Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2023, 10:57 PM   #281
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatmath View Post
Yep if it was not common the gov would not offer it - as their goal overall is to save money!

Wow! Where did the concept that the government's overall goal is to save money come from? I've seen no evidence of that.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2023, 11:42 AM   #282
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, now I see why we hate it so much when a new SS thread pops up!

Despite all of the round and round going on, there are some good points brought up (yes, it was you), if you can block out the extra noise.

The one thing that we can agree on is that there is no one size fits all solution.
Old 05-28-2023, 11:52 AM   #283
Full time employment: Posting here.

Everyone's situation is a bit different. Since subject to WEP (retired Fed) with only a few years covered by SS, my monthly benefit is quite small (around $1000). Although I don't need the $ due to a pension that more than covers expenses, I opted to start mine at 65 to coincide with medicare. The monthly SS benefit is added to the investment pile. I'm single with no need for longevity insurance (above the federal pension) and no desire to do Roth conversions.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:33 PM   #284
Full time employment: Posting here.

It doesn't really matter when you take SS for this reason alone.

You took it because at that moment, after careful research, you felt it was the best decision.

Time will tell if it was the optimum decision but if you live life like I do - no regrets - then it doesn't matter.

Life for me is much simpler without regret. It doesn't mean I don't learn from mistakes. I simply don't regret making whatever decision as I respect myself for making at the time what I believed was the best decision.

So it wasn't the best decision, oops, learn, accept whatever consequences, move on.

Life is way too short.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:36 PM   #285
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Wow! Where did the concept that the government's overall goal is to save money come from? I've seen no evidence of that.
I have only ever heard of the reason for it as a method to keep SS solvent longer. YMMV.
Closed Thread