Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpediem View Post
Unfortunately when I answered the "why is your income lower" question, I said household expenses are going to be lower this year. Hopefully they'll realize that means lower withdrawals. But I'm still not sure what to submit by March. I'll look for that link you mentioned.
I would first try to just send a short letter. I would send it ASAP so it can be processed sooner in case they ask for more.

I would say “In 2021, our entire income will be derived from withdrawals from our Retirement savings. We have no other sources of income. Our estimated income is $60,000.”

If applicable, you could add “In previous years our income was higher because we were employed but we no longer are.” Or something comparable.

If they need a copy of your IRA statement, let them ask for it.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2020, 05:35 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
....Question: If my income is from TIRA withdrawals only, what would I be expected to send to them by March 5th? Proof of 2 months of withdrawals in 2021? I'm not clear on what type of confirmation they need.
"I am retired and my income in 2021 will be solely from withdrawals from a traditional IRA that are included in my tax return as pension income. This income is totally discretionary, but I intend to have $60,000 of pension income in 2021."

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

For a contrasting story, I found my letter from 2017. I wrote a much longer explanation, giving numbers from the 2015 return and how each was going to be lower or 0 in 2017. No CGs (in fact, a carryover loss from 2016), smaller Roth conversion, and larger HSA contribution (with the 55+ catch up). I'm sure I gave a lot more details than needed, but it's what I did.

Don't overthink it. Write something. If it's not enough, I assume they'll ask for more.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Don't overthink it. Write something. If it's not enough, I assume they'll ask for more.
I think that's my problem - overthinking it. I feel like I'm trying to cheat the system or something but I'm not. I guess I will write a letter and get it uploaded soon so that as PaunchyPirate mentioned they can ask for more if needed.

Thanks again, everyone.

Seize the day....Soli Deo gloria
Carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:23 AM   #25

Here's a draft of my letter of explanation. Thoughts?

"My wife and I are now both retired - I retired from my full-time job in July 2019. In 2020, our income was derived from withdrawals from our Retirement savings, my wife's $200 per month pension, and from a rental property. However, our rental property was destroyed in 2020 by hurricane Sally. We have no other sources of income. Our estimated income for 2021 is $60,000.”

Old 12-06-2020, 10:30 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I would just add after the $60,000... "of pension income" and leave it at that.

Being $2,400 for your wife's pension and $57,600 of tIRA withdrawals... right?

Old 12-06-2020, 10:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I would just add after the $60,000... "of pension income" and leave it at that.

Being $2,400 for your wife's pension and $57,600 of tIRA withdrawals... right?
Right but do you think the term "pension income" will confuse them since it's technically not a company pension?

Old 12-06-2020, 10:43 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I dunno, but there's a good chance that they consider tIRA withdrawals as pension income since that is they line that they show up on on your tax return.

I guess you could repharase it as something like "We expect our 2021 tax return income will be solely $60,000 of pension income." You aren't saying it is a pension, just that it is pension income.

Old 12-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right but do you think the term "pension income" will confuse them since it's technically not a company pension?
I really doubt they care or that they will follow up.

All they're trying to do is figure out if you've reasonably understood and estimated your income so that the AGI you calculate is reasonably likely to be in the ballpark when you reconcile on your taxes. They don't want to overpay subsidies for you, because they may not get them all repaid (there are repayment limitations at the bottom of Form 8962). And they want you to get the subsidies you're entitled to during the year to help you out.

Once they have assured themselves of that (which I am 99.9% sure that they will with your letter), they could care less to know any more information, details, backstory, or anything else about your income.

Everyone I've ever heard talk about this gets worried about it the first year they sign up, gets encouraged to write a simple letter, does so, gets approved, and says, "Wow, that wasn't that bad" or something, and then moves on with life. You're on step 3 of 6.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #30

Sounds good. IYO, is it okay to say what I did about the rental property?

It is currently gutted down to the studs and will not be rentable until mid-year. It's a short-term vacation rental condo. Of course, I don't plan on including any of that info in my letter.

Old 12-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Everyone I've ever heard talk about this gets worried about it the first year they sign up, gets encouraged to write a simple letter, does so, gets approved, and says, "Wow, that wasn't that bad" or something, and then moves on with life. You're on step 3 of 6.
Your reply makes me feel much better! And yeah, I'm really (overly) concerned about it since it's our first year using ACA. Thank you!

Old 12-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #32

Quote:
Sounds good. IYO, is it okay to say what I did about the rental property?

It is currently gutted down to the studs and will not be rentable until mid-year. It's a short-term vacation rental condo. Of course, I don't plan on including any of that info in my letter.
You can say whatever you want to say in the letter. However, my recommendation is to assume that the person reading it has a high school diploma and no financial background and 1,000 other letters to read. If you can, avoid saying anything that might be confusing to that person.

"In 2021, we will withdraw $57,600 from our IRAs and we will receive $2400 in pension income for a total of $60,000. We will have no other income." This is a complete description of your situation. It won't hurt you to explain about rental houses and hurricanes, but you really do not need to.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #33

The first year, they came back in Feb or March and asked for proof, I sent them a letter saying I was no longer working and would be living off my retirement savings and listed dividend income and estimated Roth conversion amount. I got no response so I then sent them my estimated tax return for the previous year which I had not filed since TurboTax was not ready yet. My coveredca account continued to remind me I needed to submit the proof every time I checked so so I called them and sat in hold forever but once I got a live person she pushed a button on her end and I got an approval e-mail followed by a letter. They don't need much explanation and as long as the numbers come close they won't bug you the next year.
RetiredAndLovingIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndLovingIt View Post
The first year, they came back in Feb or March and asked for proof, I sent them a letter saying I was no longer working and would be living off my retirement savings and listed dividend income and estimated Roth conversion amount. I got no response so I then sent them my estimated tax return for the previous year which I had not filed since TurboTax was not ready yet. My coveredca account continued to remind me I needed to submit the proof every time I checked so so I called them and sat in hold forever but once I got a live person she pushed a button on her end and I got an approval e-mail followed by a letter. They don't need much explanation and as long as the numbers come close they won't bug you the next year.
In hindsight, do you think sending the estimated tax return was necessary?

Old 12-08-2020, 09:29 AM   #35

Fyi, I uploaded my letter for income verification today. Below is what I sent them. Will I hear back from them on the status of the verification? Or do I need to keep checking the status online? Right now, it says my application is 'complete' but on the 'Eligibility & appeals' page, it says my eligibility is temporary until March 5 until I submit the verification information.

The following is an explanation of my 2021 annual income estimates:
As of 2020, my wife and I are both fully retired. In 2021, we will withdraw $57,600 from our IRAs and we will receive $2400 in pension income for a total of $60,000. We will have no other income. In the past we've also received some income from a rental property but that property was destroyed in 2020 by hurricane Sally.

Please let me know if you have questions or need additional information.
Thank you.

Old 12-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Fyi, I uploaded my letter for income verification today. Below is what I sent them. Will I hear back from them on the status of the verification? Or do I need to keep checking the status online? Right now, it says my application is 'complete' but on the 'Eligibility & appeals' page, it says my eligibility is temporary until March 5 until I submit the verification information.

The following is an explanation of my 2021 annual income estimates:
As of 2020, my wife and I are both fully retired. In 2021, we will withdraw $57,600 from our IRAs and we will receive $2400 in pension income for a total of $60,000. We will have no other income. In the past we've also received some income from a rental property but that property was destroyed in 2020 by hurricane Sally.

Please let me know if you have questions or need additional information.
Thank you.
It's been a few years since I went through what you're going through, but my recollection is that the state ACA people sent me a letter saying I was approved for a subsidy of $X per month.

I also had to send in the first month's (net of subsidy) premium to the insurance company.

Shortly after that point, I was able to set up autopay with the insurance company and it was smooth sailing from there.

Each year my AGI estimate and my insurance policy renew and I don't have to do anything unless I want to make a change.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #37

Quote:
It's been a few years since I went through what you're going through, but my recollection is that the state ACA people sent me a letter saying I was approved for a subsidy of $X per month.

I also had to send in the first month's (net of subsidy) premium to the insurance company.

Shortly after that point, I was able to set up autopay with the insurance company and it was smooth sailing from there.

Each year my AGI estimate and my insurance policy renew and I don't have to do anything unless I want to make a change.
Thanks, I hope mine is that easy!

Old 12-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #38

Here's an update to my signing up for ACA for the first time:

As mentioned in my last post, I uploaded a letter of explanation for income verification on Dec 8th. Based on others' comments I wasn't expecting to hear anything for awhile and figured I'd have to call them about it. But yesterday I received the email below and it looks like I'm all set. Thank you all very much for helping me through this.

Quote:
Carpediem

You recently submitted one or more documents to verify information in your application for coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.

We reviewed what you sent. Your documents verify the following information in your application:

What We Needed to Verify: Annual Household Income

Applicant Name: Carpediem

You don’t need to take any further action to resolve the issue listed above.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:33 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Well done! Congratulations!

Old 12-14-2020, 12:03 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Here's an update to my signing up for ACA for the first time:

As mentioned in my last post, I uploaded a letter of explanation for income verification on Dec 8th. Based on others' comments I wasn't expecting to hear anything for awhile and figured I'd have to call them about it. But yesterday I received the email below and it looks like I'm all set. Thank you all very much for helping me through this.
Congratulations, you just completed steps 4, 5, and 6.