costs to retire "comfortably" in each state

I find that article silly because it appears many people are living fine at the median income.

Just for the record, Tricare isn't free. It's darn close, but it does cost something.

With due respect, ANY health care costs (a lot!) Who pays is the only real question (no political intent here - just sayin', so YMM.)

Just for the record, Tricare isn't free. It's darn close, but it does cost something.

Not being eligible for any of the US's socialized medical plans, I was wondering if they converted to Medicare after 65. So do folk who qualify for VA, Tricare, Medicaid or whatever have a premium shock when they get to 65 and are forced to go on medicare? Or so those programs continue ad-infinitum. If so that could be quite a financial shock.

Not being eligible for any of the US's socialized medical plans, I was wondering if they converted to Medicare after 65. So do folk who qualify for VA, Tricare, Medicaid or whatever have a premium shock when they get to 65 and are forced to go on medicare? Or so those programs continue ad-infinitum. If so that could be quite a financial shock.

Once you are 65, Medicare kicks in and you have to pay into part B to keep Tricare (which becomes a supplement). For most folks, they will pay more for part B than they pay for Tricare prior to turning 65. It is a bit more, but still cheaper than most plans.

Plus I imagine that the cost for Tricare will continue to increase so that those that are still w*rking age will eventually pay more than it will cost to be on Medicare.

VA healthcare is it's own thing and care under the VA continues without having to sign up for part b Medicare. The warn against that because there are no guarantees that the law won't change and if you sign up for part b after a certain period (after turning 65) you would have to pay a penalty.

Last edited:
With due respect, ANY health care costs (a lot!) Who pays is the only real question (no political intent here - just sayin', so YMM.)

I am not sure what you are trying to imply as my point was that the cost to the person who is insured isn't FREE as was asked by Teacher Terry. So, "who" pays wasn't the question I was addressing. :blush:

I am 60. I am eligible for VA and for Tricare.

When I turned 60, I called my regional Tricare underwriter and asked them what the procedure is. As I reach 65, I will automatically qualify for Medicare part-B, which I will need to verify proper enrollment.

I will still be eligible for VA, though what they will treat changes. Currently, the VA will only treat injuries that were documented during my Active Duty service. Once I am over 65, then the VA will consider treating all ailments.

I will also still be eligible for Tricare.

The V.A. [US Veteran's Administration] treats Veterans who served in the US military.

Tricare handles US Servicemembers and their families, both those on Active Duty and those who have 'retired' and who are still obligated to respond should our nation need them for another war.

The VA and Tricare are part of the benefits made available to US servicemembers and former servicemembers.

Retired military certainly deserve Tricare.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. I have John Hopkins US Family Plan (USFHP) through Tricare. I was told and their site confirms that it would be best to sign up at 65 for plan B in the event I move out out of the USFHP coverage area to avoid any penalty. Looking at their current coverage area, I don't envision ever moving out of the coverage area. Why is there any incentive to pay more for something I don't ever see happening? School me. :)

"Hawaii: $117,724.18." If your home is paid off, and not more than $1M, then this seems over the top 'comfortable' to me. Without vacations, living in a 800 sf condo, we live on $40K per year for a couple. We have one car and two bicycles. Guess I should start drinking champagne on a daily basis, take out a new luxury car loan, and travel more, lol. Point is, what's comfortable varies quite a bit, depending on your desired comfort level. We have a pool, sauna, jacuzzi, and bbq area at my condo. I can bike to town. I pay $0 for heating, and $0 for air conditioning. If I bumped up to the budget listed, I'd either need to do extensive travel, or buy a $1M+ house and get another mortgage!

"Hawaii: $117,724.18." If your home is paid off, and not more than $1M, then this seems over the top 'comfortable' to me. Without vacations, living in a 800 sf condo, we live on $40K per year for a couple. We have one car and two bicycles. Guess I should start drinking champagne on a daily basis, take out a new luxury car loan, and travel more, lol. Point is, what's comfortable varies quite a bit, depending on your desired comfort level. We have a pool, sauna, jacuzzi, and bbq area at my condo. I can bike to town. I pay $0 for heating, and $0 for air conditioning. If I bumped up to the budget listed, I'd either need to do extensive travel, or buy a $1M+ house and get another mortgage!

There are places that would be HCOL, perhaps VHCOL while still working (e.g., high state/local income taxes) that are perfectly reasonable once retired w/ a paid-off home (e.g. pension income exempt from state income tax)

I know Hawaii has dirt-cheap property tax rates for the U.S....how do they tax SS, public/privte pensions?

I know Hawaii has dirt cheap property tax rates for the U.S....how do they tax SS, public/privte pensions?
Hawaii taxes capital gains as ordinary income, along with the employee contribution to qualified investments. Employer contributions to qualified plans are not taxed (e.g., company match to the 401(k).

"Hawaii entirely exempts some types of retirement income (including Social Security retirement benefits and public pension income) but fully taxes income from private pensions and retirement savings accounts."

Hawaii taxes capital gains as ordinary income, along with the employee contribution to qualified investments. Employer contributions to qualified plans are not taxed (e.g., company match to the 401(k).

"Hawaii entirely exempts some types of retirement income (including Social Security retirement benefits and public pension income) but fully taxes income from private pensions and retirement savings accounts."

Also: "Private employer-funded pension plans that employees did not contribute to are exempt." https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/reti...x.php/index.php?map=&state_id=12&state=Hawaii

So, a great place to retire, especially for those mostly relying on a pension.

My FIRE budget is $22,000 at age 55 and projected to be $24,000 at 65 to pay required expenses (in today's dollars), so any money spent beyond those figures is discretionary, so $30,000 total would be very comfortable and plenty to enjoy some of the extras in life, which is more discretionary than I have spent in years.

The article says I need almost $60,000 just to be comfortable! LOL

As someone else mentioned, beyond Medicare part A is expensive. I know couples spending over $10,000/yr just on the premiums for the various Medicare parts/supplements to have sufficient coverage.

Living in SF Bay Area (Castro Valley, Alameda Co.) with no mortgage and subsidized medical insurance:

One Person:
Property tax, home ins, HOA, nominal maintenance, utilities, food, medical/dental, car ins, car maint/repairs, and gas = $29,000/yr

Add in second person: food, medical/dental and transportation = $13,000/yr

Total Essentials = $42,000/yr

Add routine spending (travel, entertainment, recreation, gifts, clothes ect.) and non-routine spending (replacing items like cars, appliances, major home repairs ect.. and buying new stuff) = $50,000/yr

Total standard of living = $92,000/yr (Very comfortable, but frugal. Can reduce spending if needed)

The CA average of $86K comes close to us.

Why not sell that paid off house and move to a nicer area? This town is the last place I would want to end up. Counting the days to departure.

Besides no decent shopping close by, the homeless druggies, and the murder/suicide 2 weeks ago Castro Valley might be a decent place to retire....Not.

Sorry Can ya tell I love living here?

I think they are hinting to all the work they did in the military. That the way I take it.

Back
Top Bottom