Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 06:13 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I ordered glasses January 25th. Supposed to take 14-21 days. Nothing since the original e-mail confirming the order.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 06:47 AM   #82

Quote:
Foxconn, the contract manufacturer for Apple, has reopened its factory in Zhengzhou on Monday 2/10.
Heard this morning that Foxconn workers live 8 to a room and the fear is that the virus would spread rapidly if it was ever introduced into this kind of environment.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:40 AM   #83

FWIW, companies in China that were closed due to the CV, are trying to reopen. Even if they do not have a full complement of personnel. They have to apply to the government to resume operations. Then there will be an inspection. I'm not sure what they will be looking for during that inspection. Then the government will decide if they can open or not.

The company that I know had their inspection today. That would be last night for us here in the USA. I haven't heard yet what the decision was.

After the people concerns, I wonder what the delays in restarting the supply chain might cause worldwide. Even when things are not totally made in China, many components come from there.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:37 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
I ordered glasses January 25th. Supposed to take 14-21 days. Nothing since the original e-mail confirming the order.
This email just arrived...

We know you’re eagerly awaiting your new Zennis, and we’re very sorry that they haven’t arrived yet.

Due to mandatory business closures in China, we are currently experiencing production and delivery delays. We are complying with local health and safety measures which are temporarily impacting our estimated delivery times, adding an additional 1-2 weeks to that timeframe. Zenni continues to closely monitor this evolving situation for everyone’s safety; however, the good news is that our lab has officially been approved to start processing orders again as of February 9th.

Think I will leave the package out on the porch for a couple of weeks...
Old 02-11-2020, 01:44 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Think I will leave the package out on the porch for a couple of weeks...
This could end porch pirates
Old 02-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

So when I get my glasses, should I put on a full body tyvek suit with hoodie, then wrap around goggles. Finally put my reading glasses over them?

In all seriousness. Really. What is the risk of droplets being viable on shipped items? I'm not a virologist. I thought it was typically hours at most. No?

Old 02-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #87
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
So when I get my glasses, should I put on a full body tyvek suit with hoodie, then wrap around goggles. Finally put my reading glasses over them?

In all seriousness. Really. What is the risk of droplets being viable on shipped items? I'm not a virologist. I thought it was typically hours at most. No?
The CDC says this https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html
Quote:
Q: Am I at risk for novel coronavirus from a package or products shipping from China?

A: There is still a lot that is unknown about the newly emerged 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) and how it spreads. Two other coronaviruses have emerged previously to cause severe illness in people (MERS and SARS). 2019-nCoV is more genetically related to SARS than MERS, but both are betacoronaviruses with their origins in bats. While we don’t know for sure that this virus will behave the same way as SARS and MERS, we can use the information from both of these earlier coronaviruses to guide us. In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures. Coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread most often by respiratory droplets. Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of 2019-nCoV associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of 2019-nCoV in the United States associated with imported goods. Information will be provided on the 2019 Novel Coronavirus website as it becomes available
Old 02-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Nobody knows for sure. If you are concerned, I would hose them down with rubbing alcohol and let them sit for 15 minutes.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 02-11-2020, 04:24 PM   #89

In case anyone is interested, most pathogens are actually slightly more likely to survive in a sealed container, as they are protected from UV light, which can be used to sterilize items for medical use just like steam and pressure in an autoclave. Most would also become inert/dead when the droplets die out...also probably a slightly slower process in a sealed container.

So if you're worried, open the box and leave it outside for an hour or two.

Unless it's raining.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:28 PM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

^ Not good. I’ll have to find a hazardous waste suit to open my drone package when it arrives. And not launch it for a while. I don’t the drone spreading coronavirus all over.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:51 PM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Can you offer a coherent reason why this should be? Other than monetary stimulus, I cannot.

My opinion: European investors are putting money into the US market because of the negative interest rates. Chinese investors are putting money into the US Market because of the CoronaVirus. US investors are generally buy and hold or into index funds so there is no change. Monetary stimulus by the FED and the Bank of China help calm nerves. The market should be strong as long as the dollar is strong. If the dollar weakens, then watch out! This is because the foreign investors may pull out. I believe Donald and the Fed understand this point.

If you were Donald: Would you weaken the dollar so that US manufacturing sector improves at the expense of the stock market? Would you strengthen the dollar to weaken the US manufacturing sector to ensure the stock market is high? It is already hapenning: The manufacturing sector has weaken. I would be very concern after the election.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Leaving the item out in the sun for an afternoon should kill everything, I think.

PS. It's winter where you are, and there's no sun? Tough luck. Should have moved to the SW.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-11-2020, 05:37 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Leaving the item out in the sun for an afternoon should kill everything, I think.

PS. It's winter where you are, and there's no sun? Tough luck. Should have moved to the SW.
I agree with using the sun. If there is no sun, put it in your dryer. The heat should kill the virus.

I read a medical report that the virus can survive without a host for 7 to 9 days on a "cold" hard surface. This is because the tiny water droplets does not evaporate very quickly in a cold and high humid condition.

When you come home, I would wash your clothes with bleach immediately, take a hot shower, and use your clothes dryer to kill anything left on your clothes. I also suggested washing your face and hands with a solution with some bleach before taking that hot shower. There may be something online on the amount of bleach to use.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:43 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
I agree with using the sun. If there is no sun, put it in your dryer. The heat should kill the virus.

I read a medical report that the virus can survive without a host for 7 to 9 days on a "cold" hard surface. This is because the tiny water droplets does not evaporate very quickly in a cold and high humid condition.

When you come home, I would wash your clothes with bleach immediately, take a hot shower, and use your clothes dryer to kill anything left on your clothes. I also suggested washing your face and hands with a solution with some bleach before taking that hot shower. There may be something online on the amount of bleach to use.
FYI, The only EPA registered product that I have found that can kill the coronavirus is the hospital grade century Q wipes.....

https://multi-clean.com/wp-content/u...ec12-16-19.pdf

I also read that lysol spray should be OK to use and more readily available ..... but lysol is not EPA registered to kill coronavirus.

As far as washing your face and hands, most internet webpages stated just plain soap and water. I have yet to find any anti-virus soap.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:22 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree with using the sun. If there is no sun, put it in your dryer. The heat should kill the virus...
... except that the plastic frames of glasses and electronic items like drones would get destroyed by heat inside the dryer.

On the other hand, the sun UV ray will kill germs and viruses without the heat.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-12-2020, 01:02 AM   #96
gone traveling

Quote:
FYI, The only EPA registered product that I have found that can kill the coronavirus is the hospital grade century Q wipes.....

https://multi-clean.com/wp-content/u...ec12-16-19.pdf

I also read that lysol spray should be OK to use and more readily available ..... but lysol is not EPA registered to kill coronavirus.
except... probably not.

Persistence of coronaviruses on inanimate surfaces and its inactivation with biocidal
agents
Günter Kampf, Daniel Todt, Stephanie Pfaender, Eike Steinmann
PII: S0195-6701(20)30046-3
DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.022
Reference: YJHIN 5905
To appear in: Journal of Hospital Infection
Received Date: 31 January 2020

https://sci-hub.tw/10.1016/j.jhin.2020.01.022

online:
https://www.journalofhospitalinfecti...046-3/fulltext
Old 02-12-2020, 05:15 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Wow, this is an interesting discussion.

I would have preferred to get the answer: "NO". Instead the CDC talks cautiously.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:44 AM   #98

If it remains on cold surfaces, maybe just take it out of the packaging, put it in front of a heater fan, then wash your hands. But until there are cases of infections from goods, I think it's a bit extreme to go through some of the actions suggested above.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:54 AM   #99

Quote:

Timely questions, as I've just been notified that a package shipped from China on Dec. 23rd is finally being delivered today. According to the following article:

Scientists Predict Coronavirus May Live For Up To Nine Days On Surfaces

Quote:
In summary, the chances of coronavirus being in any packages is quite small and even then, the chance of a large amount of virus would need to be sent to be a danger to the recipient, which seems very unlikely. Despite this, is there anything people can do to minimize their risk if they receive packages from China and are concerned?

“If you are worried about this, you should leave the letter or package for 5 days beginning on the date of sending, the theoretical risk should have passed at that time,” said Kampf.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:55 AM   #100

The experts tell us that washing our hands in soap and water is much more effective than hand sanitizers. That tells me I would wash the glasses with soap and water. The alcohol and other chemicals mentioned here, are too aggressive to wash my glasses with. Even if the chemicals don't attack the frames or the lenses themselves, lens coatings might be affected. I wouldn't take that chance.
Closed Thread