Join Early Retirement Today

Condo administration cost (HOA dues)?
Old 06-24-2022, 03:23 PM   #1

Condo administration cost (HOA dues)?

We are having a tough time getting people to volunteer for the HOA board, and it looks as if we may have to hire a professional management company instead of our DIY approach.

If so, it will obviously raise our monthly dues, so I would appreciate hearing with others pay. If it's enough, it may induce some to decide volunteering would be in their best interests

If you have a professional management firm for your HOA, can you tell me about how much they cost per homeowner?

It will be some percentage of your monthly payment, and you may not have an exact budget breakdown that shows it, but a ballpark figure would be great.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2022, 03:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Currently we pay $450 for the year and we have a full time manager. Our yearly budget is about $150,000. The HOA covers mostly common/property, security not anything related to the individual homes.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I bet some of the management co's would be glad to give you some quotes or maybe just ball park info. I'd look at their web sites. Or Real Estate agents might be able to connect you to some.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 03:57 PM   #4
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

If you have a professional management firm for your HOA, can you tell me about how much they cost per homeowner?
Ours come out to $639 per address for the year for 2021
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

$ 430 per month. 400+ Townhouses. Already tossed out yearly detailed budget. If I can find. Will post, what are HOA, pays for the management services. San Francisco, Bay Area, California. ($ 430/month, covers all expenses).
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:26 PM   #6

I appreciate people trying to answer, but I wasn't clear enough in my question.

Your monthly payment is irrelevant, since the needs of each community are different. What I'm looking for is what part of your monthly payment goes to the management company. Completely independent of all the services they provide, such as landscaping, lawn mowing, snow removal, pool maintenance, etc., etc.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Besides the issue of paying for the professional management. Changing to one often means (to my cynical mind) that the costs for landscaping, lawn mowing, snow removal, pool maintenance, etc., etc. ALL rise ~10% as a hidden cost due to a sudden need to change to the companies the management "prefers".
Old 06-24-2022, 05:45 PM   #8

Quote:

Your monthly payment is irrelevant, since the needs of each community are different. What I'm looking for is what part of your monthly payment goes to the management company. Completely independent of all the services they provide, such as landscaping, lawn mowing, snow removal, pool maintenance, etc., etc.
We have an active board, but also a management company to handle the financial details. About 6.5% of our fees go to the management company as a direct fee ($22k out of $330k total expenses).

I see that as pretty reasonable to make sure we are doing everything above board.

The board is active selecting contractors, etc. I don't see the management company getting a bite of that apple.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:57 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...If you have a professional management firm for your HOA, can you tell me about how much they cost per homeowner. ...
Ours is $162/door/year... but that is only for accounting, billing, collections, financial reporting, overall management, mailings, managing elections, corporate records, etc. About 4.8% of our total budget.

Our largest costs are insurance, cable tv, lawn maintenance/landscaping, contract maintenance (our dedicated maintenance guy), repairs and maintenance, tree trimming and then management fees.

It all depends on what you have them do and what other subcontractors that you use.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 06:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Ours is $162/door/year... but that is only for accounting, billing, collections, financial reporting, overall management, mailings, managing elections, corporate records, etc. About 4.8% of our total budget.

Our largest costs are insurance, cable tv, lawn maintenance/landscaping, contract maintenance (our dedicated maintenance guy), repairs and maintenance, tree trimming and then management fees.

It all depends on what you have them do and what other subcontractors that you use.
Follow-up to my earlier comment. Ours are much like pb4uski. 6.5% is about $175/unit/year, and includes all he describes above.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:25 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live in a central Florida 55+ golf community. The community has 623 homes that are charged the monthly fee of $185.00 or $2,220.00 per year. We have a management company that is on-site 3-4 days a week and manages about 60% of the HOA issues. (We have several resident volunteer committees that do the rest.)

We currently pay them $48,000.00 per year.
Old 06-24-2022, 06:39 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

When I lived in a condominium, we had an HOA that hired a condo management company. The HOA oversaw everything the management company did, and when it came to budgeting major repairs and additions, each resident voted on the issue. A condo management rep would be at each of our monthly meetings, and the minutes of each meeting were posted on bulletin boards around the condo. This arrangement worked well, and gave every owner a voice and insured that the management company was kept in check.

Parenthetically, I find it a little odd that so few of your residents are interested in having an HOA, because that is one of the advantages in purchasing a condo: Everyone gets a say in what goes on there.

Roy in New Mexico
rtroxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:39 PM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtroxel View Post
When I lived in a condominium, we had an HOA that hired a condo management company. The HOA oversaw everything the management company did, and when it came to budgeting major repairs and additions, each resident voted on the issue. A condo management rep would be at each of our monthly meetings, and the minutes of each meeting were posted on bulletin boards around the condo. This arrangement worked well, and gave every owner a voice and insured that the management company was kept in check.

Parenthetically, I find it a little odd that so few of your residents are interested in having an HOA, because that is one of the advantages in purchasing a condo: Everyone gets a say in what goes on there.

Roy in New Mexico

Ours is $14 per month per door with 184 doors that is paid to the Property Management Company plus out of pocket
EQMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:16 AM   #14

Many communities find it challenging to recruit board members even when they have a management company. Even if you hire a management company you still need people to serve on the board. But a management company may take much of the load off the board.

We pay our management company about $85 per door per month, about 10% of our total budget. This includes:

Billing and collections
Paying bills (after board approval)
Accounting
Managing elections
Financial reporting
Guiding the budgeting process
Handling most contacts from residents
Storing HOA records
Taking and writing up meeting minutes
All mailings
Dealing with vendors (soliciting bids and overseeing the work, though the board makes the selections)
Handling most interactions with residents
Mailings, postage, making copies
Most interacting with our banks
Maintaining our community website
Interacting with our attorneys when necessary

I second the previous comment about interviewing a couple of management companies to see what they can do for you and how much they would charge.

Edited to add: In addition to the quoted monthly fee, ask about the administrative expenses they will charge you for each month (postage, copies, providing reports, writing checks, etc.) My numbers above include these costs.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:32 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Our condo buildings have 150 units. We have a hoa board and pay the management company 2k/month plus the salary of a full time maintenance worker. We have difficulty recruiting people to join the board.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 05:37 AM   #16

Quote:

But if you're looking for how big a slice is, the actual pie is also going to be very different in every community. Anyways, here's mine:

Our total annual budget (no pool, snow, but other maintenance, security, irrigation, park, reserves, all in) is $754k. The management company is $207k of that. We have just over 700 homes, and paid $1061 each for 2022, so ~27% of that is the management.

And of course, if we didn't have that company, some of those costs would still exist, on us: Accounting, legal, postage, website, remittance processing, etc. So, you'd be removing some of that if you're doing it now. We have an unpaid board of residents, and the company.

(ETA, not condo, SFH, but similar situation).
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:09 AM   #17

I do not live in a condo - but I recalled that shortly before I retired, I e-filed a motion on behalf of one of my clients which had a management agreement as one of the exhibits, so I hunted that down.

The management fee for 2022, is 72k per annum, and based upon the number of units (less one for the live in super) comes out to $600 per unit, per annum.

The management company collects all HOA fees, a large portion goes into the operating account, out of which they pay the super, porters, outside vendors, utilities, insurance, taxes, take their fee, etc. They receive approval from the board for expenses over a certain dollar amount - except in the event of an emergency.
Old 06-25-2022, 07:00 AM   #18

I live in a small development of ~75 homes. No common areas so the only function of the HOA is to see that the CC&R's are followed and enforced. The management company doesn't do a whole lot, maybe drives around the neighborhood once a month for an inspection, holds quarterly meetings, and runs the architectural committee to approve changes. We pay only $150/year for our HOA dues, about $100 of that goes to the management company.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:11 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I lived in a swim/tennis community outside Atlanta. Our dues were about $450 a year, and we had a management company paying the bills, etc.

We had a clubhouse and pool complex that would cost about $1 million today to build. But our biggest expenses were the accrued costs of resurfacing 4 tennis courts every 2-3 years. Although relatively few residents played tennis, those courts ate the neighborhood's pocketbook alive.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:54 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Clark View Post
Many communities find it challenging to recruit board members even when they have a management company. Even if you hire a management company you still need people to serve on the board. But a management company may take much of the load off the board.

We pay our management company about $85 per door per month, about 10% of our total budget. This includes:

Billing and collections
Paying bills (after board approval)
Accounting
Managing elections
Financial reporting
Guiding the budgeting process
Handling most contacts from residents
Storing HOA records
Taking and writing up meeting minutes
All mailings
Dealing with vendors (soliciting bids and overseeing the work, though the board makes the selections)
Handling most interactions with residents
Mailings, postage, making copies
Most interacting with our banks
Maintaining our community website
Interacting with our attorneys when necessary

I second the previous comment about interviewing a couple of management companies to see what they can do for you and how much they would charge.

Edited to add: In addition to the quoted monthly fee, ask about the administrative expenses they will charge you for each month (postage, copies, providing reports, writing checks, etc.) My numbers above include these costs.

Ours is $220 a household a year. We get same basic service as above. We do have a Board
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote