Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Sarah, according to this, it seems like it would be based on the age of the beneficiary so the RMD would be different from the original owner's?
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/wha...ranonspousermd
Right. After the first year the beneficiaries age is used to determine the RMD.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Well, it depends. If you are one of a group of beneficiaries, you'll not be taking it under your own life expectancy, but under the oldest persons (sometimes). And for some of them, I've seen it accelerated through a court order, especially when there is some dispute as to ownership. It can get fairly complicated, and if at all possible, leave it to your spouse, which will allow them to simply put it in their own IRA accounts.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #63
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Well, it depends. If you are one of a group of beneficiaries, you'll not be taking it under your own life expectancy, but under the oldest persons (sometimes). And for some of them, I've seen it accelerated through a court order, especially when there is some dispute as to ownership. It can get fairly complicated, and if at all possible, leave it to your spouse, which will allow them to simply put it in their own IRA accounts.
Sometimes. If the inherited IRA is split and each beneficiary given their share in their own account, the following year each uses their own age for RMDs. Clear as mud.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB
Sometimes. If the inherited IRA is split and each beneficiary given their share in their own account, the following year each uses their own age for RMDs. Clear as mud.
And you wonder why I never venture to answer questions about this stuff!
Try explaining SIMPLE IRA eligibility sometimes, totally defies the imagination!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Hopefully Congress finds something else to worry about.......... Why mess with the beneficiaries of inherited IRAs? They'll get the money at some point. This sounds like another one of those dumb ideas where Uncle Sam wants their money now. Remember the old conversion from IRA to Roth in the late 90's, where you could spread the taxes over 4 years? Only 25% of ALL eligible people took "advantage" of that "special deal". How did that work out for ya, Uncle Sam?
Take that tax man....Right on Dude.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Did they consider community property states, like Wisconsin? The only way you can list someone other than your spouse as a primary beneficiary of an IRA is if they sign a form saying they're ok with that. Anyone think that might be a hard signature to get?

Typical Congress, again showing their lack of due diligence on financial matters that affect real people.......

I would say the majority of people in the US can't even do so-called "stretch IRAs" because they don't have enough other assets to afford retirement and give money to younger generations. What was the point again, to "raise" $4.5 billion a year when we are $15.4 TRILLION in the red? That's like looking for spare change on the ground to pay your $300,000 mortgage payment...........
You are killing me, Dude, I like your thinking.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Exactly the way my three sisters and I are using the Inherited IRA from my deceased brother.