Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-14-2016, 09:40 PM   #221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I got my card today and went online for the confirming. It just seems like they are cutting it close.
We'll probably crash their site when we can finally go online to register our accounts.
We got our cards a while ago, but we set them aside to activate Jun 20 - that's how we interpreted the instructions.

I was at Costco today, and a rep (Costco or Citi?) was meeting people at the door asking if they'd received their new cards. I said yes, but we were holding them until Jun 20. She said 'the letter wasn't worded well, and we'd like you to activate your card ASAP. You can't use it until Jun 20, but you can activate as soon as you get it.'

Sounds like they're trying to avoid an activation "crash" and too many new cardholders were/are waiting like we were.

So we activated this morning, though we couldn't set up autopay or other account features (yet)...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 10:12 PM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There's little you can do with the new cards but activate them. We've had our cards for 2-3 weeks. We've also had a Costco membership since before we were married. I called them a week ago, because DW's card came with her maiden name. They told me to call back after the 20th. They can't do anything before then.

I probably shouldn't tell DW. She might decide to keep it.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:38 AM   #223
Recycles dryer sheets

We have 2 cards, one for me and another for DW. I would like to get a third for DS. Haven't figured that out yet. I think they will want $100 for this and I would be willing to pay that if I must, just can't find the verbiage on their website on how to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
OrcasIslandBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:30 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We got our cards a while ago, but we set them aside to activate Jun 20 - that's how we interpreted the instructions.

I was at Costco today, and a rep (Costco or Citi?) was meeting people at the door asking if they'd received their new cards. I said yes, but we were holding them until Jun 20. She said 'the letter wasn't worded well, and we'd like you to activate your card ASAP. You can't use it until Jun 20, but you can activate as soon as you get it.'

Sounds like they're trying to avoid an activation "crash" and too many new cardholders were/are waiting like we were.

So we activated this morning, though we couldn't set up autopay or other account features (yet)...
The letter that came with my card said to "Go to citi.com/CostcoSetup to confirm receipt of this card" I had to enter some info so they would know it was me. After entering that info, it said the card was ready to use on June 20th. You have to go online on or after June 20th to register/login to change anything on your account, like mobile apps, banking info. Don't remember the exact wording on the web site. I thought the letter with the card was worded well, It says "Follow these important steps" "1. Go to citi.com..."

Regarding adding someone to your account, I wanted to add my sister but they said she had to have the same address as me.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #225
Give me a forum ...

My card has been 'active' for a few weeks. What a pain! The little CC keeps jumping up and down every time I pass Costco saying "I do it! Use Me! Me Too!" I keep stuffing him back into my wallet but he leaps out again and again. I fear the little CC may get violent if he finds out he's not on Apple Pay.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #226
Give me a forum ...

Hopefully, Costco will have plenty of extra help available for all the people who show up expecting to get in and spend their money with the old Amex card.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 09:11 AM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Hopefully, Costco will have plenty of extra help available for all the people who show up expecting to get in and spend their money with the old Amex card.

They should still be able to get in then spend their money with any Visa card.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:27 AM   #228
Give me a forum ...

So the new Visa has high rebate categories but the points can only be used for Costco purchases, not statement credits, right?
explanade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
So the new Visa has high rebate categories but the points can only be used for Costco purchases, not statement credits, right?
In February, you receive a voucher for last year's cash back total amount. It can only be cashed out in a Costco warehouse, but you can cash it out for cash or spend it on Costco stuff or a combination or the two. You cannot automatically have it applied as a credit to your Visa balance.
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 11:55 AM   #230

Quote:
I assume it'll work like before and I don't see anything on the Citi.com page that says otherwise. We always have taken the check("coupon") and cashed it at Costco.

Quote:
Your February 2017 cash back rewards coupon from Citi will include cash back rewards earned on your Costco card from American Express during 2016 that were not previously distributed to you by American Express.
Sounds to me like the process will be the same.
mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 02:06 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

OK! Our Citi Costco cards finally arrived!!!
Old 06-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I always take it in cash. That way I can use a credit card for all Costco purchases for the rewards.

No - can't be applied toward statement credit.
Old 06-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #233

Just to make life more interesting............found this by accident today.....
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cred...lubs-end-year/

If you use the Chase Freedom VISA at Costco you get 5% rewards (vs 2% for the new Citi Costco card)......for the rest of this yr anyway. Limit of $1500 spending/quarter else back to 1%. One rep told me it doesn't cover Costco gas. If anyone checks w/ them, please post confirmation (or not). Since you get 4% for gas w/ the Citi Costco card, it seems high risk to use Chase Freedom for that unless actual fact is known for sure (maybe make a test purchase and see what happens).

I'm assuming the 2% on Costco purchases for being Executive member continues regardless of how you pay?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #234
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I always take it in cash. That way I can use a credit card for all Costco purchases for the rewards.

Likewise and I learned that here. As it's not high math, you'd think members here would be smart enough to figure that out on their own. At least in my case, you'd be wrong...
UpAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Just to make life more interesting............found this by accident today.....
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/cred...lubs-end-year/

If you use the Chase Freedom VISA at Costco you get 5% rewards (vs 2% for the new Citi Costco card)......for the rest of this yr anyway. Limit of $1500 spending/quarter else back to 1%. One rep told me it doesn't cover Costco gas. If anyone checks w/ them, please post confirmation (or not). Since you get 4% for gas w/ the Citi Costco card, it seems high risk to use Chase Freedom for that unless actual fact is known for sure (maybe make a test purchase and see what happens).

I'm assuming the 2% on Costco purchases for being Executive member continues regardless of how you pay?
Yes, the 2% executive membership rebate is independent of the payment method and any credit card rewards.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:56 PM   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpAnchor View Post
Likewise and I learned that here. As it's not high math, you'd think members here would be smart enough to figure that out on their own. At least in my case, you'd be wrong...

Go figure. I didn't think of this either. Looks like I'll be redeeming for cash in the future.

Thanks Audrey.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:03 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

We use so little cash that with the Costco Executive rebate in Jan, and the cash rewards from the Costco Amex rewards in Feb, we haven't been to the ATM machine yet this year!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:28 PM   #238

wait for it, wait for it.... must be alphabetical.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #239
Give me a forum ...

Don't think so. H is not far down.

You've still got 4 days.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:11 AM   #240

I have been trying to find out if there is a definitive date that Fidelity plans to cancel their FIA AMEX cards, and the only information I can find on their web site is this:

What if I already have a Fidelity Rewards Credit Card issued by FIA Card Services®?
If you have a Fidelity Rewards Credit Card, you can continue to enjoy the features and benefits associated with that card. If you would like information about rates, fees, other costs and benefits, please call an FIA Card Services® representative at 877-811-7088.

So does this mean if you already have one you can keep it, or has someone else found information suggesting a definitive termination date?
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote