Join Early Retirement Today

Computer Security
Old 07-15-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Computer Security

Yesterday, DF informed me of a nightmare situation that happened 2 weeks ago.

She bought a Mac Book Pro, added Microsoft office. She did not have LastPass and used various passwords that were easy to remember. She did not get Adblock so she got ad pop ups. She did not go into Privacy/security and limit downloads or make any download from an outside source impossible unless you approve it with a password.

While working on her new Mac Book, a white screen appeared with a man's voice saying her computer was compromised with a virus. An Apple support phone # appeared on the screen to call for assistance. She called the given number, gave the serial number as requested.

A day later, $2000 disappeared from her checking account. Several CC opened and gift voucher issued somehow. Her savings account was involved.

Obviously, this was not an Apple phone #. She called the hacker and gave the information they asked for. Did not give SS# or anything like that.

She had to completely shut down all accounts and open new ones. She now uses LastPass with complicated passwords. She set up security in her Apple. By the way, the real Apple support had to completely scan her computer to check for malware and viruses, there were none. E-mail a mess we did not talk about.

The bank covered her losses and CC also covered the charges that were not hers.

My takeaway from this, shut computer down immediately when anything weird happens. My Apple support told me that some time ago. Don't investigate, don't click anywhere, just shut down. If it won't shut down, unplug.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

Did she buy the computer from Apple, and the Office from Microsoft?

Did she download any other software from other sites?
Old 07-15-2018, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Did she buy the computer from Apple, and the Office from Microsoft?

Did she download any other software from other sites?
She bought everything from reputable sales departments. Apple from Apple store in mall and I think downloaded Microsoft office online.

I asked about downloading from another site, she said no. But in Apple security, you can set up a no download situation unless approved by you. She did not do this at first.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
But in Apple security, you can set up a no download situation unless approved by you. She did not do this at first.
The default is to only allow downloads from the App Store (Apple).
You can change that to also allow downloads from Apple-identified developers as well.

Any app downloaded from anywhere else requires special permission from you.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
The default is to only allow downloads from the App Store (Apple).
You can change that to also allow downloads from Apple-identified developers as well.

Any app downloaded from anywhere else requires special permission from you.
You're right, I am corrected as updates have to happen from approved sources.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday, DF informed me of a nightmare situation that happened 2 weeks ago.

She bought a Mac Book Pro, added Microsoft office.

The PC might have been "new to her" but was it really a new PC, or used, or refurbished and/or was it bought from a reputable dealer?
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Another dead giveaway is the lack of a secured path “https”. Almost any major company will likely have a secured website

I use 1Password as well with my main password being a 8 word passphrase.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Just having an unexpected voice from a live person pop onto my computer would kind of freak me out.

I've had times when a screen gets hijacked from scammers and had to to a hard shutdown turning the power off.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
The PC might have been "new to her" but was it really a new PC, or used, or refurbished and/or was it bought from a reputable dealer?
Brand new from Apple store in mall.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
While working on her new Mac Book, a white screen appeared with a man's voice saying her computer was compromised with a virus. An Apple support phone # appeared on the screen to call for assistance. She called the given number, gave the serial number as requested.
This has nothing to with the computer. Mac or Windows is not relevant.
Nothing to do with how it was purchased. New or refurbished is not relevant.
These random attacks occur all the time, based upon the website visited. The website was serving up the info so it was just running in the browser.
You just have to learn to ignore phishing attacks.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yup.

A voice telling you your computer is infected is like a call from the IRS telling you they filed a lawsuit.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
This has nothing to with the computer.
Chances are that you're right, but computers are sold all the time with pre-installed malware. That's why I asked where she bought it. It does happen.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yup.

A voice telling you your computer is infected is like a call from the IRS telling you they filed a lawsuit.
Wait.. They guy who contacted me said they were going to send the Sheriff to arrest me if I didn't send them a money-pack within 48 hours!! Are they going to sue me also?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
This has nothing to with the computer.
Nothing to do with how it was purchased.
These random attacks occur all the time, based upon the website visited.
You just have to learn to ignore phishing attacks.

+1. I've had similar things happen to me, on more than one computer. No voice, but I've had a big flashing message suddenly appear telling me the computer was infected with a virus, and to call this number for info. on how to get rid of it. NEVER, EVER take the bait and call the number if you get something like that. Just cancel out and don't visit that website again. Might be a good idea to shut down/reboot also. And never open email attachments that you are not expecting and do not recognize.......another way to get into trouble.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Thats a shame about the virus. I had the opposite experience. I received an email from a Nigerian Prince and he is sending me a bunch of money, so yeah, I got that going for me.
jjflyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a very annoying attack on my new MacBook. It started with a pop up wherein I accidentally installed a fake virus program, realized that I did wrong right away and uninstalled it. Then a fake pop up telling me my adobe flash player was out of date. Fell for that one. Then when I realized my computer was filled with malware I tried to contact apple support and got redirected to a fake apple support line. It has been a job deleting all the pieces of malware. The real apple support site was very helpful when I finally got to them. The malware was hijacking my system and sending me messages , trying to get me to pay for clean up, and redirecting me to sites. The real apple site does not charge .
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I was totally blindsided as I thought mac's were not susceptible to this kind of stuff. Be very careful what you click on and do not answer any pop ups. Close safari . Ignore any messages about virus or malware. Apple support can walk you thru the clean out of pieces of malware as can Malwarebytes.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:53 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAE View Post
+1. I've had similar things happen to me, on more than one computer. No voice, but I've had a big flashing message suddenly appear telling me the computer was infected with a virus, and to call this number for info. on how to get rid of it. NEVER, EVER take the bait and call the number if you get something like that. Just cancel out and don't visit that website again. Might be a good idea to shut down/reboot also. And never open email attachments that you are not expecting and do not recognize.......another way to get into trouble.
I have had these "your computer is infected, do not shut down, do call this number, etc...…" pop up once in a while. These things are often set up so you can't simply X out of it. If I don't want to do a cold shutdown, what I do is open or switch to Task Manager and shut down the browser directly. When I reopen the browser, I make sure I do let it restore the previously open browsers.

My 87-year-old dad had this happen to him. He got scared but had enough sense to call me first. I told him it's a scam and to just do a cold shutdown and restart. Trying to describe to him over the phone the Task Manager and shutting down the browser through would be too tough.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:18 PM   #19

Instead of managing this at a tactical level by trying to manage home computer security, I would advise my friend instead to take a strategic tact and institute Credit Freezes at all 3 credit bureaus.

Yes you will have to pay for these and yes, the credit bureaus will try to instead set you up with some other type of product that they will claim is better, but I wouldn't fall for it.

Would also be wise for friend not to access retirement/brokerage/mutual fund accounts from a home pc also. Although consumers of bank accounts and CC accounts have Federal protections if funds are lost, I am not sure that the former types of accounts have the same level of protection.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:01 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
Yes you will have to pay for these and yes, the credit bureaus will try to instead set you up with some other type of product that they will claim is better, but I wouldn't fall for it.

-gauss
Starting in September, credit freezes will be free.
https://money.cnn.com/2018/05/22/pf/...eze/index.html
retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote