Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 05:19 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I was curious as to the geographical area in China affected by the virus. This map sums it up as of 2/6/2020. About the entire east half of the country. Found in the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/w...uarantine.html
I know I've posted this before, but I check it almost every day (remember, I'm in public health, and a numbers geek). Johns Hopkins has a live map tracking confirmed cases, deaths, and recoveries: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 08:15 AM   #122

Is there any indication that it's slower to advance in the southern hemisphere? That would give us hope that as warmer weather came to the northern hemisphere, it would not advance as fast.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:37 AM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
I know I've posted this before, but I check it almost every day (remember, I'm in public health, and a numbers geek). Johns Hopkins has a live map tracking confirmed cases, deaths, and recoveries: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6
Thanks for reposting - I'm having a hard time keeping track of all of this information
Old 02-13-2020, 08:57 AM   #124
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Is there any indication that it's slower to advance in the southern hemisphere? That would give us hope that as warmer weather came to the northern hemisphere, it would not advance as fast.
Doesn't seem to be helping Singapore.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 02-13-2020, 08:59 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Doesn't seem to be helping Singapore.
I wonder if humidity is a factor?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 02-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongleur View Post
VENTS are not filled with water. Aerosol spewing out with every type of nasty thing.

follow the health effects thread:
https://www.early-retirement.org/for...101852-37.html
Traps are filled with water but every waste system is vented.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:08 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Traps are filled with water but every waste system is vented.
Unless someone modifies the vent, and then the trap's water gets siphoned out, exposing the waste pipe to the room. Aerosolized particles can then flow out into the room.

Old 02-13-2020, 10:25 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

That was what was pictured in the Hong Kong apartment building. https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ng-kong-policy

What I learned from that is that testing using a patient's stool for the virus may be as effective as using lung sputum from someone exhibiting symptoms of phenomena.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
That was what was pictured in the Hong Kong apartment building. https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ng-kong-policy
Oh wow! Even worse. Here the vent was just cut off an exposed! The normal risk is bad venting so traps get siphoned. This situation, however, is just plain wrong and extremely dangerous.

I will also add that high rise buildings have a whole different set of plumbing issues than standard low rise (5 or 6 stories and below) do.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:51 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

As this thread is about financial impacts of the COVID-19, I will share some relevant tidbits here.

Quote:
Automaker General Motors Co. said it’s trying to stop some of its U.S. plants from running out of China-sourced parts, and Fiat Chrysler plans to idle an assembly plant in Serbia because of a lack of components.
Quote:
Bank of Korea Governor Lee Ju-yeol warned that the spread of the viral illness could have a negative impact on the economy and said the central bank is preparing measures to extend financial support to struggling businesses.
Quote:
Container vessels that routinely move goods worth hundreds of millions of dollars in single shipments are at the sharp end of the turmoil...

Almost 600,000 20-foot boxes are currently out of action as a result of the virus according to Alan Murphy, chief executive officer of container shipping analysis company Sea Intelligence, up from about half that amount just under a week earlier...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-15-2020, 03:49 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, it seems the US markets just don’t “see” these impacts yet.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:35 AM   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Well my DJI drone may have been shipped from China. Ordered on Jan 21, I got an email this morning from FedEx that it was shipped from Shenzhen on Saturday 2/15. Shenzhen is near Hong Kong about 600 miles from Wuhan.

When I checked FedEx tracking, I see a scheduled delivery of Wednesday 2/19. But the tracking info includes a "shipping exception". Not sure if the shipping exception is due to a signature being required or something else.

In any case, this should be interesting. I need to prepare for a total hazmat unboxing when it gets here followed by drone quarantine outside for several days.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 5.22.46 AM.png (47.5 KB, 82 views)
Old 02-15-2020, 06:15 AM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Don't be like Homer when he got the flu after opening the box. DW and I were thinking about this episode recently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg homerflu.JPG (33.9 KB, 74 views)

Old 02-15-2020, 06:19 AM   #134
Give me a forum ...

That made me think of the anthrax mailings, and I never knew the outcome:
Quote:
WASHINGTON (2010) — More than eight years after anthrax-laced letters killed five people and terrorized the country, the F.B.I. on Friday closed its investigation, adding eerie new details to its case that the 2001 attacks were carried out by Bruce E. Ivins, an Army biodefense expert who killed himself in 2008.
NYTimes (may require subscription) https://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/us/20anthrax.html

Quote:
Dr. Ivins, a microbiologist who had worked with anthrax for decades as part of the vaccine program at the Army’s biodefense laboratory at Fort Detrick, Md., took a fatal overdose of Tylenol in July 2008 at the age of 62, after months of intense scrutiny by the F.B.I., which had placed a GPS device on his car, examined his trash and questioned his wife and two children.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Oil glut? WIll the price of fuels in US go up or down as result?
Supposedly China is a very large importer of the stuff.

"By Muyu Xu, Shu Zhang and Devika Krishna Kumar BEIJING/SINGAPORE/NEW YORK, Feb 13 (Reuters) – The coronavirus’s effect on energy markets is worsening, as the sharp fall in demand in China, the world’s largest importer of crude, is stranding oil cargoes off the country’s coast and prompting shippers to seek out other Asian destinations."
https://gcaptain.com/stranded-tanker...glut-in-china/

"When vessels cannot be unloaded, their charterers have to pay what is known as demurrage costs. Those fees have climbed to more than $100,000 per day for a cargo arriving next week compared with about $90,000 per day for those loaded 40 days ago, prompting some shippers to try to transfer crude to older tankers that cost less to operate, they said."
Old 02-15-2020, 08:02 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

^^^ You don't need to tell me about it. My energy stocks have been pummeled.

And yet, gas prices where I am have not come down any.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-15-2020, 08:14 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Get ready for a real large period of oversupply of crude oil with resultant lowering of energy stock prices (XOM, BP, etc). Gasoline is already down to $1.84/gallon near me.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:52 PM   #138
Give me a forum ...

$2.75 at Costco near me. $2.93 at CircleK.

What's goin' on?

I guess nobody tells these guys about the virus in China, nor do they surf the Web, so that they would know to lower the price.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:41 PM   #139

Our gasoline prices went up $0.20 per gallon last week.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:18 AM   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yeah, it seems the US markets just don’t “see” these impacts yet.
It is kind of surreal but I expect the market to react badly soon.
Closed Thread