Compulsive Saving and ER

Another approach is spend on anything that gets you a skill that you would like to have. Singing, dancing, music instrument, surfing, snow-boarding, a foreign language. While I can't really remember the "stuff" I had years ago, the skills I acquired are part of me. And some of these things get harder to learn every passing year.

Great advice, mikey!

When I was younger, I loved buying clothes, shoes, and books, but now I enjoy learning and doing more than shopping and having, although I do buy a few books occasionally. Possessions stress me out because of their related activities--mending, dusting, repair, maintenance, storing and sorting, etc.

There was one thread on this forum--about 100 things to do before one dies--that inspired me to make up my list, but I only got to about 45. I do remember that a lot of my entries were about learning and building skills. The approach of the new year provides good occasion to review my list.

Great advice, mikey!

When I was younger, I loved buying clothes, shoes, and books, but now I enjoy learning and doing more than shopping and having, although I do buy a few books occasionally. Possessions stress me out because of their related activities--mending, dusting, repair, maintenance, storing and sorting, etc.

Yes, possessions have a tendency to wear out, often at the most inopportune time. I try to live a minimalist lifestyle, although certain trappings are necessary to be a part of various social circles. As I get older, it seems like there is a great deal of entertaining at each other's houses, at least until the kids arrive, and then it's babysitter time for an adult night out (which come few and far between according to those in-the-know). To do such entertaining, you will need "presentable" furniture, as well as various knick-knacks that people can ooh-and-ahh over when visiting. Likewise, a nice selection of booze is also required.

There was one thread on this forum--about 100 things to do before one dies--that inspired me to make up my list, but I only got to about 45. I do remember that a lot of my entries were about learning and building skills. The approach of the new year provides good occasion to review my list.

I need to sit down and make such a list. At one point in time, I had drafted a "dreams list", as well as a "goals list" that laid out concrete steps towards achieving such dreams. Unfortunately, reality had a tendency to interfere one too many times with those dreams, and although I still would like to achieve them, they no longer seem "practical" (i.e., a waste of money or the opportunity cost is too high). Then again, if I really cared about fulfilling such dreams, I wouldn't let a little thing like reality interfere with doing so. Sometimes I feel like a hipocrite. :(

Well, I am hangin' onto my dreams. I've been
blindsided repeatedly since I ERed, and some of the
things I expected to be doing now are gone forever
(or going). However, the big picture is still there.
I just hope I live long enough to achieve it, and if I do,
to enjoy it when I arrive.

JG

Well, I am hangin' onto my dreams. I've been
blindsided repeatedly since I ERed, and some of the
things I expected to be doing now are gone forever
(or going). However, the big picture is still there.
I just hope I live long enough to achieve it, and if I do,
to enjoy it when I arrive.

JG

That's good to hear. Sometimes others (in the form of family or friends) will tell you that having a certain dream isn't practical anymore, and more often than not, you'll believe them. However, whether or not you should achieve a particular dream isn't their decision to make -- it's yours. Nevertheless, it's difficult to shut out the naysayers, since they always cloak their pessimism (or jealousy) in the cloak of "wanting what's best for you".

This relates to compulsive saving in regards to spending your money on what's needed rather than what's wanted. There's always that little voice inside your head making that distinction. Even if you ignore it, the fact that it told you didn't need something takes the joy out of having bought it because you wanted it. :-/

Starting this coming year (January 2005) we're switching to the method of having a fixed percentage of each paycheck go directly to retirement savings and not worry about how we spend the rest.  
I saved 1/3 of each raise. That way, I got to enjoy them and still retired before the standard retirement age, although that was at 52 instead of the 50 as originally planned. Along the way, I managed to take one long and one short weekend vacation each year. Now I just take plan on one long and one short midweek each season saving for them out of my defined benefit pension ::)

I still try to save about 250 per month to cover them ... overspent this year b/c of all the remodeling and will need to trim something after 3 more years ... probably remodeling

Back
Top Bottom