Join Early Retirement Today

Corn, the next Silver
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Corn, the next Silver

Here is a bit on why we all need to get into corn....$12 a bushel, wow I'm there. The three guys could as well be selling "Rolex" watches on a street corner. Market timing commodities is about as far from my investment strategy as you could get. What do you think?

If You Missed Silver, Corn Could Be Next - Yahoo! Finance
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

Quote:
That's right. The Reformed Broker Josh Brown says if the planets align correctly and a few other variables kick in, then the amazing beast that is corn could deliver another 60% upside.
Sounds like a sure thing. Where do I sign up?

DD
Old 04-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Sounds like a sure thing. Where do I sign up?

DD
You do, when you buy groceries.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #4

I might have to look into this. Wonder if corn will store as well as my silver has.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
gone traveling

Held DBA but sold it a short while back. Me thinks commodities could be affected by QEII, so am holding off adding to my position until after June.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
You do, when you buy groceries.........
Or buy gasohol at the pumps.

I'm more concerned about barley prices as I brew beer. After the great hop scare a few years ago I planted my own so I have that covered. Growing and malting my own barley is a bit more complicated though.

DD
Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Or buy gasohol at the pumps.

I'm more concerned about barley prices as I brew beer. After the great hop scare a few years ago I planted my own so I have that covered. Growing and malting my own barley is a bit more complicated though.

DD
One of the things you figure out after a bit of experinmentation is that you can get an amazingly wide variety of things to ferment (even heard about a mountain dew-based mead someone made).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #8

While they may or may not be correct, even if they are, it's much harder for the average punter to invest in corn (comapred to silver) - it's bulky, difficult to store, perishable and the products I've seen which are linked to corn prices (futures, options, ETCs) all have issues which make them less attractive as investments (at least to me). If there is something available which allows investing in individual commodities on terms which offer similar economics to paper silver, I'd (possibly) be interested.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #9

One traditional way to "invest" in corn was to buy companies that supply farmers. They tended to rise with corn prices. One of these reported today.

Fertilizer producer POT posted record Q1 earnings and beat analyst estimates (slightly) and raised annual guidance. Result, its PPS dropped 3%. It is now selling at about 2/3 of its historical high.

If corn prices rise to the $12 suggested in the link, any company that services farmers (ie. POT, MOS, AGU, ADM, CNH, DE, CAT etc. or for you indexers, MOO) usually make a fine substitute for corn. See above for the unusual.

Mileage varies with drivers etc, etc, etc.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

That $12 number is pretty astounding. In 2008, by the time I was docked basis, drying, and storage, I was selling corn with a 2 in front of it.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
One of the things you figure out after a bit of experinmentation is that you can get an amazingly wide variety of things to ferment (even heard about a mountain dew-based mead someone made).
I think tool using and the ability to ferment an alcoholic beverage from whatever is at hand are the 2 things that separate us from the rest of the animal kingdom.

DD