Join Early Retirement Today

Converting yearly rental to furnished monthly
Old 08-25-2017, 12:39 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Converting yearly rental to furnished monthly

Hello,
Thinking of taking a regular rental property and and converting to a monthly furnished rental. Anyone have any experience with doing this? Any thoughts? If I can keep it rented it could pay off. Was rented for 2200, tenant moved out and I did a total remodel and posted for 2850. A rental agent called with lady who wants to rent furnished for 3600 for 6 months. Then I would rent month to month when she moves out. The agent takes 4%, Ocean view property in Sunny CA.
jw72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2017, 02:13 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Mr. Money mustache recently interviewed a young lady who retired early based on her experience running an airbnb. https://www.zeonamcintyre.com/ is her web page.

Might be something to check out since you seem to be in a tourist type area.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Mr. Money mustache recently interviewed a young lady who retired early based on her experience running an airbnb. https://www.zeonamcintyre.com/ is her web page.

Might be something to check out since you seem to be in a tourist type area.
Ah yes....another MMM "early retiree". This one teaches others (for a fee, of course) how to run BNB businesses, and owns 5 properties and manages 15. All in her "retired time".

I guess you might as well call Kiyosaki retired as well.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw72 View Post
Hello,

Thinking of taking a regular rental property and and converting to a monthly furnished rental. Anyone have any experience with doing this? Any thoughts? If I can keep it rented it could pay off. Was rented for 2200, tenant moved out and I did a total remodel and posted for 2850. A rental agent called with lady who wants to rent furnished for 3600 for 6 months. Then I would rent month to month when she moves out. The agent takes 4%, Ocean view property in Sunny CA.

I say try it! You already have a potential tenant. I would stay away from short term (less than 30 days) rentals. Too much potential for damage from parties based on our experience. But a furnished ocean view CA property should be pretty marketable.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have you done a general budget for furnishing? Most people in short term rental want everything new and nice. Also a 30 day rental is going to require everything from a complete kitchen supply to a washing machine and everything in between.

If I was furnishing my own second home I'd do Craigslist and thrift stores for just about everything but the beds. That's right you'll need bedding too.

You'd net about 600 a month more but don't expect people to move in on the 1st and out on the 31st....you most likely are going to have empty days and weeks on your calendar.

A regular tenant with their own stuff and the right qualifications might be better.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hello,
Short-term rentals may have tax consequences different from long-term rentals. The IRS may regard them as active businesses rather than passive income, much like hotel operations. If so, income would be earned income and subject to payroll taxes. This would put the short-term at a ~15% disadvantage to long-term.
BreathFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:08 AM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
Ah yes....another MMM "early retiree". This one teaches others (for a fee, of course) how to run BNB businesses, and owns 5 properties and manages 15. All in her "retired time".

My entire source of income is derived from the rental income of 5 houses, just finishing up an eviction and will be taking possession back today or tomorrow. We went to Hawaii in May, just got back from Reno Tuesday and leaving for Seattle in 10 days, really got nothing going on today might head up to San Francisco for the day..... I guess you can call me a working schmuck too
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
My entire source of income is derived from the rental income of 5 houses, just finishing up an eviction and will be taking possession back today or tomorrow. We went to Hawaii in May, just got back from Reno Tuesday and leaving for Seattle in 10 days, really got nothing going on today might head up to San Francisco for the day..... I guess you can call me a working schmuck too
+1 This board is my favorite source for financial information; however, I am not retired. I will probably always derive an income from somewhere other than strictly passive income; I like to make money. I also am living exclusively off my rental income. I also derive a small income from software I sell online over and above my needed income. I am not retired, but there is a big difference between commuting everyday to work for 40+ hours, dealing with co-workers, bosses, having to work sick, dress codes ect.. versus working 10 hours a week from home at your leisure.
BreathFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post

Would you have preferred I referred to her as FI instead? I'm just passing along info to the OP, who asked for input.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:42 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you all for the input. It will only be a month to month rental (thats all this property mgr does). It has washer/dryer and refrigiator now. I was thinking of going to Costco and spending about 10K, big screen, sofas, beds, towels dishes, ect. I am still 50/50, one advantage I see is trading homes in other countries for a month or two. Seems fun but I would not want anyone staying in my personal home. This would work perfect for that.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Thank you all for the input. It will only be a month to month rental (thats all this property mgr does). It has washer/dryer and refrigiator now. I was thinking of going to Costco and spending about 10K, big screen, sofas, beds, towels dishes, ect.
We used Craigslist for furniture and appliances last time when we furnished our winter place. Saved about 75-80% vs buying new. Found some nice items, too.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:10 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you, I have bought and sold a lot of things on craigslist and love it. I have been reading on vacation rentals and they say go with a thyme. Was thinking modern, everything flows the same style and Costco bring it to the door. Not an easy decision, My heart says try it like Scuba says but my brain says stay the course with yearly rentals like ivansfan says. Truly 50/50. As a bonus, It would make a great man cave if it does not rent.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
We used Craigslist for furniture and appliances last time when we furnished our winter place. Saved about 75-80% vs buying new. Found some nice items, too.
I would do this for my second home, but not a rental. I think renters in a VRBO type world have gotten pretty picky. It needs to really look good in pictures.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Have you had any nibbles at your 2850 number? It occurs to me you are going to need better insurance with short stay vacation type rentals. You might ask your insurance person or the broker about that.

Are you hoping to attract snowbirds?
Old 08-25-2017, 03:06 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I had it rented for 3200 but they had small children and short term (not furnished). I told them no, that was dumb now that 3 weeks has passed. One of their kids got his fingers stuck in the dutch door and hoping to get no kids. Property mgr has it listed month to month furnished for 3800 and another has it 3100 not furnished yearly rental.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:52 AM   #16

I suggest IKEA for furnishing a CA rental. Everything looks very modern as tenants expect but it's relatively low cost. Costco might not be trendy/modern enough to appeal to tenants. You could get nice stuff on Craigslist but it could take quite a bit longer and hard to match up the style vs just doing a "big buy" all at once.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:07 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Great Idea, BUT, I must be getting old. I can not figure IKEA out. Been there a few times with intention to purchase, walked out confused. Kitchen, Closet shelving, bedroom furniture. Costco is just so simple for me to understand, and great return policy if I hate it.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:45 AM   #18

Quote:
I had it rented for 3200 but they had small children and short term (not furnished). I told them no, that was dumb now that 3 weeks has passed. One of their kids got his fingers stuck in the dutch door and hoping to get no kids. Property mgr has it listed month to month furnished for 3800 and another has it 3100 not furnished yearly rental.
That would be a violation of the Fair Housing Act, as well as excluding service animals.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:35 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Not against the law to hope for no kids. They could have had it on a 1 year lease, like anyone else. I also hope for a single 60 year old lady who travels 80% of the time and eats out every meal.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:41 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

My preference is to keep them in a long as possible to limit the number of tenant turns.

I personally like the tenants to have kids because we choose houses in good school districts.

I guess it depends on what your "strategy" is.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote