Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Consumer Reports: Feb 2007 "Simplify Your Financial Life"
Old 01-12-2007, 09:36 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan
We have a 93 Explorer and a 95 BMW convertible. Both have less than 100k miles on them. Only extra expense has been brake jobs too often on the Explorer. We even got a new set of tires from the Firestone recall when there was only 10% tread left.
What do ya get mileage wise? 12mpg?? Uh a waste.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
Hey Masterblaster...CR seems to factor in safety quite a bit on their ratings, but I look at their numbers as being from the practical safe/economical/reliable standpoint and then look at one of the car enthusiast rags for the testosterone 'vroom vroom' stuff. When they agree or come close to each other, I know i've got a winner.
Haven't we already been through this once ??

Anyway, small (lower weight) cars are inherently more dangerous than larger cars - That's just physics. Airbags help, and crash testing helps determine safer cars too. But which car would you rather be in in the Excursion/Corolla collision. As I recall, Consumer Reports only uses crash test ratings to dfetermine safety

Check out the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (ie. real world) stats http://www.iihs.org/brochures/ictl/pdf/ictl_0906.pdf

And note that, for example, you are around 3 times more likely to be killed in a Corolla than a Grand Marquis. Both of these cars had pretty good crash test scores but the real-world experience with the cars suggests that they don't have similar real-world survivabilty experience.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
So for example, when evaluating a Corvette, they might say that it has nice acceleration but isn't as reliable as a Camry.

well duh.

We are currently driving our third Camry and third Corvette, I'd suggest that everyone get both.
CR rates the Corvette as one of their most unreliable cars, but also showed it as having about the highest satisfaction rating of anything thy've tested. Guess which number they publicize most?
I sometimes think the motto at CR is "Fun is Bad".
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
We are currently driving our third Camry and third Corvette, I'd suggest that everyone get both.
Good idea...........you can average the $$ of maintaining the Vette against the cents od owning the Camry...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:08 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You can't possibly appreciate a vette unless you've gone
130 mph or more. Same is probably true of any sports car,
they are simply a waste of $ at normal US speeds.
Taking a vette at 130+ mph around sweeping highway turns
makes it all worth it. Now that I'm more mature I wouldn't do that
of course
Tom
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Please watch that center line in that 130 mph sweeping curve. You are likely to drift wide and center punch a Harley with me on it.
CaptCurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote