Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live And Learn View Post
Interesting. How do you know when to get back in ?
When it stops going down There are lots of sites or you can calculate yourself basic support levels in the market... when they hit those targets, the market either pushes through those levels and keeps going in the direction it was going or it stops and reverses direction. Since there are so many technical traders out there and automated trading, the support levels are a pretty good basis to find entry/exit points. I use those as the basis of when sell or buy.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am somewhat overinvested in oil and gas, and since the commodities got clobbered, have not come back and could easily go lower, the stocks have not come all the way back either. And of course, they could easily go lower too. I only sold a bit back in the summer when they were very high, because I had large gains and realizing them would have pushed my taxes pretty high, so I am not going to sell any now either. I would have sold more this summer had I not already sold other stock earlier in the year, before the oil issue run-up.

I think that unless we have an easy winter natural gas may perform reasonably well, but oil seems to be pretty weak, and it will go down until it comes back up, at least somewhat. It seems that demand is not what it was projected to be, and of course unconventional oil has also upset the supply applecart.

Cést la vie!
Old 11-25-2014, 10:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Options View Post
I honestly didn't know a correction had occurred. The market has been up and down all year. I rebalance in January regardless of what the market has done.

My favorite word used by MM is "unexpected". Isn't it all unexpected?

As discussed in an earlier thread. We did not have a market correction. Just volatility that some folks with shorter memories regarding the markets ups and downs had quickly forgot about.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-25-2014, 11:22 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Our portfolio reached a new high a few days ago. I just added a few thousand dollars to my international equity fund during the pullback because my allocation to international fell well below target, but that's it.

Because of DW's stock options, our portfolio has been bouncing up and down tremendously recently, enough to completely obscure the volatility in the stock market.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 05:53 AM   #25

Just watch, there will be another pullback right before those wall streeters get those fat bonus checks. Coming soon in 2015!
Old 11-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

I missed it. That correction? happened between dates that I checked my portfolio. My balance a couple weeks after the correction was a little higher than the balance before.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just retired in early August, so I will admit I was starting to get a little nervous. I had been laid off during the 08/09 market decline and was concerned it could be a repeat. Thankfully that wasn't the case. I didn't sell back then or during the recent "blip".

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-26-2014, 09:36 AM   #28

I had to sell a bit to cover living expenses. Along with the drop I had a computer virus earlier in the month that made me nervous to login to Fido until I was sure it was resolved. That resulted in my cash in hand going to close to not covering expenses. It did show me that I do need to keep more cash in the AA than a 1 percent average for my comfort level and to keep some of that cash local.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 11-26-2014, 09:40 AM   #29

OK, I will admit to panicking somewhat. I thought I had to "do something". All that talk about the S and P and the moving 200 day average is what worked on me. Convinced that the bottom was dropping out, I sold SOME of my equities in one of my 401K's and moved the money into cash. It was at the very lowest day of the drop, of course, I think 10/15/2014.

Once I had the emotional catharsis of "doing something" in that 401K, I somehow allowed myself to "do nothing" with two other 401K's that I have. I left their allocations alone, and avoided losing any money in those.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
OK, I will admit to panicking somewhat. I thought I had to "do something". All that talk about the S and P and the moving 200 day average is what worked on me. Convinced that the bottom was dropping out, I sold SOME of my equities in one of my 401K's and moved the money into cash. It was at the very lowest day of the drop, of course, I think 10/15/2014.

Once I had the emotional catharsis of "doing something" in that 401K, I somehow allowed myself to "do nothing" with two other 401K's that I have. I left their allocations alone, and avoided losing any money in those.
I'm a tournament chess player and one of the fundamental ideas in chess improvement is to always review our games and identify what we could have done better so that the next time we don't repeat the same mistakes.

I think the same idea should be applied to any pursuit where one's decision making affects performance, EG managing our portfolios.

Kudos to you for doing that.
AnIntentionalRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
All that talk about the S and P and the moving 200 day average is what worked on me.
If you had chanced upon Mark Hulbert's column before you sold, you may very well have treated the S&P500 falling below its 200 day moving average as an extremely strong buy signal. His column from October 14 indicates that since 1990 the market has trounced its average performance measured over the four and 13 week periods following a 200 day MA sell signal.

What breaking the 200-day moving average for stocks really means - MarketWatch

Another option, of course, is to treat all such signals as mere noise that doesn't help at all in making sound investment decisions.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Build a margin of confidence into the signal. For example, this chart shows VFINX with 2.5 SD built on either side of the 200SMA. If your plan specified such, you would not sell until NAV pierced the lower channel.
VFINX - SharpCharts Workbench - StockCharts.com
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 02:39 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I just retired about 6 months ago. I realized that the bull market has been going on for 4-5 years, longer than the previous bull. I've been to at least 2 bad bear markets in the past. I knew the pain. My equity investment has gained a lot thru the years. I cannot afford to lose much of what I gained. Upon much study, I learned that the Schiller PE is 25, and the VIX is low. Warren Buffet's
assessment of Equity income/ GDP is 50% overvalued. Market goes into cycles, we all know that.
I sold my biggest gainers, which in realized gain is about 5 years of living expenses. It's nice to have the money right where I want it.
When do I know when to get back in.? I don't. What if it continue to go up. I'll wait. What if there is a major correction of more than 20%. Then, I am validated. I'll go in gradually on the upswing. I have been a buy an hold for 30 years. I know the market goes into cycles, but goes up. I just don't want to regret a big lost. This time, I'm a classic buy low and sell high.
Birchwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:23 PM   #34

Whenever people talk about technical analysis, my mind always goes back to --

Caro’s Roulette System #1
First, never bet simply red or black. Also don’t bet odd or even. These are equally poor, consistently losing wagers.
Second, don’t be suckered into betting zero or double zero, despite what some experts may suggest. This may seem like you’re betting with the house, but for technical reasons you are actually betting against the house — and you are taking the worst of it.
So, in order to negate the house advantage, you MUST stick to straight non-green number bets. All odd red numbers turn out to be bad choices, based on over two trillion computer trials. Don’t bet them.
All even black numbers fair poorly, and cannot be bet, for much the same reason, which I won’t explain here.
Let’s get straight to the money-saving advice. Any bet you decide to make MUST cover only even-red or odd-black numbers. There are no exceptions.
Finally, you need to be very disciplined in excluding the number 30 and the group of consecutive numbers that begins with 11 and continues clockwise through and including 14.
This system may seem mystical, but I take gambling quite seriously, and this works for me.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote