have to pay taxes on that amount.
For the first 9 years of our retirement, we used our taxed savings, so no state or federal taxes. On receiving SS, our withdrawal rates from tax deferred acounts were below the minimum taxable amount, as they were when we started taking RMD @ 70 1/2. So we're probably not good tax-paying citizens.

Retiring debt free certainly helped. As our needs and expenditures balance out, and the current tax laws recognize a reasonable living standard, we have unintentionally not had to pay those taxes for 24 years.

On behalf of DW and imoldernu, a sincere thanks to those of you who are helping us through our happy retirement.

BTW... unexpectedly... despite our plan to spend down our net worth during the final years, our ultra conservative IBond and FDIC insured investments have helped maintain if not increase our net worth.

Lest anyone envy this status, I'm sure DW and I would consider any reasonable offers to trade places, and put us back into the tax paying column.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animorph View Post
I use (15% plus state tax) of (stock sales - basis) for tax liability, with sort of an average share cost basis for everything. But with a high enough cost basis this level of accuracy for NW may be overkill.

My main goal was to at least not make it look like Roth conversions were a huge expensive drag on NW withdrawal ratio. Otherwise, you move $100k from an IRA to a Roth and pay 15k+taxes. You're suddenly $15k "poorer" and just "spent" $15k of your year's portfolio withdrawal. This way you end up removing $85k of NW value from the IRA, paying $15k in taxes from the IRA tax liability excluded from NW, and putting the $85K + $15k of formerly taxable money into the Roth. That looks much more reasonable.

Handling taxes on portfolio withdrawals can be very difficult. It's not surprising that free calculators avoid the tax details. I have a fairly detailed tax calc for my projections. Tracking stock basis is one big problem. Another is that you generally have to iterate into a solution to arrive at a specified income net of taxes, unless you use really simple marginal rates.
Thanks for the explanation. I understand much better now.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
How accurate is the FIDO RIP calculator? If I were to model taxes in depth, I'd be tempted to go all the way and use a full version of turbotax.
The basis and assumptions seem reasonable to me, and I expect the math is accurate. I think a better question is, "How well do the RIP assumptions model my personal situation?" I suggest you read the 'Methodology' document to decide if it's appropriate for you.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcgang View Post
....... With the ever changing IRS, however, an accurate estimation of the tax liability will be just an educated guess, at best.....
Agreed.
But given the huge & ever increasing national debt, and politicians' inability to control future spending, it is difficult to see how tax liabilities generally will do anything but increase in the future.
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
For your net worth calculation, do you use the full $500k or do you use 85% of it?
The funny thing is that I don't believe I have ever calculated NW for any reason other than to respond to a Q here or @ Bogleheads. Tax is an expense for me.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote