Join Early Retirement Today

Cost Basis Changes
Old 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cost Basis Changes

I took gains this year from my taxable account I just opened about a year and a half ago from Vanguard. I don't understand why these gains were subtracted from my cost basis. Can someone enlighten me on the mechanics of taxable accounts and changes in cost basis. I am new to these types of accounts as I have always only held most of money in tax deferred.
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #2

It sounds like you may be automatically reinvesting dividends and gains.
Each and every share of a fund that you own has a basis. If you sold shares to "take gains", then the total basis in the fund is reduced by the basis of the shares sold.

Determining the basis of shares sold is probably a different topic.

When you do automatic reinvestment of dividends and gains, it is best to think of a reinvestment transaction as being paid a dividend or gain, and then immediately using that dividend or gain to purchase more shares because that is precisely what is happening. Those new shares have their own basis.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #3

If we are to read this literally, "these gains were subtracted from my cost basis", then it seems that when the sell order was placed it was placed with a "last in first out" directive, or somehow that was the effect of the order placed, and the share price hadn't varied (so the gains were essentially all dividends). Just a guess though. Do you recall how you configured the sell order?
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #4

I believe Vanguard is using average cost to figure my basis. I have been taking dividends as income. I just recently sold some shares to add to my income because they were above my initial investment and will be able to get them at 0% for tax purposes because I am in the 15% bracket.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #5

Look on the sell confirmation, it will say what cost basis was used.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Let's say you bought $10,000 worth over time. Before the sale, say it was worth $12,500. If you sold $2,500, you can't skim the gains off the top and leave the basis as $10,000, if that's what you are thinking. Instead, if they used average cost, you liquidated 1/5 of your holdings, so they would reduce the basis by 1/5 of the original basis, or $2000. So, the sale of $2500 had a basis of $2000 and a gain of $500. Your remaining $10,000 has a basis of $8000.

And if some of the shares were purchased in the last 12 months, that fraction would be a short term capital gains (someone correct me if that's wrong) which you don't want because it'll be at your 15% rate, not 0%.

Does that help?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 AM   #7

Understood. Thank you for your input everyone.