Couponing

I keep an eye out for useful for coupons but don't go out of my way.

The one place it really pays off is a golf coupon book that has about 12 "buy one get one free" rounds at 7 or 8 local courses. I split the cost of 5 books with my golf buddy and estimate that my half of the $65 outlay saved me about $800 in green fees this past summer.

As far as groceries go, I log onto the grocery store's web site once in awhile and load whatever coupons are there for something that might be on our list within the expiration date. That way, if we happen to buy one of these items, we get the discount automatically when we use our shopper's card at checkout.

We often get "best customer" coupons which can be significant, and is almost always for something we regularly buy. Kind of creepy the way they track you, but the $$ off is worth it.

My late DB's ex-wife called him the King of Free, since he would take advantage of any free offer he saw. Sometimes he'd take a test drive of a new car to get something free, but since his credit was in the toilet he ran zero risk of caving in and actually buying one. Heck, he barely had enough for gas to get to the dealership and back (rest his heart).

One more note about Target’s phone app - you can use it to price check the shelf price. Frequently, I will find the shelf price to be higher than that shown in the app for “in store “ prices. Sometimes the difference is 10 cents, sometimes a couple dollars. I just show the app price to the cashier and they always make the adjustment. It ticks me off that there is a difference, seems dishonest, but at least they will adjust without any complaints.

Wally World is now doing just the opposite. As noted in

Walmart adjusts online pricing strategy | Supermarket News

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. has begun listing some items, including many food products, at higher prices on its website than it charges for buying them in its stores in an experiment to make its online operations more profitable, according to a report in the Wall Street Journal.

I've made over $100 a year with befrugal.com, but lately I've been having problems getting the credits. I'm very careful to go thru the befrugal site to get to the store site, but my last 5 purchases have not been credited. Sometimes putting in a support ticket helps, but not always, and I'm thinking the small $$ involved is not worth my time.

I use GivingAssistant. They credit almost right away and pay out monthly. I just checked my history and did not notice anything missing though I don't audit it closely, since like you it is only a $100 a year or so total. But it is an easy enough $100.

Last edited:
I use the AARP card for 15% off certain restaurant meals. Our grocery receipt usually has dry cleaning and car wash 50% off coupons on the back of it.

I buy dead people's used jewelry at a consignment jeweler. And I dicker for it.
Do they have to be dead? What if they're just really sick and need to sell off a necklace and a couple bracelets to cover their ACA copay? :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I worry about provenance a lot. And whether the jewelry could be haunted, and so on. :LOL: Beats worrying about whether I'm looking at my accounts often enough :angel:

Do they have to be dead? What if they're just really sick and need to sell off a necklace and a couple bracelets to cover their ACA copay? :)

Found a coupon that saved me some money on a drug that I take.

Saved about $6000.

Better than a kick in the groin.

I buy dead people's used jewelry at a consignment jeweler. And I dicker for it.

The funeral home is in great place to get recycled dentures too, at a terrific price.

Just try on several pairs, until you find a pair that fits.

Last edited:
Not if there's any gold in them. You have to fight the relatives for that stuff.

The funeral home is in great place to get recycled dentures too, at a terrific price.

After my consultation with the oral surgeon today, that sounds like a great idea. I wonder if any dentures are for sale on eBay or Craigslist?

I've made over $100 a year with befrugal.com, but lately I've been having problems getting the credits. I'm very careful to go thru the befrugal site to get to the store site, but my last 5 purchases have not been credited. Sometimes putting in a support ticket helps, but not always, and I'm thinking the small $$ involved is not worth my time.

EBATES seems to work flawlessly once you sign up. You just have to initiate your purchase through their site. I don't think the DW has to enter any additional information. I was doubtful when she signed up a couple of years ago. But so far so good.

FN

I'm pondering my annual Costso membership bill I received today that asks for $120 for the annual membership. Attached to that was a rebate check for $5.75. I guess we don't spend "enough" there, but I do get my prescriptions from their pharmacy. As a family of two, I just can't see the savings in that place.

Yeah, I worry about provenance a lot. And whether the jewelry could be haunted, and so on. :LOL: Beats worrying about whether I'm looking at my accounts often enough :angel:

I'm sure the money you save justifies the haunted risk... although it might give me pause if they were wearing the jewelry at the time of passing. :) I'm guessing possession would take all the fun out of retirement...

OP here. While working, I could not be bothered with coupons. I do a little bit now. Looks like even in RE, most don't mess with them. With a few exceptions for things that suit your normal purchases.

I think the former owners would be pleased that their jewelry has gone to someone who appreciates it. Rather than being melted down because it is old-fashioned.

I'm sure the money you save justifies the haunted risk... although it might give me pause if they were wearing the jewelry at the time of passing. :) I'm guessing possession would take all the fun out of retirement...

The DW initiates most online purchases through EBATES. She gets 2%-7% off many purchases. This is in addition to any coupons or other discounts that may apply. EBATES sends you a check.

We booked a hotel last week and EBATES gave us 7% back. Our credit card gives us an additional 2% back.

FN

+1 on Ebates. I use it all the time when I order stuff online. The nice part about Ebates is that the discount you get from them is in addition to any promo codes you also have for the site, as you said. Great deal.

After my consultation with the oral surgeon today, that sounds like a great idea. I wonder if any dentures are for sale on eBay or Craigslist?

Just ask the funeral home. They generally have a 5-gallon pail in the back with a few dozen pairs in it. Once you find a pair that fits, put the rest back in the pail for the next person that needs a pair.

I think the former owners would be pleased that their jewelry has gone to someone who appreciates it. Rather than being melted down because it is old-fashioned.

Yeah, but the ghosts could be upset by your haggling and haunt you. For the rest of your life. And beyond the grave even.

Could be poltergeists with evil intent.

I'm pondering my annual Costso membership bill I received today that asks for $120 for the annual membership. Attached to that was a rebate check for $5.75. I guess we don't spend "enough" there, but I do get my prescriptions from their pharmacy. As a family of two, I just can't see the savings in that place.

I think with the executive membership if you don’t earn enough with the rebate to cover membership cost they will reimburse you. If you don’t spend much go for the lower level - I think it’s less than $150

If so, they are taking a mortally (hah) long time about it. My first piece of used jewelry was purchased in 1987. No ghosts, yet. Then again, look at what's happened to the world since 1987. Could it all be my fault? :angel:

Yeah, but the ghosts could be upset by your haggling and haunt you. For the rest of your life. And beyond the grave even.

Could be poltergeists with evil intent.

I think with the executive membership if you don’t earn enough with the rebate to cover membership cost they will reimburse you. If you don’t spend much go for the lower level - I think it’s less than $150

The base level is $60. Recently got it just to buy hearing aids and the upsell at the membership counter was fierce. I'm not going to buy enough to get the other $60 or whatever would be left after the rebate for the hearing aids.

The base level is $60. Recently got it just to buy hearing aids and the upsell at the membership counter was fierce. I'm not going to buy enough to get the other $60 or whatever would be left after the rebate for the hearing aids.

Well, I suppose it's like Amazon Prime- they hope the extra $$ you pay will make you "Think Costco First" so you get your money's worth. It works for me because I nearly always have some big- ticket items such as mattresses, new furnace, DH's hearing aids, etc. where there's a massive variety of choices and lots of hype and I can trust Costco to narrow it down. Car tires likely next.

Even as a household of one, it works for me. I just have to buy only the foods that I can eat in those quantities (mostly fresh veggies) or that are frozen or canned.

Even as a household of one, it works for me. I just have to buy only the foods that I can eat in those quantities (mostly fresh veggies) or that are frozen or canned.

Household of one here too. I walked through the whole store, Wegmans app in hand, and I did find a couple things cheaper that I buy anyway. Kirkland vodka and canned chicken are both fine and substantially cheaper than 2 local discount groceries. But even most of the canned goods are not.

Thanks for the tip on big-ticket items. I was thinking electronics, which I need like a hole in the head, but a new mattress ... hmmm.

My ladyfriend is a wizard at couponing. Just yesterday, I drove her to a store where she had done a lot of research with coupons and store circulars she views on line. She also has a store discount card she can preload lots of discount offers from the store's website. When I went to pick her up, she had 12-15 bags of groceries including two 10-pound turkeys (39 cents a pound). She then told me the original cost of everything was $120 but after all of her coupons, she paid only $66! I was stunned.

Back
Top Bottom