Consumer Reports survey: Hybrids are most reliable vehicles

Liveliest and coolest feeling car I have ever driven, but keep sharing the theories.

Last edited:
Liveliest and coolest feeling car I have ever driven, but keep sharing the theories.

I wasn’t trying to imply that an EV isn’t as cool as an ICE vehicle, just why “some people” might think so. Glad you like yours!

+1

I purchased a one-year old hybrid earlier this year and my only issue has been with the fuel tank and gauge that wouldn't indicate full when it should have. Toyota replaced the tank, sending and receiving unit under warranty. Even got a free tank of gas out of the deal since they wanted it almost empty when I brought it in and had to fill it to test the repair! :D

I’m curious if this was a Highlander or a RAV4? Both have had the issue. I have a Highlander Hybrid and am going to discuss the issue with the dealer when I take it in for the 20k checkup in a couple weeks.

My primary issue is that I can only put between 11-12 gallons in at fill ups even when the tank shows very empty. Even though the tank is 17.1 gallons. Did the new tank fix your issue?

I think for a lot of car guys, it’s the mechanical aspect of cars that is appealing. Hearing the engine rev up, the sound of the exhaust note, and manually shifting gears provides a visceral experience that an electric car simply can’t match. Even though the electric car might be “better” by most metrics, it also feels less lively and connected. These folks are a small (and shrinking!) segment of the car-buying public.

I think that is true for "a lot of guys", but certainly not all. My brother is a big car guy, he has owned many crazy fast cars, including a couple Teslas. He loves to show off the acceleration of the Tesla.

I'm not a "practicing car guy", I'm a practical car guy when it comes to what I drive. But I know quite a bit about cars, have dug pretty deep into the technology, and love the history (Jay Leno's garage is a great one, plus a few other technical car youtubers I follow).

But for me, the incredible acceleration of the Tesla was a "is that all there is?" moment. It's just not the same without the engine screaming, tires spinning, going through the gears (like his Cobra replica). That's all part of the experience for some of us.

Look at all the interest that "guys" have in old steam trains. It's hard to explain, but it's similar to the interest in screaming ICE performance car.

I don't think they are theories, it's just different strokes (two-stroke, four-stroke, or no-stroke!) for different folks.

-ERD50

I had a 2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid for 4 years and it was completely trouble-free and an excellent vehicle. I was on the waiting list for over a year (I wasn't going to pay over MSRP) and got a 2022 RAV4 Prime. I traded in the 2018 RAV4 and got more than I paid for it. Crazy world, but that RAV4 Prime is fabulous. Worth the wait.

I’m curious if this was a Highlander or a RAV4? Both have had the issue.

My primary issue is that I can only put between 11-12 gallons in at fill ups even when the tank shows very empty. Even though the tank is 17.1 gallons. Did the new tank fix your issue?

The problem was on my 2021 Highlander Hybrid and like you, I also had less than expected capacity when refueling, had the pump shut off when the gauge showed less than full, plus the fuel low light came on sooner than I expected.

Toyota has a Technical Service Bulletin on the issue,T-SB-0008-22, dated February 8, 2022 linked here: Vehicle Refueling Performance.

The tank and sending unit replacement did the trick.

I have a Highlander Hybrid and am going to discuss the issue with the dealer when I take it in for the 20k checkup in a couple weeks.
Be sure to tell them REWahoo sent you. :)

I think there's a simple explanation. Here's an analogy.

If you took all contestants for Miss America, and rated them for house keeping and cooking skills, do you think this would give the same ranking as that for the prettiest girl?

Different criteria, different rankings. I rest my case.
Same idea, shorter version:

I heard Marilyn Monroe was a lousy cook.

The problem was on my 2021 Highlander Hybrid and like you, I also had less than expected capacity when refueling, had the pump shut off when the gauge showed less than full, plus the fuel low light came on sooner than I expected.

Toyota has a Technical Service Bulletin on the issue,T-SB-0008-22, dated February 8, 2022 linked here: Vehicle Refueling Performance.

The tank and sending unit replacement did the trick.

Be sure to tell them REWahoo sent you. :)

Ha. Will do. I was already aware of the TSB. I printed it out a week ago when I set up the appointment. I don't want them playing dumb about it. I plan on taking in the printout with me.

I /DW has a 2019 Toyota Hilander Hybred that does not get near the fuel mileage that it was advertised to do. If you run it in ECO or EV mode it kicks out and goes into gas mode I think too quickly. If we are creeping along in traffic from redlight to redlight it will stay in for a little longer until it lights up battery too low for EV. Dealer says thats normal. We/She had a Kia Sorento before this suv that got 21 to 25 mpg on average whis was only a couple of gallons less. As far as the overall driving she likes it so we will be keeping it as long as she is ok with it, since our other vehicle is a Ram 2500 HD truck that pulls my camper great and guzzles gas.

I /DW has a 2019 Toyota Hilander Hybred that does not get near the fuel mileage that it was advertised to do.
Toyota did a major revision to the Highlander Hybrid drivetrain beginning with the 2020 model. The EPA fuel mileage numbers increased from 28 mpg combined in 2019 to 36 mpg in 2020. YMMV of course. :)

Purchased a 2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid, and love it. Get over 40 MPG on the highway. 38 MPG overall.

Last edited:
I'm on my second Lexus hybrid SUV and have had no problems. I'm in year 5 on the second and will probably keep it a couple of more years. My next will be a Lexus NX plugin hybrid assuming I don't see a better option emerge..

FWIW, my plug-in hybrid has been perfectly reliable for the 4 ½ years I've owned it.

If I were in the market for a vehicle I would probably go this route. I know there are some here that do ev out of town traveling but I'm not ready for that yet. I think the 2023 Prius plug in looks sharp. You get roughly 25 miles of all city ev driving out of it so that would effectively be an electric car most days for me. But I bought an ICE last year so I'm several years away from another purchase. Will be pushing my mid 70's by then so who knows what the market will be like at that point....

We love our 2016 Camry LE hybrid.

I’ve owned a Prius for 13 years. It has been by far the most reliable car out of the 3 I’ve owned in my life. I’ve only had one thing go wrong outside of normal maintenance: a faulty tire pressure indicator gauge that had to be fixed.

The original batteries are still going strong. The smaller battery, the one that all cars have, lasted 11 years before it needed to be replaced. I just assumed the bigger batteries that help power the car also served as the battery for lights and such, and was shocked to find that there was in fact a separate small battery and that it had lasted that long.

The original brakes are still working fine as well.

I’m definitely getting another Prius when this car wears out, it it ever does.

We’ve had a Prius for 13 years, a Camry for 13 years, and a Dodge Caravan for 16 years. The Prius has 209K miles on it. All are running well. We’re having weird problems with sensors on the Prius which cost too much to fix. But all vehicles have given us few problems. We had electrical problems with the Prius last spring, which have fixed themselves by replacing the 12V battery and not using daytime running lights, which failed to turn off.

We ordered a new Prius in April and are still waiting. It’s a 2022, but instead we’ll get a 2023, which has much more HP and similar if not better gas mileage, and looks like a sports car. The dealer will honor the 2022 price. We could get a used 2021 Prius for $5000 over MSRP, but why not wait a few more months. The dealer calls us each month to update us on our status. It’s also an AWD, which will increase safety in the winter.

38,000 miles on a 2009 Venza? That's 8 miles a day. No wonder it hasn't broken down yet!

38,000 miles on a 2009 Venza? That's 8 miles a day. No wonder it hasn't broken down yet!

I know! :LOL: And that includes two or three hurricane evacuations out of state.

Here at home, everything I could ever need or want is nearby, within a couple of miles. Also I love my home (which I call my Dream Home), so I like spending as much time as possible here at home instead of out driving around.

As you can imagine, the increase in gas prices in recent months hasn't kept me up nights worrying. :D

I'm just hoping my Venza lasts another 15 years. After that, it probably won't matter since I'm 74 already. If it doesn't last that long, I'll probably buy another Toyota ICE car but who knows.

I guess for me, I have not seen a hybrid or EV that seemed a better overall value compared to my favorite ICE's. And I get no psychic benefit from owning "new technology" which is not an improvement over the old, at least in my view.

I do think the hybrid reliability is interesting and I have looked at those. I could see buying one at some point, if I found the right deal.

Reactions: W2R
My thinking is that the hybrids are mostly made by the manufacturers that make good ICE cars so know what they are doing...

Most EVs are Tesla and from what I read are not that reliable in a number of areas...

Remember, they have a long list of items that are not just engine and transmission...

We've had a couple of Gen 2 Prius the past few years. Our current one is a 2008 with 165k miles and is a fantastic car. Getting over 50 mpg the past year is awesome! I think right now the Prius is a perfect transition car to EV. Until the infrastructure is at a point where I can drive out west where we live without range anxiety, we'll keep the Prius. We also own an older Toyota Landcruiser and Lexus GX460 so driving the Prius helps pay for the gas in these SUVs :)

Back
Top Bottom