Conclusion to Kink in the Old Retirement Plan

akck

Full time employment: Posting here.
Here's the synopsis to my original thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/kink-in-the-old-retirement-plan-61170.html

And update:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/update-to-kink-in-the-old-retirement-plan-68714.html

1-3/4 years ago, my boss retired and I contemplated extending my retirement out another 3-4 years by applying for the job. I didn't get it, so instead, they hired someone who just wanted to be a figurehead instead. The B.S. bucket overflowed with them giving me some of the boss's duties. I contemplated quiting in July, but figured after September would be the least painful. I planned on giving 2 weeks notice, but with all the people who have left, they want me to help hire and train replacements.

Conclusion:

Today, I turned in my notice that I'm leaving at the end of the month. I also opted out of hiring any replacements. All told, 10 people will have left this division this year, out of 12 positions under this boss. Counting mine, 6 positions will be vacant if they don't fill any this month. Any reasonable person would realize they have a problem. These supervisors can't see past their noses.

So, I'll be exploring my options next year, retirement being the only one under consideration. :dance: So on to the more important question, am I a member of the Class of 2013 or the Class of 2014? Or do those who quit on 12/31 get to be members of both?

What was their reaction to your resignation?

Congrats!

Class of 2013 I think since as of 1/1/14 you are unemployed. Congratulations!!!

It's hard to believe that they don't recognize that they have a problem (and your new boss is the prime candidate).

The class I belonged to was more complicated in that my last day of work was near the end of one year but my last day on payroll was in the next year (I was on holiday and vacation in between). I went with last day of work.

What was their reaction to your resignation?

Congrats!

Thanks!

His reaction was, "Really!" That was it. I then said I wouldn't be participating in any interviewing for the open positions, which he asked about if I had anything to contribute. To which I said I wouldn't be responsible for bringing someone in with no training.

I cc'd his boss and HR with an email, to which he responded, "Sorry to hear that." There was also a "Good luck in your future endeavors," line. The copy to HR was just to make sure they received it timely.

I was going to email all my close coworkers in the division, but that proved to be an easy task as there is only one left. :D I did text some of the ones who left. So, over the next few weeks, I'll let all my business contacts know I'm leaving, and as a courtesy, give them my boss's contact information. Seeing as it takes them months to replace open positions, I don't think there will anyone else to contact.

There will probably be a couple of meetings about what I do that they have no idea. I don't expect any drama to come from them, other than it will be my boss's boss doing the talking. Most past meetings seem to be between the top boss and me with little to no input from my boss.

Depends on the date you pop the Champaign cork. Congratulations!:dance:

Thanks!

Hmmm... We usually pop the cork on New Year's Day. I don't know if we'll do it early this time. :rolleyes:

Class of 2013 I think since as of 1/1/14 you are unemployed. Congratulations!!!

It's hard to believe that they don't recognize that they have a problem (and your new boss is the prime candidate).

The class I belonged to was more complicated in that my last day of work was near the end of one year but my last day on payroll was in the next year (I was on holiday and vacation in between). I went with last day of work.

Thanks! This is probably the only day that those choosing it will need to answer, did I retire one year earlier or one year later. :D Oh well, I'll likely pick the year that best suits the situation. :LOL:

I think they practice Management 101. If you don't recognize a problem, it doesn't exist. Oh, they'll spend time justifying the turnover for other reasons, some true, some not. But they'll never let anyone ask the right question that will give them the one common factor. I'm happy to say it's not my problem any more and the coworkers I care about have either resigned, transferred, or are insulated by a couple of layers.

Do you expect to have an exit interview with HR?

Do you expect to have an exit interview with HR?

I believe they have you do the exit interview with your supervisor. It definitely won't happen if that's the case.

If 1/1/14 is a paid holiday, I would retire on 1/2/14 and take PTO on it.

If 1/1/14 is a paid holiday, I would retire on 1/2/14 and take PTO on it.

Yes, but then my pension wouldn't start until the end of February, so it's not worth it in more than one way.

Congratulations seems to be all that remains to be said; so...Congratulations!

Congratulations! I wish you all the best and I'm sure you'll enjoy. :clap:

We seem to be on similar paths, except I left the BS a few months ago to work a year or possibly two at a different company. Unfortunately I am not sure I will last a year!! Lots of things have happened in my life this year related to spouse's job and elderly parents, so my future is uncertain other than knowing I will move by mid 2014.

Life is funny. I now have a great boss who has offered to let me work remotely when I move, but I have no interest in working for much longer. Retirement beckons. Who would have thought?

One thing is sure, you never know!

Thanks all. Yes, it seems that everything worked out to fit my original plan, less two weeks. The full BS bucket just makes it easier to leave. Curious thing is my boss hasn't talked to me since I gave him the letter. I've actually had more communication with his boss about the transition. I thought about calling his boss on it, but why ruin a good thing.

Thanks!

His reaction was, "Really!" That was it. I then said I wouldn't be participating in any interviewing for the open positions, which he asked about if I had anything to contribute. To which I said I wouldn't be responsible for bringing someone in with no training.

I cc'd his boss and HR with an email, to which he responded, "Sorry to hear that." There was also a "Good luck in your future endeavors," line. The copy to HR was just to make sure they received it timely.

I was going to email all my close coworkers in the division, but that proved to be an easy task as there is only one left. :D I did text some of the ones who left. So, over the next few weeks, I'll let all my business contacts know I'm leaving, and as a courtesy, give them my boss's contact information. Seeing as it takes them months to replace open positions, I don't think there will anyone else to contact.

There will probably be a couple of meetings about what I do that they have no idea. I don't expect any drama to come from them, other than it will be my boss's boss doing the talking. Most past meetings seem to be between the top boss and me with little to no input from my boss.

You don't need to tell us the name of the company, but if it's publicly traded could you at least give us the ticker symbol? :cool: It sounds like a great candidate to short.

I believe they have you do the exit interview with your supervisor. It definitely won't happen if that's the case.

Usually an exit interview is with someone from HR rather than your chain of command.

I can't believe you aren't more astute than this. "They" hired the current manager. Blaming him for the problems is admitting that they made a terrible mistake. Obviously, they see the problem resulting from the improving economy and stock market gains enticing their employees into either retiring or finding less challenging positions. These employees weren't willing to maintain the high standards of XYZ Corp. :)

I've seen similar situations in the past. It's amazing how fast an idiot manager can clean out a department. Those above never seem to get a clue.

As for an exit interview with HR, they work for the same people; and unless they smell a credible case for a law suit, they tend to check the boxes and follow the party line.

Last edited:
Thanks!

Hmmm... We usually pop the cork on New Year's Day. I don't know if we'll do it early this time. :rolleyes:
My BIL pops a champagne cork every time he loses a job. For awhile I thought I was going to have to join AA. :D

In keeping with tradition, I have a bottle chilling now but I'm not sure it will be used before New Year's Eve.

You don't need to tell us the name of the company, but if it's publicly traded could you at least give us the ticker symbol? :cool: It sounds like a great candidate to short.

Sorry, we'd all be rich if we could short government. :D

Usually an exit interview is with someone from HR rather than your chain of command.

According to the exit interview form, the department director is to conduct the interview, unless you report directly to them. That would be my boss's boss. It will depend on how I feel that day, if I'm ever offered to do one, but he created the mess, so I don't think he's interested in finding the answer..

I can't believe you aren't more astute than this. "They" hired the current manager. Blaming him for the problems is admitting that they made a terrible mistake. Obviously, they see the problem resulting from the improving economy and stock market gains enticing their employees into either retiring or finding less challenging positions. These employees weren't willing to maintain the high standards of XYZ Corp. :)

I've seen similar situations in the past. It's amazing how fast an idiot manager can clean out a department. Those above never seem to get a clue.

As for an exit interview with HR, they work for the same people; and unless they smell a credible case for a law suit, they tend to check the boxes and follow the party line.
You are a cynical bastard! :D Are you sure you are not a contractor?

I remember the 'Drag-up parties' under the tree in back of my old company on Friday nights after that weeks' lay-off. Beer off the back of a pick-up.

We use Prosecco instead of champagne these days. :)

Cheers from Iran's target in the Caspian.

el Gitano

And we have a big winner here!!!!!

My boss was his first hire. The two people above me retired about the same time last year. I've told coworkers that the new department head would never do anything because it would mean he made a big mistake. Instead, he's accommodating my boss by giving his tasks to others and taking control of things my boss should be doing.

And yes, every person leaving was explained away. Three retired, three transferred, one didn't work out and two just moved on. They'll likely add me to the retired group, but I have not indicated to them I'm retiring. I'm just exploring my "options." HR will eventually know because they have an exit checklist and need to report to the pension fund. While I do like the people in HR, they know who they work for and will tow to the management line.

And we have a big winner here!!!!!

And yes, every person leaving was explained away. Three retired, three transferred, one didn't work out and two just moved on. They'll likely add me to the retired group, but I have not indicated to them I'm retiring. I'm just exploring my "options." HR will eventually know because they have an exit checklist and need to report to the pension fund. While I do like the people in HR, they know who they work for and will tow to the management line.

Wow. This just like what I left. I guess it's more common than I realized. My incompetent boss told others that I left for medical reasons. Huh? :facepalm: Maybe that means to protect my mental health? :LOL: And 4 others have left in less than six months but no one who hired him cares--they would have to admit they hired a "mistake"!!!

Wow. This just like what I left. I guess it's more common than I realized. My incompetent boss told others that I left for medical reasons. Huh? :facepalm: Maybe that means to protect my mental health? :LOL: And 4 others have left in less than six months but no one who hired him cares--they would have to admit they hired a "mistake"!!!

I see a promotion in my boss's future. One of the most used ways to deal with a mistake is to promote them to an advisory position off to the side. I won't be surprised when he moves into the newly created position of Assistant Director sometime next year. :facepalm: :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom