Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I retired at 39 because I felt pretty secure in my financial independence and chose to do other things rather than continue working.

No kids, and didn't intend to do anything to earn money anymore other than through managing my investments.

Thought paying no more payroll taxes was a great benefit of retiring. Had earned enough credits to qualify for both SS and Medicare even though my professional full-time career was only 18 years.

Paid a huge chunk of Federal taxes when I divested of company stock, so never felt bad about lower taxes later when I stopped earning a wage and paid mostly long-term cap gains rates on income.

It's interesting reading this thread about what is too early, what is too little, etc.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 02:32 PM   #342
Give me a forum ...

I've seen it all now. These guys are homeless in spite of owning a $270k home and having $670k of liquid investments.

My home is well below $200k and factoring in my kids I have less per capita than the FreedomwithBruno folks, so I'm not sure what kind of reprobate cretin that makes me. I am fortunate to have ample time in my destitute homelessness to ponder these deep questions (from inside my 4 bedroom house).

Life gets tougher every day here.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:35 PM   #343
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
There you go. The opinion remains the same whether they have 1 mill or 10 mill.
Yes, if they had $10M would anybody criticize them for retiring at 30?

And would they bother with blogging?

And would they buy a nice RV?
Old 06-03-2016, 02:36 PM   #344
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Fedup - I will confess.... I'm very confused by your posts. You keep changing the rules/requirements for destitute, homeless, retired, etc.

Destitute because they live in a car (or did before they bought a home)
Homeless because they lived in a car - except they own a home.
But homeless/destitute people can have lots of money stashed - so how are they destitute?

These folks own a home. Have serious savings - although not as much as they used to. Have income producing plans (blog, airbnb). But still they're called liars, frauds, destitute, homeless, etc...
I only saw the first page of their blog as they sleep in a car. To me that's a step above homeless. I have no idea if they currently live in their home or not, I have no intention of digging deeper, but I know they did not at first. People here keep posting that the fact that they own a house makes them not homeless. If they live in a home or RV with a proper restroom then I think they are not homeless.
But most people on the street, would not think living in a car as a home. I know some here would differ from that opinion. But I was responding to the fact that someone posted that just because you have millions aside doesn't mean you are not destitute nor homeless. I provide the link to prove otherwise.
To me homeless means no home, regardless of how much money you have. You can live in hotel permanently like a rich billionaire hedge fund guy, I forgot his name, but he came from Germany and decided not to own any home. He lives in expensive hotel suites. He has no homes, but he is not homeless.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:46 PM   #345
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncaD View Post
But aren't they still in their working careers since they write a blog?
They told millions of readers on msn money they retired from working.

So not sure
Old 06-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #346
Give me a forum ...

If I could make 40 grand a year posting a couple of paragraphs and some pics a few times a week I'd call that "free dough"

Nice work if you can get it! I would but I retired at 59 so nobody cares -
Old 06-03-2016, 03:51 PM   #347
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post
Life can be rough.
Yes that is true. Again "I" wouldn't do what they did, but I have several friends who wouldn't do what I did--retire at age 55. I could have doubled my portfolio by age 65. But I have enough, and OMY wasn't in my cards as I enjoy my time not working and stressing. My father just celebrated his 90th birthday and his brother died a couple of years ago at age 96--so longevity runs in the family, so 35-40 years is a long time to be retired.

It is a risk I am willing to take, and obviously they are willing to take the risk they have started. Will they be successful? Will "I" be successful? Will 'you' be successful or die at your desk? Who knows--it all is a risk, and in the end all you can do is go with your own comfort level. But I agree life is rough but you deal with it within your comfort zone. This clearly isn't in your comfort zone, but I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with their position.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #348

Quote:
If I could make 40 grand a year posting a couple of paragraphs and some pics a few times a week I'd call that "free dough"

59 is still early compared to most people.

Start a blog for fun. Maybe it will develop into something that makes some income.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:05 PM   #349
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You also have to spend a couple hours per year dealing with the national media. So there's that, too. It's almost like a full time job but with about 2000 hours less work per year. And you never have to worry about TPS reports or getting manager approval to use the little boys' room.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:07 PM   #350
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I've seen it all now. These guys are homeless in spite of owning a $270k home and having $670k of liquid investments.

My home is well below $200k and factoring in my kids I have less per capita than the FreedomwithBruno folks, so I'm not sure what kind of reprobate cretin that makes me. I am fortunate to have ample time in my destitute homelessness to ponder these deep questions (from inside my 4 bedroom house).

Now I wanna be a reprobate! Damn it, so hard to keep up!!
Ok, will have to start making a list to keep all this straight pretty soon.
But do not want to be labeled a cretin. I do have standards. They are just really, really low.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:38 PM   #351

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
I am not really trying to bust your chops here...well not too much anyways.

But playing devils advocate here--aren't they much more disciplined then you (or me)? I assume you are in your late 40's or 50's? I am 56 now retired at 55. If I was as disciplined as this young couple I could have retired at a much younger age, and maybe you would be retired by now too! Maybe we better re-read that book! :cool smiley:

We didn't quit our high paying careers at age 30 to be fake retired Blogtirement celebs.

The real discipline is being a long term investor. I don't remember people building wealth in 10 years in that book and retiring with 25k a year in income at age 30.

So you are way more disciplined than they are because you kept working and retired for real at age 55. 55 is young. Give yourself more credit.

The MSN article is about their life(not mine) and they wanted the blog publicity and they got it.
Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #352

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakuna matata View Post
Yes that is true. Again "I" wouldn't do what they did, but I have several friends who wouldn't do what I did--retire at age 55. I could have doubled my portfolio by age 65. But I have enough, and OMY wasn't in my cards as I enjoy my time not working and stressing. My father just celebrated his 90th birthday and his brother died a couple of years ago at age 96--so longevity runs in the family, so 35-40 years is a long time to be retired.

It is a risk I am willing to take, and obviously they are willing to take the risk they have started. Will they be successful? Will "I" be successful? Will 'you' be successful or die at your desk? Who knows--it all is a risk, and in the end all you can do is go with your own comfort level. But I agree life is rough but you deal with it within your comfort zone. This clearly isn't in your comfort zone, but I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with their position.
They must have had a very weak comfort zone while working in their high paying professional careers. Lots of stressful situations and people yelling in their face.

Good to get out before you crash and burn in your early 30s.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:44 PM   #353
Give me a forum ...

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1465004655.649442.jpg

Old 06-04-2016, 03:15 AM   #354

Quote:
They must have had a very weak comfort zone while working in their high paying professional careers. Lots of stressful situations and people yelling in their face.

Good to get out before you crash and burn in your early 30s.
I now have sometime to read the article. They moved from a high cost area to a low cost area. They are not sure they are not going back to work yet, my bet is they will because they expect the rate of return to their investment is 7%. But for the sake of promoting their blog, they say they are retired.

But their total income is $200K per couple in the Bay Area is not considered high paying careers. It maybe to the rest of countries, but not for Bay Area, and not for engineers.

BTW, The most stressful situation I've worked is with an aerospace/defense company, while clueless people like to shout and make work a stressful situation, but rarely in Silicon Valley. Same with job security. It's mostly base on your skill set.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:35 AM   #355

Quote:
We didn't quit our high paying careers at age 30 to be fake retired Blogtirement celebs.

The real discipline is being a long term investor. I don't remember people building wealth in 10 years in that book and retiring with 25k a year in income at age 30.

So you are way more disciplined than they are because you kept working and retired for real at age 55. 55 is young. Give yourself more credit.

The MSN article is about their life(not mine) and they wanted the blog publicity and they got it.
Well said

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 06-04-2016, 06:41 AM   #356
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post

I will say that the tone of the forum has changed a bit since the 6 years I've been here. A little more scolding, and less "live and let live."

But I think this thread has stoked so much fire because of real or perceived disingenuous acts.

As for you FUEGO, you've shared enough here with us that you don't give off those vibes. You come across as more authentic. Maybe for me it is because we both live in Raleigh, and we've shared some stuff about the city that rings true. I don't know, but despite your fire name, you come across as not blowing smoke.
Cool FIRE article in MSN Money
Old 06-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #357
gone traveling

Cool FIRE article in MSN Money

The difference is that Fuego is HONEST with his information and doesn't try to blow smoke on his blog either.

He shares readily that his wife was working until recently.

He is forthright with the blog generating income.

And he admits a solid strategy around collecting legally provided subsidies and strategic default of debt..

Plus he is and had been doing it - validated / living proof - it doesn't get more real and credible that that.

Acting as big brothers and sisters here, i think many of us would also consider Fuego's financial situation to be closer to the razor's edge than we would probably be comfortable with if he were to anonymously appear in "hi I'm..." Section. That's the nature of this group. We would offer suggestions etc. But some do choose to be more risky and that's ok too. With youth comes higher risk taking usually.

Lastly- Credibility is hugely important - especially when "I read it on the internet" - So, as a new generation comes to the forefront, society at all levels are collectively testing what a new / digital credibility paradigm might be. There is little fact checking by writers now days aside a cursory Google search. Credibility and validation is largely left with the reader to handle to test and to find the holes...

That's what we did with Bruno
That's what we did with $400 Atlantic
That's what we did with MMM

Etc....

This is a far more financially savvy (and possibly educated) forum than most.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
I now have sometime to read the article. They moved from a high cost area to a low cost area. They are not sure they are not going back to work yet, my bet is they will because they expect the rate of return to their investment is 7%. But for the sake of promoting their blog, they say they are retired.

But their total income is $200K per couple in the Bay Area is not considered high paying careers. It maybe to the rest of countries, but not for Bay Area, and not for engineers.

BTW, The most stressful situation I've worked is with an aerospace/defense company, while clueless people like to shout and make work a stressful situation, but rarely in Silicon Valley. Same with job security. It's mostly base on your skill set.
If you can save $1 million free and clear by age 30 with much of that being take-home pay while experiencing a quarter life crisis it doesn't matter where you live in the United States. Thats great income and they did a great job saving that much money.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:21 PM   #359

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadad111 View Post
The difference is that Fuego is HONEST with his information and doesn't try to blow smoke on his blog either.

He shares readily that his wife was working until recently.

He is forthright with the blog generating income.

And he admits a solid strategy around collecting legally provided subsidies and strategic default of debt..

Plus he is and had been doing it - validated / living proof - it doesn't get more real and credible that that.

Acting as big brothers and sisters here, i think many of us would also consider Fuego's financial situation to be closer to the razor's edge than we would probably be comfortable with if he were to anonymously appear in "hi I'm..." Section. That's the nature of this group. We would offer suggestions etc. But some do choose to be more risky and that's ok too. With youth comes higher risk taking usually.

Lastly- Credibility is hugely important - especially when "I read it on the internet" - So, as a new generation comes to the forefront, society at all levels are collectively testing what a new / digital credibility paradigm might be. There is little fact checking by writers now days aside a cursory Google search. Credibility and validation is largely left with the reader to handle to test and to find the holes...

That's what we did with Bruno
That's what we did with $400 Atlantic
That's what we did with MMM

Etc....

This is a far more financially savvy (and possibly educated) forum than most.

Its a Good thing the hunter-gatherer generation didn't have Mr. money mustache.

The Mustachianism cult is very positive in many ways but it seems to promote this idea that you are a big loser if you work an actual "real" job.

So pilots and cops and teachers and lawyers and doctors, etc. are wasting their life away by working more than 10.9 years in their careers.

Every time I go to the MMM website I quickly remind myself that this guy now makes big money off his website selling this idea of Mustachian living.

I find it hard to believe that Mr. money mustache and his family really live on just 24k a year. Travel 3 months a year. That is pure magic.

More power to the guy and his cult of followers. But I like my $350.00 dryer from Lowes. How the heck would I get the wrinkles out of my cloths if I hung them outside to dry on a wire.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:01 PM   #360
Give me a forum ...

I didn't even know MMM existed before here. I looked once. Once was enough -
Closed Thread