Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2022, 03:20 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I appreciate the updates from those who have sent paper I-bonds into to be converted. I'll wait a while longer.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2022, 04:02 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This topic is a thorn in my side. I do not like treasury direct, it's complicated and confusing. We have paper I Bonds from the early 2000s sitting in a lockbox. We also have a living trust and the trustee, my brother, has access to the lockbox. The problem is, that only me and DH are designated on the bonds. We want to keep them as long as we can with the interest as it is. If we die, they go to probate. Is that right? And yes, worth over the minimum probate level.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:29 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
This topic is a thorn in my side. I do not like treasury direct, it's complicated and confusing. We have paper I Bonds from the early 2000s sitting in a lockbox. We also have a living trust and the trustee, my brother, has access to the lockbox. The problem is, that only me and DH are designated on the bonds. We want to keep them as long as we can with the interest as it is. If we die, they go to probate. Is that right? And yes, worth over the minimum probate level.
Not trying to be a smart alec, but is Treasury Direct really more complicated and confusing than holding paper bonds, especially if you die with some? You can set up a Payable on Death beneficiary at TD, which bypasses probate. That alone seems very worthwhile to me.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 11:14 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

https://thefinancebuff.com/how-to-de...e-account.html

Here is a link that goes over all of the steps needed to convert paper to electronic.

I received my paper I Bonds on Friday from this years return and was just doing this today. I was able to get to the point of creating a manifest, when it asked me one of my 3 security questions. Unfortunately, I couldn’t think of the answer, nor find any of the 3 security questions written down anywhere. After 3 attempts, I got locked out and got a message to call them. So this is what I’ll be doing tomorrow.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post

Here is a link that goes over all of the steps needed to convert paper to electronic.

I received my paper I Bonds on Friday from this years return and was just doing this today. I was able to get to the point of creating a manifest, when it asked me one of my 3 security questions. Unfortunately, I couldn’t think of the answer, nor find any of the 3 security questions written down anywhere. After 3 attempts, I got locked out and got a message to call them. So this is what I’ll be doing tomorrow.
Thank you!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoheadden View Post

I use a password manager, keepassXC.
It gives me all the security of having a separate long random password for each site, so I don't have to remember any passwords.
Everything is in 1 place. Easy to back up as it's simply an encrypted file so I just copy it.

One of the best parts is: There is a big space for each entry, where I can list down as I'm making my login for a site, the security question and answer.
The space is huge, so no limits in practical terms.

Then when I login and they ask the security question, I can look down below and see the answers.

Keeps it tidy, and organized.
Old 04-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I got an email 12 days after I mailed them that they were received, and it would take 4-6 weeks for them to process them before they'll show up in my account. You're about 2-3 weeks behind me, so they might be even more backed up now. But you should be getting that first email soon.
My I-bonds showed up in my Treasury Direct account today, 2.5 weeks after I got the email that said it would take 4-6. About a month total from when I mailed them via regular US Mail.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I sent in several I-bonds I received as part of my income tax refund to be converted to my Treasury Direct account over two weeks ago. So far I have not heard a word concerning them.

Those of you who have converted paper i-bonds to electronic form in Treasury Direct, how long did it take? Did you get any email acknowledging that the bonds were received, being processed and converted?
I'm at the 3 week point.

I never received an email regarding the bonds being received and/or mentioning a waiting time. I did check the manifest list today and it says that processing is "in progress".

Old 04-08-2022, 08:39 AM   #29

Does TD close your account? I created a linked account about 3 weeks ago. When I logged in yesterday, TD said that it was closed.
Quote:
Important message(s):

The account number you entered has been closed.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:45 AM   #30

Does the application require an entry of serial number for each bond? Our bonds are stored in the safety deposit box. We may need to fetch them for the application process, right? We need to turn them in anyway.
Old 04-08-2022, 10:06 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Does TD close your account? I created a linked account about 3 weeks ago. When I logged in yesterday, TD said that it was closed.
It's open and shows the T-bill I recently purchased.

Old 04-09-2022, 09:06 PM   #32

Have you seen an update yet?

I checked on TreasuryDirect and my conversion is done. I can't find the exact date that it happened, but it didn't take nearly 4-6 weeks that they said it would.

I suspect they received the bonds on 3/21 and they showed up in my account less than 3 weeks later. I transferred them to the main account, which was immediate. Now I can forget about this until next year.

I hope yours show up soon.
Old 04-12-2022, 10:09 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Today, exactly four weeks after I mailed my I-bonds to the Treasury for conversion to electronic format, they have shown up on my TD account. One more data point in how long it takes.

FWIW, I never received any of the email notifications that some have reported here. But, they are now converted and in my account.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:39 AM   #34

Thanks for the datapoint, just did my conversion and mailed them today. I only used a stamp in a regular envelope, you can get your bonds back if they're lost in the mail. Take pics of all the bonds before you send them!
GTFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 08:33 AM   #35

Quote:
Today, exactly four weeks after I mailed my I-bonds to the Treasury for conversion to electronic format, they have shown up on my TD account. One more data point in how long it takes.

FWIW, I never received any of the email notifications that some have reported here. But, they are now converted and in my account.
We sent our single bond in on 4/18 and have never received an email of any sort.

DH logged in to his account to check that way, and for some reason he has been locked out of his TD account.

He’s been calling to see why he’s locked out, and wait times are 2 hours, they say. He’s not made it that long, so far.

Maybe today.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:39 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Have you seen an update yet?

I checked on TreasuryDirect and my conversion is done. I can't find the exact date that it happened, but it didn't take nearly 4-6 weeks that they said it would.

I suspect they received the bonds on 3/21 and they showed up in my account less than 3 weeks later. I transferred them to the main account, which was immediate. Now I can forget about this until next year.

I hope yours show up soon.
I was not aware converted bonds could be moved to your main account..I think I would like to do it..Is there any reason not to? Is this possible and if so how do you do it?
Old 05-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
I was not aware converted bonds could be moved to your main account..I think I would like to do it..Is there any reason not to? Is this possible and if so how do you do it?

See "Transfer to Main Account." I don't see any downside.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Here is my data point on conversion time.
Mailed paper bonds: 2/28/2022
Delivered: 3/6
Received email acknowledgement: 3/11
Converted: Not yet!
Old 05-09-2022, 09:36 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
Here is my data point on conversion time.
Mailed paper bonds: 2/28/2022
Delivered: 3/6
Received email acknowledgement: 3/11
Converted: Not yet!
That's quite a wait. But, at least you did receive and acknowledgment that they were received.

This differences in people's experiences reinforces the advice to make a copy of the bonds one sends in and keep a record of the date(s) sent.

I suspect the TD is rather swamped since they offer one of the hottest investments in town.

Old 05-09-2022, 10:02 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I suspect the TD is rather swamped since they offer one of the hottest investments in town.

When you call CS, the announcement now says it may up to 8 weeks to process mail. Mine has been just over 8 weeks, but I didn't try waiting >2 hours for them to answer the phone. I suspect they would just tell me to wait longer.