Costco AMEX Replacement Card

Last edited:
I received the mailing as well. Today, I accepted AMEX's offer of the Blue Cash Everyday card (with $300 credit) because I do like AMEX for many things. I also am cancelling my United Airlines Visa as miles earned on that horrible airline are not worth anything to me.

No, I expect to receive the card in May according to one of the recent links posted above. The Citi link?
Yes, the link. Also I think it is on the Costco blog and in the letter sent to all members.

- Rita

If the old Amex cards didn't have chips, maybe the new Citi cards will.

And there's a liability shift, though I don't know if it applies to warehouse stores.

Gas stations got exemptions for the liability shift for a couple more years and they are among the most targeted for hackers trying to skim credit cards.

If the old Amex cards didn't have chips, maybe the new Citi cards will.

And there's a liability shift, though I don't know if it applies to warehouse stores.

Gas stations got exemptions for the liability shift for a couple more years and they are among the most targeted for hackers trying to skim credit cards.

Yes, the new Citi card will have a chip. The image on the link shows it.

Many retailers are ignoring the liability shift right now.

You should all be getting/have gotten a mailer from Costco about the new rewards and to expect the new card in May.

This new Citi card looks like it's going to be my go to card for most US purchases. 3% on hotels and restaurants will be really nice - I wish I had it to take on my upcoming trip!

In fact, it's making me reconsider my whole current credit card strategy as now I have higher reward opportunities than my current Fidelity AMEX 2% on everything card (soon also to convert to VISA).

I'm also pondering signing up for the American Express Blue Preferred card for the 6% on groceries and 3% at major department. They have a promotion running right now for folks who sign up by Jun 15, 2016 for 10% rewards on purchases at the main US cellphone providers, including cellphone bills, through the end of 2016. I have an iPhone SE to order, and we have T-mobile bills to pay for the rest of the year.

I was mulling whether I wanted to deal with another card, but with the Costco Amex going away, this might work as a replacement. The cellphone rewards has made me look again.

My other rewards cards may be put away, except for international travel (where BofA Travel Rewards card reigns supreme unless I need a card with PIN, and PenFed VISA (have PIN) and United Chase VISA are no-transcation-fee backups). The Fidelity 2% card will be good for non-Amazon online purchases and the few places that Citi or Amex Blue revert to 1%. I use the United VISA for car rental as the primary insurance is worth the cash reward I'll give up, and I do at least get miles. Not sure I'll even bother with the PenFed VISA unless traveling, since the Citi card gives 4%. We just don't buy that much gas every month and usually at Costco.

Last edited:
Got mine today too. I hope I receive this card in May because I won't be here in June and would like to use it on my traveling. I'm thinking of cutting a few credit cards off now that I've harvested all the reward points. I just keep Pen Fed VISA and this. I'm not sure I will keep the Sapphire card either.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Are you getting the mailer from Costco or Citi? I haven't received mine and unfortunately, do not receive mailings from Costco, except the yearly bill, even though I have made numerous calls over the past year. I've given up.

Are you getting the mailer from Costco or Citi? I haven't received mine and unfortunately, do not receive mailings from Costco, except the yearly bill, even though I have made numerous calls over the past year. I've given up.
The mailer I got a few days ago came from Costco. It said to expect a new card from Citi in May.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Received from Citi today a new mailer with dates and details:

4% on Gas, anywhere in the world
3% Restaurants and eligible travel purchases
2% at Costco and Costco.com
1% everything else

In April, Citi will send more info about the transfer
In May, the card will be mailed
In June, begin using 6/20

- Rita

We got the mailer from Costco at the beginning of April giving an overview of the new Costco VISA. This was in a hard fold-out envelope that contained some more postcard sized bits.

Citi sent out a large (1/2 sheet sized) envelope with several folded pages about the Costco card in the past couple of weeks. Did anyone here receive it yet? A couple of neighbors got it recently. I know because one of them was in our box by accident.

We didn't get this recent one. I expected it to be in our held mail that we picked up a couple of weeks ago, but it's a no show.

Yep got both. Into the recycle bin they went. Nothing in the Citi mailer that we didn't already know.

This card charges foreign transaction fee.

There are few no annual fee cards which do not charge FTF.

There are few no annual fee cards which do not charge FTF.

But there are a handful of good ones. My fave is the Bank of America Travel Rewards because I get 1.5% (actually 1.65%) back on all purchases and no FTF. I use it heavily when traveling overseas. In the US I have 2% cards I prefer.

PenFed also has a no annual fee, no FTF chip and PIN card - Cash Rewrds VISA with 5% off gas, no other rewards. But it's handy in Europe when you need to use a PIN.

Last edited:
B
PenFed also has a no annual fee, no FTF chip and PIN card - Cash Rewrds VISA with 5% off gas, no other rewards.

Mine gives 3 points for groceries.

By the way its points not percent on my card. How one uses the points determines the percent. But, I never have got a point to equal 1%.

I have British Airways, PenFed, and I think Cuase Sapphire. But I have to check before I go to Europe.

Mine gives 3 points for groceries.

By the way its points not percent on my card. How one uses the points determines the percent. But, I never have got a point to equal 1%.

Mine really is percent, not points, which is why I chose it. I get it as statement credit each month. I looked at the points cards, and when converted to cash it's lower.

I got the Citi mailer today. Two features that the new card does not have are the double warranty and one year loss/theft protection. My 55" tv died after 15 months. The one year manufacturer's warranty expired, but Amex refunded the full purchase price. While on vacation my three month old Nikon camera was stolen, and after providing a copy of the police report, Amex refunded the purchase price.

Amex is a wonderful card as far as consumer protection. My car dealer cheated us, charged nearly $2000 to replace a water pump on an old car, it turned out they never did. I called the general manager at Ford, he basically low balled me, he wanted to give me $400. I called American Express and they eventually refunded the whole amount. This happened on multiple occasions.

Back
Top Bottom