Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2020, 02:28 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I do not watch TV. Is the show still on? If not, was this the cause?
It is still on, but we don't watch anymore.

I speak of a rather famous episode from I think 1993, when we watched. I posted a screen shot earlier. In the episode, there was a virus outbreak in Springfield because Homer ordered something from Asia. When he opened the box, the "Osaka Flu" infected him.

It was all humorous at the time. In retrospect, it is eerily disturbing!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2020, 02:30 PM   #162
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post

I speak of a rather famous episode from I think 1993, when we watched. I posted a screen shot earlier. In the episode, there was a virus outbreak in Springfield because Homer ordered something from Asia. When he opened the box, the "Osaka Flu" infected him.

Is this it?

https://youtu.be/hqCVB0tOSVQ
Old 02-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
That's it!

Old 02-18-2020, 02:37 PM   #164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I was joking about Simpson died and that ended the show.

I saw a clip of that episode that someone posted earlier. Yes, it was funny, even if not realistic.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #165
Moderator Emeritus

^ I didn't want to be like Homer.

https://youtu.be/J2kOQsJAi_Y
Old 02-18-2020, 03:35 PM   #166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was joking about Simpson died and that ended the show.
I'm frequently joke impaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

You set a high standard. My kevlar throw away doesn't have a hoodie. Now what?

Old 02-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #167
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm frequently joke impaired.

You set a high standard. My kevlar throw away doesn't have a hoodie. Now what?
Just don't rub your head against anything.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:31 PM   #168
Full time employment: Posting here.

Update from my wife who has relatives in China...her statements:

1. The official numbers of deaths and infections are way under the real numbers. This is based on "word of mouth" from Chinese citizens who do not "trust" the Chinese government on telling the truth (That sounds familiar). When I mentioned to her that the official death toll is under 2,000, she stated the actual death toll is probably closer to two or three times that number based on what the Chinese citizens believe in China.

2. A close friend of my wife had 3 deaths in the family and this is in Northern China near North Korea. Many people who are sick refused to go to the hospital for fear of contacting the disease and therefore many people have died in their homes. These deaths may not be counted.

3. Some people are returning to the factories fully masked and wearing tyrek suits and disposible gloves. The separation between each worker is about 5 meters. Supervisors are communicating by video cameras with speakers. There are numerous lunch shifts to allow a similar separation in the lunch room. The lunch room, bathrooms, and the factory areas are being sprayed constantly with disinflectant. People are simply staying away from each other.

4. Chinese people are hoping warmer weather will help control the virus.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #169
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Thanks for posting.

I feel really sorry for the Chinese citizenry to live and work under this condition. Just imagine myself among the cruise passengers is tough enough.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 02-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post

Wow. You surely took precaution.

However, I would wipe the parts more meticulously, so as to not miss any spot.

Oh well, that's a lot more than I did when receiving my order. I opened the package with bare hands, then remembered about the virus. So, I just left the content outside, exposed to sunlight for an afternoon, and went washed my hand.

That package was shipped on Jan 25, which was early. I have another package which was processed and shipped by the vendor on Feb 14. I will be a bit more careful, and handle it more gingerly when airing it to the sun.

Old 02-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where is this hospital?

In Wuhan, more than 500 medical staff have been infected. A senior doctor who is a neurosurgeon and director at a large hospital in Wuhan just died of the virus.
The hospital is in Kanagawa Prefecture in Japan. A woman in her 80s in Japan died after contracting the coronavirus (the first and only case of death in Japan so far). The nurse who took care of this woman contracted the virus most likely from her. Unlike the medical staff in Wuhan who deal with multiple coronavirus patients, this hospital had no other coronavirus patients but this old woman. I don't know how this nurse caught the virus as I imagine she was properly dressed to protect herself being a nurse and all, but this virus is so contagious that even the smallest mistake could get you infected, I think, maybe via contaminated surfaces, or something else. The sick woman had pneumonia, so I imagine she had a respirator on and it's not like she could sneeze or cough and the droplets will fly all over the place?? I have no idea. I'm no expert...

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200217_32/
Old 02-18-2020, 11:30 PM   #172
Give me a forum ...

^^^ Thanks for sharing.

The virus appears to be highly contagious in some cases, and yet not in others. For example, about the 83-year-old American woman passenger on the Westerdam who was found to be infected, her husband has been tested twice, and the results still showed negative.

However, this woman was asymptomatic until she reached Kuala Lumpur, then had a fever and started to cough. So, was it the coughing is what caused the virus to spread, and she was not coughing when quarantined on the ship with her husband? If so, then how did she contract it herself?

I saw somewhere a doctor in Wuhan saying that he believed he got infected via his eyes. A cough droplet could land on your eyes, the same way as it getting inhaled.

Old 02-19-2020, 03:02 AM   #173
Give me a forum ...

Incubation period can be as short as 2 days, apparently.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:25 PM   #174

Interesting article about how markets are not properly assessing the impact to global economy.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.axi...213d28824.html

I read somewhere that when facts no longer matter, it’s a bubble.

The markets are not properly valuing risk and as such I would say this definitely qualifies as a bubble based on that metric.

This isn’t just about coronavirus either. We are basically in an environment where bad news doesn’t effect pricing of equities.

I fear this will end badly.

Just rebalanced a bit more within my ips.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:38 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post
Interesting article about how markets are not properly assessing the impact to global economy.

The markets are not properly valuing risk and as such I would say this definitely qualifies as a bubble based on that metric.

This isn’t just about coronavirus either. We are basically in an environment where bad news doesn’t effect pricing of equities.

I guess you never know...I thought TSLA was expensive at $200. It's now over $900.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:15 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

It is hard to tell when the market is irrational, or when it "knows" something you don't.

That's what makes it interesting.

And when you have a lot of your own money at stake, it makes spectator sports so boring by comparison.

Old 02-19-2020, 02:35 PM   #177
Give me a forum ...

I remember the market before the mortgage implosion, home prices were not supported by buyer's incomes. Greenspan claimed that those mortgage bonds were no problem because rating firms had checked them out. SURE!!

Then back in the 80s, I don't recall what we held but I sold all our equities before that bubble popped. We sat on cash for at least six months.

I agree the market isn't pricing in risk.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:54 PM   #178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachOrCity View Post

Threw 2% over to Intermediate Treasuries to knock my 57% Equities to the 55% guideline.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:19 PM   #179

Remember in late 1999 we had all those earnings warnings? I don’t know the specific regulation but I am seeing a bunch of warnings of material changes and it is only 1/2 way thru the quarter.

Not good.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:24 PM   #180
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Threw 2% over to Intermediate Treasuries to knock my 57% Equities to the 55% guideline.
Actually ended up going 5.5% to Int. Tsy, so equities now at 51% and still within my bands.
Worked out for 1 day today.