Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I just accompanied my wife to Costco so she could spend the AmEx reward worth near $300. Just recently, looking at my Quicken screen I realized that the Costco membership cost us $119. That's pretty steep, and I did not think that we would spend enough to get that much kickback, particularly in recent years when we shopped for groceries at Costco less and less due to being empty nesters.

My wife takes care of recurrent bills and card rewards, so I just let her choose what she said made sense for us. We still have another year to see what to do about the AmEx/Costco separation.
You don't have to spend it, you know. You can just get cash back.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
I always cash those in, including the Costco rebate. That way I get the rewards on the spending! They always ask if I want to apply the reward against my bill and I graciously decline.
+1
Old 02-15-2015, 04:03 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

What I want to know is details of the deal they make with the replacement card issuer. Give me the skinny!
Old 02-15-2015, 04:38 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I read an article a few years ago that compared a Costco shopper to a Sam's Club shopper. (Sorry I don't remember where...). One thing that was pointed out was that a Costco shopper would see a Cashmere sweater for $40 and realize that it was a great deal, but a Sam's Club shopper wouldn't buy a $40 sweater --they are looking for $8 sweaters.

Even though our kids have moved out, DH and I still frequent Costco. We get a lot of things there. I recently switched to "natural" peanut butter and found Kirkland brand to be the best deal. Of course it takes me six months to go through the two large jars...
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
You don't have to spend it, you know. You can just get cash back.
My wife takes care of things like that reward check, and perhaps she did know. However, I think she thinks of that money as "freebie", and wants to splurge on something. I only come along to carry the "stuff". I did mention several times that she did not have to spend it all, but she kept saying she had enough cash on hand, but not enough "stuff". Women!

Still, next year I will mention to her that she can splurge with that check, but to present it after paying for the purchase. She would not pass up the couple of extra bucks, once she reflects on this.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Costco announced that the new credit card deal will be with CITI for a co-branded VISA card. The new card will start in April 2016. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/costc...133636171.html
gromit is offline   Reply With Quote